What is recycling?
PROCESSES OF Recycling
BENEFITS OF RECYCLING
COMPOSITION OF DAILY WASTES
RECYCLING AT HOME
Easy ways to recycle and use
A THOUGHT TO PONDER UPON
SAVE YOUR PLANET!
What is Recycling?
• Recycling is a process in which waste materials are treated in a
way that they can be used again.
• Recycling is a key component of modern waste
management and is the third component of the "Reduce, Reuse,
Recycle" waste hierarchy.
• Recyclable materials include many kinds
of glass, paper, metal, plastic, textiles, and electronics.
• Materials to be recycled are either brought to a collection center
or picked up from the curbside, then sorted, cleaned, and
reprocessed into new materials bound for manufacturing.
Processes Of Recycling :
The first step required for recycling is collecting recyclable
materials from communities.
Families who recycle items such as paper, bottles and cans,
place the items in recycling collection bins. These bins
usually have the recycling symbol on them.
The second step involves processing the recyclable
materials. This includes sorting the materials into groups,
cleaning them and getting them ready to be sold to
manufacturers who will turn the materials into new
Manufacturing is the third step in the recycling process.
Many items you may see every day are made from
recycled materials. Newspapers, paper towels, office
paper, plastic bottles and aluminum cans are not only
made of recycled materials, but they can also be recycled
The last step, but certainly not the least, involves the
purchasing of recycled products. When consumers
purchase products that have been made with post
consumer material the recycling process has been
completed and can then be repeated. If you have the
choice to purchase a product made from recycled
materials, instead of one that was not, what do you
think you should do? It takes education and awareness
to remember to recycle and purchase recycled products.
Benefits Of Recycling
• Recycling helps reduce the amount of trash that is disposed of
• Recycling, rather than throwing things away, is also better for
• Currently it is believed that the amount of carbon dioxide in
the earth’s atmosphere is causing global warming which can
have devastating long term effects.
• Recycling is one of many ways that people can cut down the
amount of carbon dioxide that is released into our atmosphere.
• Purchasing recycled paper is also better for the environment
because it takes less energy to produce recycled paper and
saves some trees along the way.
Composition Of Daily Waste
Recycling at Home
• Apart from the items you may recycle at home, many
other things such as old tires, computers, mattresses,
cars and more are recycled for parts and materials.
• The best way to avoid wasting valuable resources is
to reduce consumption in the first place. For items
that are used and can’t be re-used, recycling offers
• One of the best things you can do is learn more about
recycling, and especially to spread the word and
encourage others to recycle as much as possible. Does
your family recycle? It is never to late to start
conserving our precious resources.
Easy Ways to Recycle and Use
How to use waste materials:
1. Plastic jars and tins can be used as piggy banks and pen holders.
2. Cartons can be used to store many things.
3. Old cloth can be used as shopping bags. Mats could also be made.
4. Waste paper can be recycled or used in artwork. You can also make files with old chart
5. Spoilt toothbrushes can be used for spray- painting.
6. Papier- Mache can be made with waste paper, old newspapers, torn chart papers (which are
not in use) etc.
Other things to know:
• Protect your environment! Find many ways to save materials.
• You can write an article about recycling waste materials.
Do not pollute your environment!
HERE IS A SAYING:
EARTH HAS ENOUGH
TO SATISFY MAN’S
NEEDS BUT NOT HIS
GREEDS – MAHATMA