In Andrew Goodwin’s theory he pointed out characteristics and features thatcan be found in music videos. The six points he noticed were1. There is a relationship between lyrics and visuals. The lyrics arerepresented with images. Synesthesia according to Goodwin is a process bywhich sensory impressions are carried over from one sense to another –seeing the sound in your head.2. There is a relationship between music and visuals. The tone andatmosphere of the visual reflects that of the music. This is in three ways • Illustrate – Music videos can use a set of images to illustrate the meaning of lyrics and genre. This is very common • Amplify – The meanings of the song are added to by the visuals. The visual aspects add an extra layer of meaning, this is the most commonly and best type to use to create a music video. • Disjuncture – This is where the meaning of the song is completely ignored.3. Music videos demonstrate genre characteristics. E.g stage performance intypical genre, dance routine for girl/boy.4. The demands of the record label will include the needs for lots of close upsof the artist and the artist may develop motifs which recur across their work
5. There is frequently reference to notion of looking (screenswithin screens, mirror, stages etc.) and particularly voyeuristictreatment of the female body6. There are often intertextual reference ) to film, TVprogrammes, other music videos etc)To prove this theory I shall analysis amusic video. The chosen song I havechosen is Cobra Starship – You make mefeel… ft sabi.
1. Relationship between lyrics and visuals “You make me feel so” “In that bright white light noise”“Tell me what you want” “Put your hands up”
The main lyrics are the song are constantly repeated throughout the song which is “ you make me feel so, La la la la la” Always the lyrics and the visuals have a clear relationship and suit well. The main female and male singer of the song are constantly repeated singing which keeps that consistent visual of the artists. The artists performance is included in the same setting as the narrative which helps with the visuals and the lyrics to express how they are feeling. This illustrates that the song is about a boy and a girl in a club having fun. Although the lyrics of the chorus doesn’t say this is still amplified to the person’s expressions.It does not contradict against the lyricsas we can clearly see that the lyrics setout the mood well with the visuals.Overall the image displayed reinforcesthe lyrics.
2. There is a relationship between music and visuals. Thetone and atmosphere of the visual reflects that of themusic.The video mostly used the technique of ‘amplify’ in the video. The meaning of thesong is backed up by the visuals. The song has quite a fast rhythm the editing goesfrom long take to short take depending on the part of the song, this synchs with thebeat and helps the audience connect to the song more and illustrates the partyatmosphere of being in a club.The video is fairly hybrid with both equal amounts of narrative and performance.The song also used the technique ‘illustrate’ where they used a set of images whichillustrates the meaning of lyrics and genre. For example These images represent certain moods of being in a nightclub which adds humour and sets the atmosphere in-between shots. It also links the female and the males.
3. Music videos demonstrate genre characteristics. E.gstage performance in typical genre, dance routine forgirl/boy.Cobra Starship fits the genre of dance-pop and follows the typical conventions of thegenres typical music videos. These music genre’s tend to be set in a party atmospherewhere the artist normally tends to be involved in the narrative as well as theperformance.The dance routines are very typical of females in a club, therepresentation of the girl giving off her moves to try and impress andattract the males.
The video also features traditional elements of a nightclub whichis alcohol, which adds to the atmosphere of the song as it buildsup excitement of the characters and their playful behaviour.
4. The demands of the record label will include theneeds for lots of close ups of the artist and the artist maydevelop motifs which recur across their workThroughout the video there are shots of the artist, one of them being a close upshot. A lot of lighting is used upon the face to make their skin look desirable andmakes the artist look attractive upon the audience. This motif recurs a lot in Cobra Starship videos of the main singer wearing sunglasses, this shows the recurring motifs of his style . For example another video he created ‘Good girls go bad’A lot of their video styles are also set in anight atmosphere with a lot of dancingalcohol, girls etc which demonstratesrecurring settings of the artist and thecharacteristic he mostly tends to beinvolved with.
A lot of medium shots are used upon the artist when hes involved in the narrative.As you can see the artist is mostly videoed with the opposite sex which raises his styleof having the women and his dominance.You can also see this recurring style amongst his other videos
5. There is frequently reference to notion of looking(screens within screens, mirror, stages etc.) andparticularly voyeuristic treatment of the female bodyThere is a slight voyeuristic treatment of the female body and is verystereotypical to how females behave in a night clubThe women uses a mirror to seehow she looks the reference thatshe wants to look attractive towardsthe opposite sex. The women takes the male into another room which shows their mind for fun of using their body towards someone else
The way the female is positioned is very voyeuristic of the female body with them giving off a sexy position to give their selfs away with them having no respect. The fact that shes holding on to a pole could refer to a pole dancing.Stereotypical view of the women’sfeelings in a night club, the fact thatshes wearing a short skirt with herlegs raised heightens her feeling of‘Kinky’ and is looking for fun.
6. There are often intertextual reference ) to film, TVprogrammes, other music videos etc) A lot of still images shots are put inside the video which could reference to a magazine/newspaper image article This image also references to the TV show MTV moviesThough this video doesn’t display many intertextual references towards aparticular music video or film, it does however display the commoncharacteristic of the theme in nightclubs which are in a lot of films and TVprograms of the idea of the female and male both looking for love and someexcitement.