2. The city of the dreaming spires <ul><li>Oxford is a British city in Oxfordshire, in the south of England .
3. This is “the city of the dreaming spires”.The University buildings are very beautiful. </li></ul>
4. An industrial city <ul><li>It has 150.000 inhabitants, approximately.
5. Oxford is an industrial city. It has a car factory in Cowley. They are Morris cars. </li></ul>
6. A university city The University of Oxford is very old and famous. The first colleges in Oxford are the University College (1249), Balliol College (1263) and Merton College (1264). Most of the colleges buildings are in the centre of Oxford.
7. Carfax <ul><li>This tower is in the center of the city. You can see the city from it.
8. Carfax means “place where four roads meet”. </li></ul>
9. Bodleian Library <ul><li>This is the main research library in the University.
10. It is one of the oldest libraries in Europe. </li></ul>
11. Radcliffe camera <ul><li>It was a science library in 1748.
12. Now, it is a reading room of the Bodleian library.
13. It holds some 600.000 books in underground roooms.
14. It has paintings on the walls and the ceiling. </li></ul>
15. Sheldonian Theatre <ul><li>The theatre is named after Gilbert Sheldon, one president of the University.
16. There are concerts, recitals, lectures and degree ceremonies in this building.
17. It is from 1669, and it is similar to the Theatre of Marcellus in Rome. </li></ul>
18. Ashmolean Museum <ul><li>This is the first University museum.
19. It is an art gallery and an archaeology museum from 1683.
20. It has the world's largest collection of astrolabes. </li></ul>
21. Bibliography <ul><li>www.oxfordcity.co.uk
23. Oxford in your pocket, Intermap
24. Google images </li></ul>
25. Slideshow done by: Daniel de Rojas Malpartida and Gabriel López Callejo 5ºE