1. Converting Community Influence intoaction:Building community, influence andGlobal change: Earth Hour 2013Digital launch at HK Socialali bullockHEAD OF COMMS – WWF HONG KONG
2. … ABOUT ME- I work for WWF Hong Kong as Head of Communications- Previously worked for Cathay Pacific as global digital marketing manager, and worked on digital strategy for companies such as KMPG, Kellogg’s, Samsung and Motorola
3. 1 BEFORE YOU START A COMMUNITY, YOU NEED A CAUSE
4. STRIKE AN EMOTIONAL CHORD“Emotional brands are the brands that are building real relationshipsin the social ecosystem. Make me laugh. Make me cry or make memad. Do something that makes me think different, be different.Inspire me to do more. The more you can connect with youraudience, the better you will be at understanding what emotionalchords will work best with them.”- ali bullock, WWF
5. “IF YOU DON’T KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE, IFYOU DON’T ENGAGE THAT COMMUNITY, YOUARE NEVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO MOVETHEM TO ACTION.” - ali bullock, WWF
6. 2 “NO MATTER WHETHER THE MESSAGE IS ABOUT SAVING A WILD DOLPHIN, TO MARKETING A PAIR OF SNEAKERS. WE HAVE THE SAME 140 CHARACTER LIMIT.” - ali bullock, WWF
7. OVER 500,000 PEOPLE HAVE SIGNED THE PETITIONIT WILL BE PRESENTED TO THE THAI PRIME MINISTER THIS WEEK.
8. 3 SINCE WE WERE BORN WE HAVE BEEN SOLD TO
9. TODAY, LIKES ARE WORTHLESS.
10. TODAY, LIKES ARE WORTHLESS. UNLESS YOUINVEST IN THE COMMUNITY.
11. BUILDING COMMUNITY TAKES TIME…
12. “IN TODAYS WORLD, EVERY ORGANISATION IS A CONTENTCOMPANY (SOME JUST DON’T KNOW IT YET.)” - ali bullock WWF
13. IF BUILDING COMMUNITY TAKES TIME, THEN ENGAGING THAT COMMUNITY TAKES EVEN LONGER.
14. CASE STUDY: #ADOPTING MINI
15. OUR FIRST CONCEPT:LIKE THIS DOG TO HELPFIND IT A HOME!
16. SECOND:“HEY I JUST MET YOU,AND THIS IS CRAZY,BUT HERE’S MY NUMBER (1331)SO ADOPT ME, MAYBE?”#SPCAHK-MINI
17. BE REAL. TAKE THEM ON A JOURNEY AS YOUGROW AND LEARN“If you take your audience along for the ride as you grow, they willcelebrate the wins with you as they were a reason you are there.They helped build you. They will then be emotionally invested in yoursuccess without even knowing it.”- ali bullock, WWF
18. OUR THIRD TRY, “HONG KONG ORIGINALS.”
19. AND SOMETHING GREAT HAPPENED, THE SPCA STARTED TO GET CALLS. MORE CALLS THAN FROM ANY OTHER CAMPAIGN.AND THE LIKES WENT FROM AN AVR OF 20 – 30 TO 600
20. SO THEN WE TOOK THIS CAMAPIGN FROM CELEBRITIES TO REAL PEOPLE.
21. AND THE LIKES CONTINUE TO GROW WITH EACH POSITIVE STORY THAT IS POSTED. “ONE MORE FINDS A HOME.”
22. AS FOR MINI, SHE NEVER MADEIT TO AN ADOPTION DAY…(We adopted her the day after the photo-shoot :)
23. MORE THAN EVER BEFORE BRANDS MUSTBECOME CONTENT CREATORS TO ENGAGE THEIR COMMUNITIES WITH STORIES.
24. SPCA HAS GROWN THEIR FACEBOOK PRESENCEBY OVER 60% DURING THE LAST 12 MONTHS… (And that’s an NGO with no agency, no budget…)
25. SELLING ISN’T ENOUGH ANYMORE
26. KEEPING YOUR MESSAGE SIMPLE IS KEY. ANDTHAT’S NOT EASY IN #140 CHARACTERS…(OK, so it’s slightly easier when it comes to puppies.)
27. IMPACT:NIKE, NO EXCUSES…
28. “A SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN IN ORDER TO BE SUCCESSFUL MUST ALWAYS DELIVER ON THE PROMISE.” - ali bullock, WWF
29. 1 START WITH OUR OBJECTIVES
30. 2 LOOK AT OUR STRENGTHS & OUR WEAKNESSES & OUR OPPORTUNITIES
31. 3 DIGITAL FIRST STRATEGY
32. 4 FINALLY - DELIVER ON THE PROMISE
33. SOME THANKS:FLUID, Sarah, Andrew, Elaine, Daniel and teamSMARTDROP, Peter, King, Winnie & TeamGHC PR, Nicola, James & teamWWF TEAM – EveryoneJay OatwayALL OF YOU LOVELY PEOPLE T #HKSOCIAL
34. EARTH HOUR 2013 SITE
35. HOW DO WE BRING ACTION TO THE COMMUNITY ?
36. ULTIMATELY CONVERTING INFLUENCE INTOACTION IS SIMPLE:WE DON’T MAKJE THE CHANGE. YOU DO.
37. ITS YOUR CITY. IT’S YOUR HOUR.
38. * NOTE: EVERY TITLE WAS LESS THAN 140 CHARACTERS (MEANING IT WOULD FIT NICELY ONTO TWITTER THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME YOU CAN FIND A COPY OF THIS PRESENTATION HERE: www.slideshare.net/alibullock/presentations ali bullock firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com www.alibullock.com