Our Fourth Grade Team Welcomes
• To promote a positive self-image in each
• To provide a positive learning environment
which focuses on cooperation and respect for
• To tailor our educational approaches to meet
the needs of all students in our classes.
• Your fourth grader will have two teachers this
• Social Studies is integrated into the Reading
• Extended Learning Time
Daily for 50 minutes
Students receive individual support for their
curricular needs and use knowledge they have
• Novel Units
• Reading groups
• Students should be reading at least 20 minutes
each night. Reading logs should be initialed
daily, by a parent, starting the second week of
• Writing Workshop- writing process
• Types of writing your child will accomplish.
• Writing modes
• Problem Solving
• Number and Numeration Concepts
• Operations and Computation
• Mountain Math
• Computation facts
• Life Science
• Earth Science
• Physical Science
• Technology and hands-on activities are a part
of the science activities.
• Students go to the science lab about once
every two weeks.
• Texas history is the emphasis of the curriculum.
• Map skills as they relate to Texas
• Research skills as they relate to Texas
• Literature and Writing will also be incorporated
to reinforce skills.
• Current events will be integrated as well.
• Polly Ann McRoberts Elementary follows the
Katy ISD Grading and Reporting
guidelines, and children receive the grades
• Students who receive failing grades on tests
will be given an opportunity to retest for a
• McRoberts has a school wide discipline plan, Love and
Logic. For more information go to
• The Expectations Chart will go home daily. Please
initial the card and return it the next day.
• Students receiving 0-3 marks at the end of the nine
weeks will become Self-Managers. They will be allowed
special privileges throughout the nine weeks.
• Students receiving zero marks for the six weeks will
become Independent Self-Managers and will no longer
need the assistance of the card. More information will
come to you if your child qualifies for this honor.
• An office referral warrants an N or U on the Report card.
• Student lunch is $2.00 and adult lunch is $2.85.
• Snacks- Healthy, dry snacks. Please do not
send snacks that need to be eaten with a
spoon. No juice or soda.
Please do not send peanuts or peanut by-
products due to severe allergies on the
• Birthday invitations cannot be distributed at school.
Cupcakes or cookies may be brought to school for
your child’s birthday. Please do not send a cake.
• Birthdays are celebrated during recess.
• Parents are not permitted to attend the classroom
celebration or recess.
• Please do not send flowers, balloons, treat bags,
pencils, juice, etc.
Odds and Ends
• Medications should be turned into the school
• Cameras and video recording are only allowed
at public events, such as evening programs.
• Home Access Center is a great way to stay
updated electronically. Please sign up in the
computer lab before you go home if you have
not already done so.
KISD Safety Net
• Forms are provided outside the counselor’s
• The forms are used to report the following.
Acts of violence
• Identification is required for all visitors.
• A picture ID will be scanned and the visitor
must wear a printed ID tag.
• The tag must be returned to the office as the
visitor leaves the building.
• The following types of ID are allowed:
Valid Drivers License
State-Issued I.D. Card
• Communication between the parent and teacher is
• Student Planners
The planner is designed to help your child organize his/
her homework assignments, projects, and other related
Please initial the planner daily.
Planners are available for $3.00 cash.
• Tuesday Folders
Contain graded work and important school information.
Review the material and return the folder on Wednesday.
• Expectations Card
Provides feedback to parents about student behavior
The back of the card may be used for communication
between parents and teacher.
• Contacting the Teacher
Your child’s teacher will make every effort to
return emails and phone calls within 24 hours.
Students must bring a signed and dated note
when they return.
Students checked out early will still be counted
as a partial absence.
• Transportation Changes
Changes are only made with a signed and dated
note sent to the office.
• Toys are not allowed at school unless
requested in writing by the teachers.
• Junior Achievement Volunteers Needed
Contact your child’s teacher if you’re interested!
Thank You for Coming!
We are all looking forward to a
terrific year with your fourth grader!