Survey design We carried out a survey to find out what Singaporeans think about the concept of National Identity and how it applies to us. This survey was split into three sections General questions about Singaporean identity Singaporean Literature Singaporean Food
Profile of people who took survey The age group of the people who took the survey ranges from 13 to 18 years of age These people come from different family background but 100 % of them are Singaporean
1. In your opinion, do Singaporeans have a national identity?
2. If so, what is your impression of the Singaporean identity? kiasukiasi and casual. Small but successful country. A united nation consisting of different races and religions Unique
3. If not, why? Other reasons would include: Singapore being a young nation, Lack of historical background and the cultural invasion of foreign media etc.
4. Using 5 words or less, give a general description of Singaporeans Adaptable, casual, picky, high expectations Obedient but complaining lot people's action party Unsociable, but not bad people. educated , fast- pace ,kind people slippers t shirt shorts The 5Cs kiaxikiasukanchiong rigid Love their own people Apathetic, self-centered and materialistic Conformists Pampered, immature in thoughts Unable to enjoy Pessimistic. Diverse Influenced by many cultures Easy going and billingual Like to complain a lot. Kiasu but quite nice lah.
6. Approximately how many English books published by Singaporean authors have you read? 16% 60% 8% 10% 6%
7. Are you able to list down at least five national songs that are usually sang during Singapore's National Day Parades?
8. Do you see food as being part of a national identity?
9. If yes, why? It is unique to our country It makes us feel at home Local food encompasses the cultures of all races in Singapore
10. Are you able to list down five examples of local food that can be found in most hawker centres around Singapore?
Significance of survey results From the first question, we can see that only about half of the surveyed people think that we have a national identity This shows that the Singaporean Identity is not yet obvious and distinct Also, we can see that Singaporeans do indeed have some awareness of our local literature and national songs so it is possible that a national identity can be created from of this aspect Finally, we can also conclude that food plays a part in what defines us as Singaporeans because it is one of the things that we have in common.