Sponsored R&D is at the center of SRI’s integrated business model. Our focus is always on meeting client and market needs to create and deliver new value, whether the outcome is an R&D solution, technology license, new product or spin-off venture. SRI International was founded as Stanford Research Institute, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, by Stanford University in 1946. SRI became independent of the university in 1970, and we changed our name to SRI International in 1977 to reflect our growing reach. Today, we are one of the world’s most diverse independent R&D organizations. Our mission has been constant: SRI is committed to discovery and to the application of science and technology for knowledge, commerce, prosperity, and peace. As a nonprofit organization, we have the freedom—and passion—to focus on problems on national and global importance such as health, education, and security.
1. NLP in Practice
10th National Natural Language Processing Research
Symposium, February 22, 2014
De La Salle University
2. About Me
Allan C. Tan, PMP, SCEA
Catch ‘97 CS-CT
3. About Me
4. Who is spending?
5. SRI International
SRI International is a nonprofit, independent research and innovation
center serving government and industry.
• Mapping the legal genome to help you understand the law.
• Using highly specialized case law parsing and algorithmically
assisted human review to turn unstructured court opinions into
• Organizes and helps make sense of massive information for
better decision making.
• Judicata has raised $2M and $5.8M seed funding.
Siri is an intelligent personal assistant and
knowledge navigator; Uses NLP to answer
questions, make recommendations and
Apple bought Siri, Inc. last 2010 for
amount between $100M - $200M.
8. Siri, Inc.
In 2000, DARPA asked SRI to investigate the
feasibility of a “personal assistant that
learns”. CALO was born.
In 2006, Siri spin-off was created. Original
idea is to accept as text input.
In 2008, a series A funding amounting to
$8.5M followed by $15M series B funding.
9. So, What Worked?
• Initial research was government funded
• Bayh-Dole Act of 1980 allows licensing
of IP from federally funded research
• Increased processing power on mobile
• Voice recognition is now more
• 3G signal allows faster network data
• Summly is a news summarization app
developed by Nick D’Aloisio-Montilla.
• Nick developed Summly at age of 15.
Youngest person to receive venture
funding. He was also Time’s 100 most
• Summly used technology from SRI
• As for March 2013, Summly was sold to
Yahoo! for reportedly $30M.
11. Brief History
• March 2011, Nick developed Trimit application for iOS.
• Li Ka-shing initially invested $300,000.
• In December 2011, Nick redeveloped the app to Summly based
on feedback and criticism from users.
• In November 2012, Nick received $1M funding from Li KaShing.
• In March 2013, Yahoo! buys Summly for $30M.
• Summly is now Yahoo! News Digest
12. What Worked?
Funding support from VCs.
App Store for distribution.
Summly was #1 in App Store under news category.
Reading long news on the phone will not work.
Simple interface and swipe gestures.
13. Company Orientation
14. Four Technology Megatrends
Courtesy of PSIA
15. Social Media Trends
16. Mobile Trends
17. Cloud Trends
18. Big Data
19. My Real World Experience
Virtual Extraction Engine
•80+% accuracy is not acceptable
•Consider other external factors
•Present solution accordingly
•High Cost of R&D
20. My Real World Experience
21. Potential Areas of Research
NLP aims to bridge the gap between human and machines. As such,
NLP is applicable in areas where there is human interaction
• Human Resources
• Many more…
• Customer Service
• Virtual Assistants
• Human Resources
• Social Media
22. Questions to Ask
•Who is my target market?
•How large is my target market? How much can they spend?
•What is the problem I’m trying to solve?
•How am I solving the problem?
•Why will they use my solution?
•How much are they willing to pay for my solution?
•Who is doing this right now?
•Why is mine better?
23. SRI NABC Approach
“The only way to come up with something new—something world
changing—is to think outside of the constraints everyone else has.
You have to think outside of the artificial limits everyone else has
already set.” - Steve Jobs
26. PSIA Spring.ph
• SPRING.ph 2014 program includes monthly meet-ups dubbed as
“TechTalks” for startups, quarterly LaunchPad events, monthly
coaching sessions, and a startup competition for schools.
• Student Startup Competition
27. Thank You!
Allan C. Tan, PMP, SCEA