The southwest side of King Street Station facing northeast. Temporary taxi/bus waiting area in foreground left.
South side of King Street Station facing north. King County Odor Control Facility in the foreground.
Southeast side of the Station. Sound Transit’s Sounder commuter rail platform in the foreground, Seattle’s downtown skyline in the background.
A close-up view of Sounder commuter rail platform with southeast side of station in the background.
Looking southwest at demolition vehicles on the Station’s Jackson plaza from 2 nd Ave. Ext.
Looking up at the Station’s 245 foot clock tower from the west side of the building. From it’s opening in 1906 until completion of the Smith Tower in 1914, King Street Station was Seattle’s tallest building. The paint outline on the left side of the building shows were an obsolete escalator addition was removed to restore the Grand Staircase connecting Jackson Plaza to the main waiting area.
King Street Station at dusk looking northwest from 4 th Ave. S. The Sounder Platform is in the foreground.
The iconic King Street Station neon sign glows in the dusk looking south across Jackson Plaza. The Plaza will be rebuilt to current seismic and structural standards.
Phase I of the project restored the Station’s clock dials, hands, numerals and glass face. A new lighting system was also added to illuminate the four clock faces.
The suspended ceiling is finally removed to expose the Station’s historic, ornamental plaster ceiling. A “modernization” renovation in 1963 covered the waiting room’s magnificent ceiling, marble walls and light fixtures.
A view of the ceiling transition from above as tiles are removed. A substantial portion of the waiting room’s high ceiling was closed off, blocking light from the upper windows. Concrete blocks cover an ornate balcony where the public once looked down onto the waiting area. The blocks were removed to prepare for an eventual remodel of the second floor.
After 11 p.m., when the Station is quiet, crews worked for several nights to remove the suspended ceiling.
A daytime view of ceiling removal halfway to completion.
Passengers now have a full look of the plaster ceiling.
With all 1,600 acoustical tiles removed, crews moved on to take down the steel grid that suspended them.
This close-up shows the true beauty of the original ceiling.
Progress is made removing the steel grid, as well as unused utilities and heating units that were stored in the ceiling.
With the grid gone, there is a wonderful view. The florescent lighting will remain in the interim until the historic chandeliers can be restored.
Just below the ceiling a balcony wraps around the waiting room.
Crews have begun removing blocks to open the balcony, though it will be closed to the public until second floor restoration is finished.
SDOT is seeking funding to complete restoration of the ceiling, walls and light fixtures consistent with the restored Compass Room entry shown below balcony, right of center.
A fully restored waiting room will provide more space for passengers.
The walls above and below the lower light fixtures in the background are a glimpse of what full restoration would look like.
As part of Phase II ticketing will be moved to the north of the waiting room, opening this space to passengers.
The hanging wires have been cut to about a foot. During restoration they will be removed.
The terrazzo and decorative glass mosaic floor remain in tact after more than 100 years of service.
Imagine the fluorescents and wires removed with fine chandeliers for light.
The floor does show signs of settlement, wear and tear, especially this 25 foot crack.