2. “For a generation of customers usedto doing their buying research viasearch engine, a company’s brand isnot what the company says it is, butwhat Google says it is.” C H R I S A N D E R S ON , E D I T O R -I N - CHI EF O F W I R E D
3. HOW DOES SEARCH WORK?• Three kinds of traffic: – Direct – Referral – Search• Sites indexed by spiders or robots – Component of search engine that indexes web sites automatically. A search engine’s crawler (also called a spider or robot), copies web page source code into its index database and follows links to other web pages. (Source: Anvil Media glossary)• SEO makes sites spider-friendly
4. HOW DO YOU SEO?• Site map • Alt tags• Page hierarchy • Keywords• Page title • Content• URLs • Text links• Code • Back links• Meta tags
5. THE ORGANIZED SITE• Site map and page hierarchy –Shallow –Connected
6. WHAT’S IN A NAME• Page title –Watch out for length: (65-75 characters ) –Keep keywords close to the front. –Should be descriptive, readable, impactful –Use titles to increase branding awareness
7. EXAMPLE: PAGE TITLES CREDIT: SEOMOZ.ORG
8. LINKS MATTER• URLs –Should be descriptive, relevant –Shorter is better –Keyword use is important –Use hyphens to separate words in URLs
9. EXAMPLE: GOOD LINKING PRACTICES CREDIT: SEOMOZ.ORG
10. GOOD BONES• Code – Important info should be in HTML• Meta tags – Robots: noindex, nofollow, etc. – Description: Snippet under search result• Alt tags – Descriptive and keyword-friendly
11. A FEW WORDS ON KEYWORDS• Use words your customers use• Use mix of keywords• At least 2-3 times in body of page, more if lots of text• At least once in an alt tag• Once in the URL
13. THE MEAT OF THE THING• Content should be: –Unique –Relevant –Updated frequently –Canonicalized
14. WHO YOU KNOW• Back links – Links from popular sites – Links from topic community – Links from trusted domains – Anchor text of incoming links – Fresh links – Link neighborhood – Social network shares
15. HOW TO GET BACKLINKS• Editorial Links – News articles – Blog posts• Outreach Links – Blogroll link swaps – Site directories• Self-created Links – Blog comments – Forum signature
16. IN SUMMARY• Many contributing factors• Requires practice• Stay organized• Keep subject of site in mind• Resource: 15-Minute SEO Checklist http://www.webconfs.com/15-minute-seo.php• Resource: Google Webmaster Guidelines http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/ans wer.py?hl=en&answer=35769• Warning: Abusive SEO (spam) is dangerous.
17. THE GOLDEN RULEKeep your site clean, organized andsimple. It should be easy to navigatefor both humans AND robots.