1. Some Writing Problems Prof: Alexis Maizo UNIVERSIDAD PEDAGÓGICA EXPERIMENTAL LIBERTADOR INSTITUTO PEDAGÓGICO DE CARACAS DEPARTAMENTO DE IDIOMAS MODERNOS PROGRAMA DE INGLÉS CÁTEDRA DE IDIOMA LECTURA Y ESCRITURA I May, 2010
2. <ul><li>As we know, writing is more than jotting down words on a piece of paper. Those words should go together to create sentences, and the sentences should go together to create paragraphs and longer strings of ideas. </li></ul><ul><li>(Sichacá, J. S. 2007, p. 13) </li></ul>The Writing Process
3. <ul><li>Sometimes, students have difficulties when writing because they do not know how to organize all the ideas in their minds before writing them down. </li></ul>Of course, there is a series of steps that should be followed before writing a final version to hand in.
4. <ul><li>One of the steps that should be followed is: Write down your ideas on a piece of paper and then organize them there instead of doing it in your head. It is much easier to organize them once they are on paper. </li></ul>If you do not take that step into consideration, the ideas you present in your first draft will not be really logical or organized. Then you will have to restructure the whole text from the very first sentence.
5. <ul><li>All the aforementioned instructions are basically to be followed by beginner writers. Once you have control over the ideas you want to write about, that particular step could be skipped. </li></ul>For now, keep that step in mind, and try to go through it every time you create any piece of writing.
6. <ul><li>Apart form the previous steps, there are two particular aspects students have to bear in mind before handing in any piece of writing. They are: </li></ul><ul><li>The heading of the composition. </li></ul>b. The text itself.
7. <ul><li>At the IPC, we, teachers, ask our students to follow a specific pattern when it comes to the heading of a composition. The heading should contain: </li></ul>a. The whole name of the university. b. The name of the institute. c. Name of the department. d. The program in which you study. e. The name of the “cátedra” the subject you are taking belongs to. f. The name of the subject you are taking. g. The section and the group you belong to.
8. <ul><li>It is important to remember that all the information you write in the heading should be written using your native language; in this case: Spanish. </li></ul>The order of the information should be kept as it was explained before. (from general to specific) Your name or the teacher’s name is NOT part of the heading! Remember:
9. <ul><li>Now, let’s take a look at two headings and try to figure out what is wrong with them. </li></ul>
10. <ul><li>1.- Heading </li></ul><ul><li>Universidad Pedagógica experimental libertador </li></ul><ul><li>Instituto Pedagógico de Caracas </li></ul><ul><li>Departamento de idiomas Modernos </li></ul><ul><li>Cátedra de Lectura y Escritura I </li></ul><ul><li>Prof. Alexis Maizo </li></ul><ul><li>Sección 001 </li></ul><ul><li>What is wrong regarding this heading? </li></ul>
11. <ul><li>Another strange heading: </li></ul><ul><li>Universidad Pedagógica Experimental Libertador </li></ul><ul><li>Instituto Pedagógico de Caracas </li></ul><ul><li>Departamento de Idiomas Modernos </li></ul><ul><li>Curso: Reading and Writing </li></ul><ul><li>Section: 001 </li></ul><ul><li>What is wrong with this heading? </li></ul>
12. <ul><li>Once we have seen the heading, let’s focus on the second aspect: </li></ul><ul><li>the text. </li></ul>Once you have written your first draft, it is important you make some questions to yourself to test the effectiveness of the text you wrote. Ask yourself the following:
13. <ul><li>Did I write a clear topic sentence? </li></ul><ul><li>Are my supporting ideas relevant to the topic I’m talking about? </li></ul><ul><li>Is my concluding sentence linked to my topic sentence? </li></ul>So far, if the answer to each of the previous questions is “no”, you have to go back and fix the problems in the text. If the answer is “yes”, then you can continue with the following questions:
14. <ul><li>Am I using liking words to connect the sentences in the paragraph? Or are they separated just by means of periods? </li></ul><ul><li>Am I using the English grammar appropriately? </li></ul><ul><li>Is my punctuation helping my reader understand what I want to say/mean in the text? </li></ul><ul><li>Are my sentences TOO long? If so, break it into two sections. </li></ul>
15. <ul><li>Once you have made sure that your paragraph is alright by means of the previous questions, then show it to somebody else, and see whether your ideas are going through effectively. </li></ul>If your reader understands what you are trying to communicate in your text, then you are definitely on the right track!
16. <ul><li>Now, let’s take a look at three texts, and let’s try to answer the aforementioned questions to check whether the texts are effective or not. </li></ul>
17. <ul><li>In search of a good life </li></ul><ul><li>We always are looking for have a better life, but what happens when we never get it? I mean, we always try to work to get a good car or a good house thinking in having a better life and being more happy because of that but when we obtain it, we never get satisfied! So, my question is: a good life really will make us happy? There is that better life? I think that with all the stress that we have desiring to get this better life makes us unhappy even if we get it that house or that car. Also, I’ve seen people been more happy in short moments but unique than others trying to get that life. That’s why I come to the conclusion of happiness is not in search of a better life if not enjoy the way to do it. </li></ul>if of happier. B are never a get when trying , being happier I’ve that about for but ing live
18. <ul><li>The big father’s love </li></ul><ul><li>In the all John’s life he never had to concern to another person. He always was a guy who just had to take care by himself becoming in the most selfish person that I never knew. But believe or not we are married now and have a beautiful child, he’s name is Thomas and is intership in the children’s hospital near of our house because he has leukemia and needs a bone marrow transplant. He’s just 7 years old! But could not believe it when John took with the doctor for give us his own bone marrow to our son. How a selfish person can gives part of his body to someone else? Now I can see the power that the love of a father can do, and even all de differences that have I have to admit that he’s the best father that my son could has. </li></ul>did not people about in his whole life of by being ever it , we . His he’s . I said to he would donate How come donate , the in spite of , ever have. a
19. <ul><li>A sad day </li></ul><ul><li>February 15th 2009, was a sad day, because I didn’t approve the English subject, that day I could realize the important that is English to me. Besides, that sad day, I was thinking about the real cause of my failure, and I concluded that if I would have studied harder, I hadn’t disapproved the English subject. I could realize, that I didn’t work enough, in order to approve de English subject, and I deserved the result of the mark, besides the consequence was terrible, since I had to postpone the course. In addition to that, it’s the first time that I fail in the English subject. I call it, a sad day; because I felt very sad and disappointed about myself, I have always studied English a lot since I was a child however at that time, I was crossing a bad moment in my life, and the result was sad day in my life. </li></ul>, . T noticed how thought had wouldn’t have failed s pass the I got . B , d were an in . but, going through hard a