1. FUTURE OF INSIGHT DELIVERYRIGHT INTEL CLIENT SUMMIT 2013ALISA LEONARD // @ALISAMLEOALISAMLEO@GMAIL.COMALISA@SOCIALDEVIANT.COM+++
2. INSIGHTS plural of in·sight (Noun)The capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitiveunderstanding of a person or thing.
3. INSIGHTS are the backbone of every agency.Staying smart isn’t a chore, it’s a culture.Thought leadership Trends & culture shiftIndustry knowledge Subject matter expertiseBusiness intelligence Performance & optimizationIdeas Application & executionSales Value-creation
4. SMARTERClient’s business
5. SMARTERMarketing performance
6. SMARTERIndustry & competitors
7. SMARTERTrends & consumer behavior
8. SMARTERCultural inflection points
9. SMARTER. PERIOD.
10. 3 THINGSWE’LL COVER TODAY1. Marketing The Big Shift2. Agencies & Insights An approach to insight delivery3. Right Intel in action socialdeviant + Right Intel + Kellogg School of Management
11. 1. THE BIG SHIFTA SOCIALLY CONNECTED WORLD Non-linear storytelling. Brands are are stories Co-creation. Brand stories are social, co-created narratives ZMOT. Marketing is just-in-time content & conversation Always-on. Engagement is always-on and programmatic Iterative & adaptive. Execution is iterative and adaptive
12. FROM >> TO ALWAYS-ON // REAL-TIME STORYTELLINGFROM: TO: Site Paid BRAND STORY SOCIAL SPACES Advertising CONTENT MIX Owned PARTNER 3RD PARTY INFLUENCERS Social Earned From fixed channel model to federated content model
14. SO WHAT?REAL-TIME INSIGHTS FOR REAL-TIME MARKETING DISCOVERY & STRATEGY CONTENT MIX TEST & MODELING & ITERATIE ENGAGEMENT PLANNING MEASURE REAL-TIME PRODUCTION, CURATION, SOLICITATION INSIGHTS PLATFORM COMMUNITY CROSS- MANAGEMENT PLATFORM + INFLUENCER ACTIVATION OUTREACH ACTIVE CHANNEL LISTENING OPTIMIZATION
15. 2. AGENCIESINSIGHTS FUEL THE AGENCY VALUE CHAIN SALES >> SOLUTIONS >> CLIENT CARE >> PERFORMANCE >> GROWTH THOUGHT LEADERSHIP EXPERTISE CLIENT SUCCESS CONSUMER INDUSTRY & CLIENT &CULTURAL TRENDS BEHAVIOR COMPETITORS PERFORMANCE
16. THE CHALLENGE AGENCY PAIN POINTSI’m data-rich but information poor We have too many tools, and I don’t use half of them (or know how to)Insights are often siloed across Reporting is a 4-letter wordteams and functionsThere’s a gap between insights and Delivering insights to clients isapplication, knowledge and action painful. PPT is a 4-letter word
17. FROM >> TOTIME TO SHIFT FROM TO Ad hoc Always-on & Just-In-Time Siloed Federated Channel Impact What So-What Charts & data Context & human truths Reporting Storytelling One-way Client collaboration Task MO
18. INSIGHTS 5C’S AN APPROACH FOR AGENCIESCONSTIUENTS CONTENT• Who are the internal teams? • What do they need to know?• Clients audiences? • Quant & Qual?• Industry audiences? • What are the stories we need to tell?• What are their needs // barriers? • Where will the information come from?CONTEXT COLLABORATION• How does this affect our client’s business? • Who contributes?• What’s the “so-what”? • How do we involve clients?• How are we delivering the right stories to • Ho do we leverage influencers and innovators? the right client audiences at the right time?CONTINUITY• How do we proactively apply insight to action?• How do we track our progress?
19. CENTERED ON HUMAN TRUTHS DATA > CONTEXT > HUMAN TRUTH > INSIGHT HUMAN TRUTH INSIGHT APPLY IT Be human. Break down walls to not onlyPeople are inherently Letting them look behind the curtain humanize the brand, but also buildvoyeuristic. can be very powerful. connections between brand and customer by giving them access.Everybody wants to be Engagement can happen Inspire expression. Give consumers aseen and heard. anywhere, at anytime. platform to express themselves.People are Whether it’s TV, social Optimize for non-linear consumption.unpredictable, and discover media, digital, print, or Content stories should be consistent,content differently. WOM, discovery points differ for regardless of discovery platform or time. everyone.People tend to follow, not People are easily influenced. Find and feed the influencers. Build andlead. But they do want to grow an army of advocates.be lead.Attention makes people It doesn’t take much to make a Talk with, not at customers. Use socialfeel good. customer feel special. media to deliver on customer needs.
20. THE FUTURE OF INSIGHTDELIVERY lies in contextualizingquantitative data and qualitativeinformation to tell an actionable brandnarrative centered around key businessquestions, anchored by human truths
21. RIGHT INTELSTORIESMEANSINGFUL BRAND NARRATIVES
22. 3. EXAMPLE // IN ACTIONPRINCIPLES // APPLYING THE 5C’S Engage all constituents. From strategy to creative, internal and client teams, senior to junior, everyone contributes & consumes Curate the right content, and a bit from left-field. Quantitative data, trending news, conversation, qualitative thinking, case studies, innovations centered around key Kellogg marketing questions. And sometimes not. Context is king. What’s important, what it means, how we apply it Collaboration = better insights. Insights are a two-way street, Kellogg is a partner in thinking and doing Continuity is crucial. Always-on delivery // process for applying insights, tracking progress and internalizing new learnings
23. HOW WE DO ITTARGET INSIGHTS // AUDIENCE NEEDS FOCUS ON INSIGHTS THAT MEET THE NEEDS OF SPECIFIC CLIENT AUDIENCES ADMISSIONS MARCOMM DEAN & BOARD Quick-wins Marketing Strategic Business Best practices Performance Intelligence
24. HOW WE DO IT THINK EDITORIALLY // CONTENT MIXThemes & Topics Sources Formats Frequency + VolumeWhat are our core What sources of data Which are the bestinsight themes based and information do we formats to both How often and howon client business need to curate content internalize and publish much are delivering?objectives? from? our insights?Which topic categoriesladder up to thesethemes?
25. HOW WE DO ITINTERNAL KNOWLEDGE SHARING// STAYING SMART • Content mix • Editorial calendar • Responsibility maps • Daily publishing • Testing & application
26. HOW WE DO ITINSIGHT & IDEA DELIVERY //TRACKING IDEA IMPLEMENTATION • Content mix • Editorial calendar • Responsibility maps • Daily publishing • Testing & application • Implementation tracking
27. THE UPSHOTSMARTER SOCIALDEVIANT,SMARTER CLIENT, DEEPER RELATIONSHIP • RETAINED INSIGHTS & IP DELIVERY ENGAGEMENT • “ONE TEAM” MENTALITY • 95% OF IDEAS IMPLEMENTED • ACCOUNT GROWTH • ELEVATED TO LEAD AGENCY ROLE • SMARTER WORKFLOW & HIGHER MARGIN
28. “I so appreciate all that you have donefor Kellogg…It means a lot to me andto Kellogg. You (socialdeviant) energizeand inspire me each time we meet.”– Dean, Kellogg School of Management
29. INSIGHTS are brand stories, marketing triumphsand happy clients waiting to happen.RIGHT INTEL helps us make it happen.
30. THANK YOURIGHT INTEL CLIENT SUMMIT 2013ALISA LEONARD // @ALISAMLEOALISAMLEO@GMAIL.COMALISA@SOCIALDEVIANT.COM+++