• What are tests for?
• Reasons for testing
• Basic concepts of taking test
• Types of test elicitation techniques
• How to design a test
• How to administer test
• A test may be defined as an activity whose main
purpose is to convey how well the testee knows or
can do something.
• Feedback on knowledge
• Tests may be used as a means to:
• Give the teacher information about where the
students are and help the teacher decide what to
• Give the student information about what they know
and what they need to learn or review.
• Motivate students to learn specific material
• Get a noisy class to keep quiet and concentrate.
• Provide a clear indication that the class has reached
a station in learning.
• Get students to make an effort,which is likely to lead
to better results and feeling of satisfaction.
• Give students tasks and challenges
• Provide students with a sense of achievement and
progress in learning.
• A test should consists on following concepts.
• The theoretical
• The distinction between the following pairs of
• -achievement vs proficiency tests
• -diagnostic vs prognostic tests
• -discrete point vs integrative tests
• -subjective vs objective tests
BASIC CONCEPT OF
as a test, quiz, or
are told in
they need to
An informal testing
usually occurs in a
manner and may
1.Question and answers
Simple questions may require short or long answers
Can be used to test almost every thing.
A statement is to be marked as true or false.
Used to test
listening or reading
Does not test speaking or writing.
Student has to select the right option
Used for the same testing purpose as T or F
Easy to mark
Difficult to design.
Usually tests vocabulary
Awkward to administer orally
Difficult to compose
Usually tests grammar or vocabulary
Tedious to compose
Easily administered in writing than speech
Marking is simple
Word are omitted at regular intervals
Vocabulary and grammar
Easy to prepare and administer
To translate sentences or passages
Items are easy to compose and administer
Marking may sometimes more difficult
To change the sentence according to given instructions.
Easy to design administer and mark
Used to test grammar
Marking is fairly straight forward
Designing A TEST
• Prepare your test.
• List in writing all the material that you want your test
• Administer your test to a class of learners.
• Look at how your test was done.
• Ask the students how they felt about it.
Steps For Designing
The actual design of test,whether oral or
written,formal or informal is,of course,important,but
it is not the end of the story.How the test is actually
administered and returned can make a huge
difference to motivation and performance;in
particular,sensitive presentation of a test can
significantly reduce learners anxiety.
Things to keep in mind for administring a test
• Before the test
2. Marking Criteria
3. Information about time,place,limitation and rules
4. Tips to cope up with test
5. Guidance for preparation
Steps For Administring
• Giving the Test
1. Importance of administring test
2. Instructions before giving test
3. Addition of anything during distribution of
4. Your behaviour passive or interactive during
• After the Test
1. Time which you take for checking and returning the
2. Discuss paper after checking with students.
3. Demand or follow up work on the part of the
• Test is conducted to assess the testee or to get
feedback on knowledge.
• They developes an atmosphere of competetion if
they are designed and adminiterd properly.
• They should be conducted sytematically.
• If all the above points should be kept in mind,they
will be more result -oriented and will fulfill all the
purposes of conducting test.