history of google,facebook,twitter,linked in, youtubePresentation Transcript
By : Hajra Zaman
What are search engines?
• A program that searches documents for
specified keyword and returns a list of
documents where the keyword were found.
• Search engines are used for searching
information from websites through internet.
• Examine information personally.
• The search engines and directories help you
sift through all those 1’s and 0’s to find out
specific information you need.
• Example is Google.
History of Google
History of Google
• Google is an American Company.
• Created by Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
• They were Doctoral Students of Stanford
• Google’s idea was born in 1996.
• Search machines had serious problems all
how to show up information.
• That was the reason Page and Brin decided
to make a new and better Search Machine.
The Search Machine
• They had to download all the web pages in their
servers and make a good connection between
search machine result and users searches.
• This problem arisen from other search machines
and they had to solve it.
• The solution called Page Rank Algorithm.
• Very soon Google reached the top.
• They turned all the disadvantages into advantages.
More Google Technologies
• In 1st of April 2004, Gmail operated.
• A safe way to send Emails.
• Free registration because company’s profit
comes from adds.
• In the beginning the storage that was
offered, was 1GB.
• Today, Gmail offers a storage of 25 GB.
• In June 2012, Gmail users were more than
• In 11th December 2008, Google presented Google
• It was the basic Browser.
• We can find Google Chrome in three versions,
1. Google Chrome for laptops and desktops.
2. Chrome Android for mobile phones and tablets.
3. Google Chrome OS for Linux Software
• In 28th of June 2011, entered in social
media world by the creation of Google
• Google + has 540 million registered
• Is in on 5th position of social media.
Google new products
Google Music Cloud Service
A program that helps
people spend more time listening their music and
less time managing it. Once their music is online,
Its always available.
Play lists are automatically kept in sync and then
don’t have to worry about files transfers or
running out of storage space.
They are personal computers that run
Google Chrome OS. The devices comprise a
distinct class of personal computers falling
between pure cloud client and traditional laptop.
Who uses Google
5. Basically all literate people.
Why they use Google:
1. To determine location.
2. To be updated about the stocks.
3. To find information on certain subjects.
4. To look for specific person.
and so much more……
Why is it successful until now?
• Ability to adapt.
• Their work ethic philosophy, their aggressive stance in terms
of acquiring business, which they believe add value to their
• Providing an outstanding services to its users.
• Google is one of the most important
achievements of our ages.
• Offers job to the people who are trying to
make it more powerful.
• It tries to keep them mentally and physically
• The policy of Google make its employees be
BY :MALIHA ASAD
What is social networking?
Social networking is defined as:
• A phenomena defined by linking people to each
other in some way.
• A social networking service focuses online
communities of people who share interests or
activities or who are interested in exploring the
interests and activities of others.
WHAT IS FACEBOOK ?
• Facebook is a “social networking website.”
• Facebook is a free service that allows you to
create an online page to connect with friends
family or make new friends with anyone
• On facebook page you can share pictures,
personal information messages, videos, join
groups and add applications.
History of Facebook
• Facebook was founded in 2004 by Harvard
student Mark E.Zuckerberg with the help of his
roomates Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes.
• Facebook was for Harvard students then
expanded to other other colleges then to
anyone over the age of 18, and now currently to
anyone 13 years of age or older.
• Company’s over view:
“Facebook’s mission is to give people
the power to share and make the world more
open and connected”.
Facebook is a social networking
website. You can access facebook by
login into www.facebook.com
Staying safe on
Available on www.facebook.com/safety :
Some important safety tips using facebook:
•Keep amount of private information you
post to a minimum .
•Never post information like your address,
birthday, telephone number, class
schedule, or anything else that you would
not want a stranger to know.
•Keep your password a secret.
•Be cautious about posting and sharing
personal information, especially information
that could be used to identify you or locate
you offline, such as your address or
•Block and report anyone who sends you
unwanted or inappropriate
Advantages of Facebook
• Facebook is the free and its one of the best
medium of communication.
• Facebook allows people to connect, to learn
from each other, to discuss issues, view
points and share advice.
• Facebook provides entertainment, tons of
gaming and other applications.
• Facebook as a source of information & news.
•Through Facebook Ads and Fans page you can
advertise your business.
• As it is a social network it’s a great way to
keep people in touch with friends and also
make new friends.
• Facebook has the good privacy setting which
gives you the option to customize according
to your wish.
• You can also join groups having same likes
Disadvantages of Facebook
• Facebook addiction causes many problems.
• Fake profile.
• Bad effects on students results.
• Used by criminal minds.
• Sharing too much information could become
a problem so share only what you a
comfortable with your sharing.
Facebook should be used in limit
and for any good purpose. One
should not be addict to it.
By :AMAIZA SHAFIQ.
What is twitter?
• Twitter is an online social
networking and micro blogging
service that enables users to send
and read short 140-character text
messages, called "tweets".
Registered users can read and post
tweets, but unregistered users can
only read them
Founders of Twitter
Bizz stone Noah glass
Evan William Jack Dorsey
History of Twitter
History of Twitter
• Twitter was started on 21st March 2006.
• Site launched : July 2006.
• When the podcasting company Odeo
realized they needed to reinvent
themselves and began brainstorming new
• Jack Dorsey introduced the idea of creating
an SMS: first twitter message 9:50 pm,
"just setting up my twttr"
• Dorsey has explained the origin of
we came across the word 'twitter', and it was
just perfect. The definition was 'a short burst
of inconsequential information,' and 'chirps
from birds'. And that's exactly what the
• The tipping point for Twitter's
popularity was the 2007 South by
Southwest Interactive (SXSWi)
conference. During the event, Twitter
usage increased from 20,000 tweets per
day to 60,000
•NEY YORK CITY
• Twitter moved up to the third-
networking site in January
2009 from its previous rank of
• March 2010: 70,000 registered
• In August 2010, the company
appointed Adam Bain
from News Corp's Fox
Audience Network as
president of revenue.
• Twitter staff received the
festival's Web Award prize
with the remark
"we'd like to thank you in
140 characters or less. And we
• On June 5, 2012, a modified
logo was unveiled through the
company blog, removing the
text to showcase the slightly
redesigned bird as the sole
symbol of Twitter
• The service rapidly gained
worldwide popularity, with 500
million registered users in 2012,
who posted 340 million tweets
• In 2013 Twitter was one of the
ten most-visited websites
Posting Video Uploading
Real-time updates from other users
By: Tasmeena Zakaullah
• LinkedIn is a business-oriented social
networking service. Founded in
December 2002 and launched on May
5, 2003, it is mainly used for
• The site is available in 20 languages,
including English, French, German,
Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch,
Swedish, Danish, Romanian, Russian,
Turkish, Japanese, Czech, Polish,
Korean, Indonesian, Malay, and
• The company was founded by Reid Hoffman
• Founder Reid Hoffman, previously CEO of
LinkedIn, is now Chairman of the Board
• LinkedIn is headquartered in Mountain View,
California, with offices in Omaha, Chicago, New
York, London, and Dublin.
• AS of 2 July 2013, Quantcast reports LinkedIn
has 65.6 million monthly unique U.S. visitors
and 178.4 million globally, a number that as of
29 October 2013 has increased to 184 million.
In June 2011, LinkedIn had 33.9 million unique
visitors, up 63 percent from a year earlier and
surpassing MySpace. LinkedIn filed for an
initial public offering in January 2011 and
traded its first shares on May 19, 2011, under
the NYSE symbol "LNKD".
• As of 2013, LinkedIn has more than
259 million members in over 200
countries and territories. It is
significantly ahead of its competitors
Viadeo (50 million) and XING (10
million). The membership grows by
approximately two new members
every second. With 20 million users,
India has the fastest-growing network
of users as of 2013.
• In January 2014, the
countries with the most
LinkedIn users were.
Country user penetration
United states 93 millions 29.90%
India 24 millions 2.02%
Brazil 16 millions 7.69%
United kingdom 14 millions 22.41%
Canada 9 millions 25.82%
France 7 millions 9.91%
Spain 6 millions 11.54%
Italy 6 millions 9.88%
Mexico 6 millions 4.72%
Australia 6 millions 23.88%
• Purpose of the sites is to allow
registered users to maintain a list of
contact details of people with whom
they have some level of relationship,
called Connections. Users can invite
anyone (whether a site user or not) to
become a connection.
the list of connection can then be
in a number of ways.
• A contact network is built up consisting of their
direct connections, This can be used to gain an
introduction to someone a person wishes to know
through a mutual contact.
• It can then be used to find jobs, people and
business opportunities recommended by someone
in one's contact network.
• Employers can list jobs and search for potential
• Users can post their own photos and view photos of
others to aid in identification.
• Users can see who has visited their profile page.
• Job seekers can review the profile of
hiring managers and discover which of
their existing contacts can introduce
• Users can now follow different
companies and can receive notifications
about the new joining and offers
• Users can "like" and "congratulate" each
other's updates and new employments.
• A mobile version of the site was
launched in February 2008, which gives
access to a reduced feature set over a
• The mobile service is available in six
languages: Chinese, English, French,
German, Japanese and Spanish
By: Faiza Shahzad
What is you tube?
• Founded in 2005 .
• site where user can views videos and(
if willingly) create their own content
for the world to see.
• Some have created video blog sand
based on factual we have opinions are
now what we called “citizen
You tube video sharing sites
• Founded by:
• Ched Hurley
• Steve Chen
• Jawed Karim
• You tube early head quarter were
situated above a pizzeria and Japanese
restaurant in San Mateo, California. The
domain name www.youtube.com was
activated on 14 February 2005.The first
you tube video was entitled “ME AT THE
ZOO” and shows co-founder Jawed
Karim at the SAN DEIGO ZOO. The video
was uploaded on April 23,2005 and can
still be viewed on site.
Table of content
• Dates and figures.
• Facts about YouTube.
• Factor which made YouTube a hit.
• Launch and marketing strategy.
• Exit analysis.
Dates and figures
• Founded on 14 February 2005.
• Launched its product in may 2005.
• Got their first funding of $3.5mn from
sucoia capital in October 2005.
• Got the second phase of funding of
$8mn from sucoia capital in April 2006.
• Acquired by goggle in $1.65mn in
Facts about you tube
• Fastest growing website in internet industry.
• On average 100mn videos streamed per day.
• 65,000 videos are uploaded daily.
• You tube has 45 tetra bytes= 45,000 GB of
• More than 13 millions new users every
• An average user spend 30min on you tube.
What are the other factors which
made a company a big hit ?
• Widget marketing.
• Distribution of popular content.
• Right technology for the desired user
• Environmental factors.
• You tube was acquired by Google in $mn.
• Sequoia, who invested $11.5mn in two
phases has 30% stake in you tube which
worth around $495mn.
• Ched Harley (CEO) got $345.6mn.
• Steve Chen (CTO) got $326.2mn.
• Jawed Karim got $64.6mn.
• On October 2006 Google purchase you
tube for more than $1.7B.Goggle name
it “THE NEXT STEP IN THE EVOLUTION
• In summer 2007 ads first appear on
YouTube. They take up bottom 20% of
each video. Today, you tube advertising
revenues will top $ 5.6billion for 2013.
• In December 2008 you tube first offer high
definition content. Actually, there is only
10% of HD content total on you tube.
• In 2010 you tube registered one billion video
views per day.
• By 2011 you tube had more than 1 trillion
total views. It mean there were almost 140
views for every person on earth.
In December 2012 “GANGNAM
STYLE” becomes the first you tube
video to reach a billion views. Its the
most popular video overate
1.95billion views since April 2014.
Today more than 6billion hour of video
are watched each month on you
tube.100 hours of video are uploaded to
you tube every minute.
Analysis and review
Based also upon the fact that you tube has had
an ever increasing role in opinion and what
we view in the media, especially political…I
decided to see what question and specific
answers were given during the 2007
Presidential debate that you tube and CNN