1. WHAT IS A SMARTPHONE?• A smartphone is a mobile phone built on a mobile operating systems, with more advanced computing system than a regular phone.• Some examples are Google’s Android, Apple’s iOS, Nokia’s Symbian, RIM’s Blackberry OS, Samsung’s Bada, and Microsoft’s Windows Phone.
2. • To classify a smartphone originally, it had to contain a personal digital assistant (PDA) with a mobile phone.• Later, smartphones began to contain portable media players, low-end compact cameras, pocket video cameras, and GPS navigation units.• Modern smartphones usually contain touchscreens and web browsers that display
3. • The first cellular device to incorporate a PDA system was developed in 1992 and demonstrated at the computer industry trade show.• The Simon was the first device to be properly referred to as a “smartphone”.• It contained address book, calendar, appointment scheduler, calculator, world time clock, games, electronic note pad,
4. • In 1996, Nokia released the Nokia 9000. It was a palmtop computer-style phone combined with a PDA from HP.• In the late 1990’s, most phones could only do basic functions so most people carried PDA’s.• In early 2001, Palm, Inc. introduced Kyocera 6035, the first smartphone of the United States. It had a PDA system and was part of Verizon
5. THE FIRST SMARTPHONES THE NOKIA THE SIMON 9000
6. GOOGLE’S ANDROID-Android is an open- source platform founded in October 2003 by Andy Rubin-The Android consists of many applications, inclu ding ones made by Google.
7. APPLE’S IOS-In 2007, Apple introduced the iPhone, one of the first mobile phones to use a multi-touch interface.-The iPhone is known for its large touchscreen for direct finger input.
8. NOKIA’S SYMBIAN-Symbian is a mobile-operating system originally developed by Psion and later passed on to Accenture.-The first Symbian was released in 2000 and had a touchscreen.
9. RIM’S BLACKBERRY OS- In 1999, RIM released its first BlackBerry devices, making secure real-time push- email communication s possible on wireless devices.
10. SAMSUNG’S BADA- The Bada operating system for smartphones was announced by Samsung on 10 November 2009.- The first Bada- based phone was the Samsung Wave S8500, released on June 1, 2010.
11. MICROSOFT’S WINDOWS PHONE- On February 15, 2010, Microsoft unveiled its next- generation mobile OS, Windows Phone 7.- It includes full integration of Microsoft services.