Polychrome is one of the terms used to describe the use of multiple colors in one entity. It has also been defined as "The practice of decorating architectural elements, sculpture, etc., in a variety of colors." Most often, the term is used in conjunction with certain styles of architecture, pottery or sculpture in multiple colours.
The word polychrome derives from the Greek πολύχρωμος (polychrom os), "colourful", from πολύς (polys), "many, much" + χρῶμα (chroma), "color."
The Franciscan Church of the Holy Trinityin with the most interesting examples ofpolychrome in Opole
Franciscan church in Opole the chapelof St. Anne withpolychrome fromXVI centuryThe coat of armsof Opole PiastDynasty
The history of the Church of the HolyTrinity in Opole. The church is situated in the very centre of the city and makes one complex with the Franciscan monastery. The original Gothic structure of Franciscan church in Opole underwent changes in history, according to changing styles in architecture. The biggest changes occurred in the Baroque period. The chancel is Gothic, the nave inside has baroque influences. Conservation works have greatly contributed to restoring gothic elements of the church.The temple has the form of a three-aisled hall (body) with a
Currently, the insidings of the temple come mostlyfrom the 1950s of the twentieth century and referto the late Renaissance and Baroquepatterns . The author of the interior concept wasfather Dr Edward Frankiewicz (1905-1990), arthistorian and researcher of the history ofFranciscans in Silesia, who administered therestoration works, when theFranciscans returned here after World War II.
On the south wall ofthe body, the right ofthe entrance tothe St. Anne chapel,the can beseen fragments ofpolychrome, exposed during the recentworkconservation. You canrecognize twoangels supportingthe drapes,the central scene isillegible.
Women preparing forthe restoration ofpolychrome paintings
Churchin Bierdzany - anantique wooden church of St.NicholasHedwig.The church wasbuilt in 1711. It wasbuilt in Baroquestyle and in 1961paintings withbiblical themes werediscovered duringthe renovation of the
Brzeg Polychrome Route On the 53 km long route there are 14 churches mostly 600 years old country temples with around 20 medieval polychrome paintings. During the Protestant Reformation initiated by Martin Luther in the 16th century the polychrome paintings were covered with plater to adjust the interior to the ideas of reformation. They were rediscovered recently and the best preserved Gothic examples are the polychrome in Małujowice, Strzelniki, Pogorzela i Krzyżowice.