Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Alexandre Rocha - Caminhada Histórica do Natal   (roteiro 2011)
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×

Saving this for later?

Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime - even offline.

Text the download link to your phone

Standard text messaging rates apply

Alexandre Rocha - Caminhada Histórica do Natal (roteiro 2011)

2,161
views

Published on

Este é o Roteiro da VI Caminhada Histórica de Natal, um passeio pelo centro histórico da cidade que perpassa os diversos períodos da História do Brasil. …

Este é o Roteiro da VI Caminhada Histórica de Natal, um passeio pelo centro histórico da cidade que perpassa os diversos períodos da História do Brasil.
Nele os principais espaços de memória são apresentados com pequenos textos e citações dos principais autores no assunto.
O material também é apresentado em língua inglesa para o melhor entendimento dos turistas presentes no evento.

Published in: Education

0 Comments
3 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
2,161
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
3
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Conhecer é viver!Quem não passa pelo centro da cidade? Mas quem passeia na cidade?Essa é uma diferença que você vai sentir nesta caminhada. Além de olhar a cidade como um patrimônio você vai perceber que em cadaprédio, rua, fachada existem memórias importantíssimas que não devemos esquecer.Conhecer não é só saber. Conhecer é viver!Acreditamos que não se trata de apenas uma caminhada, mas da trajetória histórica da capital potiguar, que revela-se desde os tempos daColônia até as edificações mais cosmopolitas, para isto selecionamos os mais importantes espaços de memória do corredor histórico ecultural do Natal, o que infelizmente nos fez optar dentre vários que habitam estes bairros.Esse percurso levará até você, a oportunidade de receber Natal de forma diferente, pois alias uma caminhada com conteúdo histórico alémde alimentar o corpo e a alma permite ainda, conhecer e entender melhor o tempo e espaço que vivemos.To know is to live!Who doesn’t pass through downtown? But who really strolls downtown?This is one big difference you are going to experience during our walk. Besides seeing the city as a cultural patrimony you will notice that each building,street and facade holds very important memories that we should not forget.To know isn’t only knowledge. To know is to live!We believe it is not only a walk, but the historical pathway of the potiguar capital, which reveals itself from the colonial times to the more cosmopolitanbuildings, from such we selected some of the most important memorial spaces in Natal’s cultural and historical corridor, which unfortunately made uschoose between the ones living in this neighbourhood.This journey will give you the opportunity to see Natal in a different way, combining a walk wich historical content and feeding the body and soul to knowand better understand the space and time we live in today.
  • 2. 01. Praça André de Albuquerque (Marco Zero - 1888)Eis o nosso Marco Zero, sabe o que isto significa?Esta praça é o exato local onde a cidade começou, e, em verdade a cidade cresceu em torno desta praça.Sabemos que Natal foi fundada em 25 de dezembro de 1599, data de nascimento da praça e dos natalenses.Segundo Câmara Cascudo, a cidade possuía em 1614, doze casas, e em 1631, sessenta.Somente durante o século XVIII, que se iniciou um processo de desenvolvimento mais expressivo, tempo em que a cidade chega até a Ribeiracom suas habitações.Suas primeiras construções públicas foram a Igreja Matriz, a Casa de Câmara e Cadeia.Estrutura esta que se manteve por séculos, veja:01. André de Albuquerque Square (Starting Point - 1888)This is our Ground Zero, you know what this means?This square is the exact spot where the city began, and indeed the city grew up around this square.We know that Natal was founded on December 25, 1599, date of birth of the square and natalenses.According Câmara Cascudo, the city had in 1614, twelve houses, and in 1631, sixty.Only in the eighteenth century, which began a process of developing more expressive time when the city reaches the Ribeira with their dwellings.His first public buildings were the parish church, the town council and the Jail.This structure has remained for centuries, see: “Não é difícil de imaginar o que seria o Natal do começo do século XVIII, com a sua igreja, a cadeia, a forca, o pelourinho, a casa da câmara e as moradas esparsas pelo areal dos bairros, entaipadas umas, outras, e eram o maior número, tecidas de ramos e cobertas com as folhas das diferentes palmeiras indígenas; todas afogadas no mata-pasto embatido e defendidas pelos viçosos urtigões.” (Adaptado de SOUZA apud MIRANDA, 1999:55) “It is not difficult to imagine what Natal would have been like at the beginning of the 18th century, with its church, the prison, the gallows, the pillory, the chamber’s house and sparse hoseholds in sandy neighbourhoods, ”entaipadas” ones, others, and they were large in number, made with branches and covered with different indigenous palm tree leaves; all drowned by the embattled grass and defended by the luxurious stinging nettles.” (Adapted from SOUZA, MIRANDA 1999/1955)
  • 3. 02. Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora da Apresentação (1599)Originalmente foi uma capela primitiva, sem data precisa de fundação, mas suaconstrução se deu com a fundação da cidade. Foi reformada em 1619 e recuperadadepois dos estragos feitos pelas invasões holandesas em 1694.Esta igreja é dedicada à padroeira da capital potiguar, Nossa Senhora daApresentação, e é a primeira do Rio Grande do Norte.Somente em 1862 sua atual edificação foi completada com a construção da torresimeira. Depois de várias reformas o espaço se encontra em restauração desde1994, a fim de lhe devolver a planta original.02. Main Church of “Nossa Senhora da Apresentação” (1599)It was originally a primitive chapel, no precise date of foundation, but its construction waswith the founding of the city. It was reformed in 1619 and restored after the ravages madeby the Dutch invasion in 1694.This church is dedicated to the patron saint of Natal, “Nossa Senhora da Apresentação” (Our Lady of Presentation), and is the first of Rio Grande do Norte.Only in 1862 its current building was completed with the construction of the tower simeira. After several reforms the space is in restoration since 1994 inorder to restore your original plan. 03. Instituto Histórico e Geográfico (Desde 1938) O prédio é datado de 1906, O Instituto Histórico e Geográfico foi fundado em 1902, e veio a este edifício (1906) somente em 1938. Nele se encontra o maior acervo de documentos e fontes de pesquisas históricas do Rio Grande do Norte. Já abrigou junto ao IHGB, o Supremo Tribunal de Justiça (1908-1926), o mesmo aconteceu entre 1926 e 1938, e o Instituto se mudou para o nº. 577 na mesma Rua da Conceição. 03. History and Geographic Institute (From 1938) The building is dated 1906, The Historical and Geographical Institute was founded in 1902, and came to this building (1906) only in 1938. It houses the largest collection of research documents and historical sources of the Rio Grande do Norte. IHGB once housed next to the Supreme Court (1908-1926), the same happened between 1926 and 1938, the Institute moved to no. 577 in the same Rua da Conceição.
  • 4. 04. Memorial Câmara Cascudo (Desde 1987)Construído em 1875 para abrigar a Tesouraria da Fazenda. É possível percebercomo a história é marcada, pois inicialmente eram apenas cinco vãos deesquadraria, com apenas um frontão no eixo central da fachada, hoje temos doisfrontões e sete esquadrarias. Que preserva seu estilo neoclássico.O prédio já sediou a Delegacia Fiscal (1952-1955), o Quartel General da 7ª R. M.do Exército (1955-1982), e hoje abriga um importante acervo cultural do Estado.04. Câmara Cascudo Memorial (From 1987)Built in 1875 to house the Treasury Finance. You can see how the story is marked, becauseinitially there were only five of square openings, with only a pediment on the central axis ofthe front, we now have two gables and seven frames. That preserves its neoclassical style.The building has hosted the Fiscal Commission (1952-1955), the Headquarters of the 7th R.M. Army (1955-1982), and today houses an important cultural heritage of the state. 05. Praça Pe. João Maria (1909) Ela é o primeiro espaço das antigas procissões religiosas. Desde 1909 leva o atual nome, e, em 1921 foi inaugurado um busto em bronze do Pe. João Maria, seridoense nascido a 23 de junho de 1848, onde hoje é Jardim de Piranhas. Estudou em Olinda/PE e Fortaleza/CE. Dedicou sua vida ao sacerdócio e seguindo seu voto de pobreza abriu mão do seu conforto e alimentação a favor dos pobres. 05. Pe. João Maria Square (1909) She is the first space of the old religious processions. Since it takes its present name in 1909, and in 1921 opened a bronze bust of Father John Mary Seridó born June 23, 1848, in what is now Garden Piranhas. He studied in Olinda/PE and Fortaleza/CE. He dedicated his life to the priesthood and following his vow of poverty gave up their comfort and food for the poor.
  • 5. 06. Casa Colonial (Sede do Instituto do Patrimônio Histórico eArtístico Nacional - IPHAN/RN)Localizada na Rua da Conceição (1808), a primeira rua de Natal. Esta é umagrande amostra das moradias do período colonial, com chão de terra batido e seusarcos de porta evidentes na fachada.Construída inicialmente em pedra-e-cal, a casa data do século XVIII. Nelaidentificou-se o funcionamento do Armazém Real da Capitania do Rio Grande, apartir de 1731. Em 1987, o imóvel foi adquirido e reformado pela FundaçãoNacional Pró-Memória. No edifício funciona hoje a sede do IPHAN/RN.06. Colonial House (Main buildings of the Institute of Historical and Artistic Heritage -IPHAN/RN)Located on Rua da Conceição (1808), the first street of Natal. This is a large sample of homesfrom the colonial period, with a floor of beaten earth, and their bows on the front door clear.It was first built in stone-and-lime, the house dates from the eighteenth century. It identified the operation of the Royal Warehouse Captaincy of Rio Grande,from 1731. In 1987, the property was acquired and renovated by the National Pro-Memory. In the building works today the seat of IPHAN / RN.07. Museu Café Filho ou SobradinhoNo período colonial, as moradas assobradas pertenciam às famílias mais abastadas. Essa apresentava o primeiro andar de chão de terra batida,destinado a lojas, depósitos, cocheiras escravos, e se fosse o caso, no primeiro andar a residência da família. Esse exemplar foi inicialmenteconstruído para residência do senhor Agostinho Leitão de Almeida, em 1825.No imóvel hoje funciona o Museu Café Filho, que abriga diversos pertences pessoais, o que nos permite compreender e visitar hábitos ecostumes das décadas de 1940 e 1950. Café Filho foi o primeiro potiguar a se tornar presidente da República, após o suicídio de GetúlioVargas, em 1954. Por ocupar uma esquina, o edifício teve duas fachadas tratadas, ambas buscaram o modo tradicional de construção. Porém,o padrão de construção do telhado levou a fachada esquerda a uma particularidade, um declive na parte posterior, que lembra um véunupcial, o que inspirou seu apelido: “A Noiva”.07. Café Filho or Sobradinho MuseumIn colonial times, addresses assobradas belonged to wealthy families. This presented the first floor of a dirt floor, to retail stores, warehouses, stables slaves,and if so, on the first floor in the family home. This copy was originally built as the residence of Mr. Agostinho Leitao de Almeida in 1825.In the house now operates the Museum Café Filho, which houses many personal belongings, which allows us to understand and visiting habits and customsof the 1940s and 1950s. Café Filho was the first RN to become president, after the suicide of Getulio Vargas in 1954. To occupy a corner, the building has twofacades treated, both sought the traditional way of construction. However, the standard construction of the roof led to a unique front left, a sloping back,which resembles a bridal veil, which inspired his nickname "The Bride".
  • 6. 08. Palácio Potengi ou Palácio da CulturaConstruído entre 1866-1873 neste já funcionou como (Antigo) Palácio do Governo, que, após a transferência da sede do executivo para a Ruado Comércio, em 1902, a edificação ganhou o nome atual.Mostra-se o mais expressivo patrimônio histórico de estilo neoclássico, transmitindo a imponência e a rigidez do governo imperial brasileiro.Diz o arquiteto Lucio Costa que “trata-se de edifício sóbrio e bem composto nos moldes da boa tradição acadêmica.” (PESSOA, 2001).Ao ser construída a edificação tomou lugar na Fazenda Pública em 1865.Até 1997, o prédio abrigava a sede do Governo do Estado, quando foi transformada em espaço cultural, abrigando a Pinacoteca do Estado, ehoje a Governadoria do RN.08. Potengi Palace or Cultural PalaceBuilt between 1866-1873 this has worked as (Old) Government Palace, which, after transferring the seat of the executive to Rua do Comércio in 1902, thebuilding got its current name.It shows the most significant historic site in the neoclassical style, conveying the grandeur and strength of the Brazilian imperial government.Says the architect Lucio Costa, "it is well composed and sober building along the lines of good academic tradition." (PESSOA, 2001).When built the building took place in the Treasury in 1865.Until 1997, the building housed the headquarters of the State Government, when it was transformed into a cultural space housing of the State Pinacoteca,and today the Governorship of the newborn.
  • 7. 09. Praça Sete de Setembro ............. “É somente a partir da segunda metade do século XIX que a cidade de Natalganha importância, desembocando num processo de expansão efetivo e contínuo apartir do início do XX. ............. Entre as décadas de 1880 e 1910, o Rio Grande do Norte e, especialmente,Natal passaram a contar com telégrafo, rodovias, abastecimento de água, iluminação(à gás de acetileno, depois à eletricidade, em 1911), linhas de bondes (à traçãoanimal, depois, à eletricidade), telefones.” (MELO; SILVA FILHO, p. 50)09. Sete de Setembro Square ..............."It is only since the second half of the nineteenth century that the city of Natal becomesimportant, leading a process of expanding effective and continuous from the early twentiethcentury. ...............Between the 1880s and 1910, Rio Grande do Norte and especially Christmas come torely on the telegraph, roads, water supply, lighting (the acetylene gas, then to electricity in1911), trolley lines (the animal traction, then to electricity) phones. " (MELO, SILVA FILHO, p. 50)Como mostra a citação acima, todo o espaço ao redor desta praça ensina sobre o seu período. Construída em comemoração à independênciado Brasil, suas obras aconteceram no ensejo da modernização da cidade no início do século XX.Neste período, se pretendia uma reforma urbana e higiênica, e para isto foi destruído um quarteirão da Rua da Conceição, onde havia casase comércios muito concentrados. Antes era um lugar sujo e insalubre, que depois de reformado tomou o formato atual.Existem registros, de que neste mesmo espaço funcionou o primeiro mercado público da cidade, sendo palco de importantes festejos religiosose orações, onde velas eram acesas e promessas eram pagas.As shown in the above quote, the whole space around the square teaches about your period. Built to commemorate the independence of Brazil, his works tookplace in occasion of the modernization of the city in the early twentieth century.During this period, was intended to urban reform and hygienic, and it was destroyed a block from the Rua da Conceição, where homes and businesses werevery concentrated. Before it was a dirty and unhealthy, who retired after he took the current format.There are records of this same space that ran the citys first public market, being the scene of important religious festivals and prayer, where candles were litand promises were paid.
  • 8. 10. Palácio Felipe Camarão - Sede do Governo Municipal (1922)Construído em sete de setembro de 1922, em comemoração ao centenário daindependência, o edifício possui uma arquitetura eclética, como o frontãocurvilíneo do barroco, colunas clássicas e pináculos góticos.Ao seu lado corre a Avenida Câmara Cascudo (1998), onde havia o Largo daJunqueira. Por trás da Prefeitura se encontra a Igreja Presbiteriana de Natal, aprimeira evangélica do RN, inaugurada a três de setembro de 1898.10. Felipe Camarão Palace - Municipal Government Offices (1922)Built on September 7, 1922, commemorating the centennial of independence, the buildinghas an eclectic architecture, such as the curved pediment of the baroque, classical columnsand Gothic pinnacles.Beside it flows Camara Cascudo Avenue (1998), where there was the Largo da Junqueira.Behind the Hall is the Presbyterian Church of Natal, the first evangelical RN, inauguratedSept. 3, 1898. 11. Casa do Estudante Esta é uma casa que representa o ecletismo arquitetônico mais modesto, bem como o logradouro nº. 516, do Largo da Junqueira Aires. Geralmente estas casas possuíam um porão elevado, o que permitia uma maior intimidade dos residentes contra a curiosidade dos passantes. 11. Student’s House This is a house that is more modest architectural eclecticism, as well as the street no. 516, Largo da Junqueira Aires. Usually these houses had a basement high, which allowed greater intimacy of the residents against the curiosity of passersby.
  • 9. 12. Prédio do Serviço Social do Comércio (SESC)Este enorme edifício em estilo moderno possui, como traços marcantes, osbrises-soleis, os cobogós e os panos de vidro.Sua construção data meados dos anos 70 e comporta hoje a importante estruturado SESC.É conhecida a realização da programação do Terraço do Relógio onde seapresentam artistas potiguares.12. SESC BuildingThis huge building has a modern style, outstanding features as the brise-soleis the cobogósand glass cloths.Its construction dates from the mid 70s and now holds the important structure of the SESC.We know the day of programming Clock Terrace where the likes of Rio Grande do Norte. 13. Prédio da Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil (1906) Projeto do arquiteto Herculano Ramos, o prédio inaugurado em 1906 funcionou como Congresso Legislativo Estadual, como Tribunal de Justiça e desde 1978 se encontra a Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil, OAB. Seu estilo eclético com referências ao art nouveau, por exemplo, pode ser reparado nas grades de ferro fundido e nas suas formas inspiradas na natureza. 13. OAB Building Project architect Ramos Herculaneum, the building opened in 1906 served as State Legislative Congress, as the Court since 1978 and is the Order of Lawyers of Brazil, OAB. His eclectic style with references to art nouveau, for example, can be repaired in cast iron grids and their shapes inspired by nature.
  • 10. 14. Praça das MãesNela existia uma cruz que delimitava o lado norte da primitiva cidade do Natal.Construção do século XX, sempre foi uma praçinha arborizada, ajardinada e combanquinhos. Em sete de setembro de 1911 recebeu um busto de Pedro Velho deAlbuquerque Maranhão, que hoje se encontra na Praça Cívica da cidade.Em oito de maio de 1960, no dia das Mães, se ergueu uma homenagem àquelas quenos dão os natalenses. Um lindo painel de azulejo com ferro fundido do artistaDorian Gray, que já fora destruído pelos maus tratos e intempéries do tempo, hojehá um novo painel em azulejo do mesmo artista.14. Square of the MothersThere existed a cross flanking the north side of the primitive city of Natal. Construction ofthe twentieth century, has always been a square wooded garden and benches. OnSeptember 7, 1911 received a bust of Pedro Velho de Albuquerque, which is now located in the Civic Square of the city.On May 8, 1960, on Mothers Day, they erected a tribute to those who give us the Natal. A beautiful tile panel with cast-iron artist Dorian Gray, who hadalready been destroyed by abuse and of the weather, today there is a new tile panel from the same artist. 15. Capitania das Artes (1972) Construído no final do século XIX para abrigar a Capitania dos Portos de Natal, foi desativado em 1972 permanecendo em ruína. Foi tombado e revitalizado em 1988, mantendo apenas o frontão. Hoje abriga alguns dos mais importantes órgãos de cultura do Estado, a Capitania das Artes. 15. Captaincy of the Arts (1972) Built in the late nineteenth century to house the Port of Natal, was deactivated in 1972 remains in ruins. Was listed in 1988 and revitalized, keeping only the pediment. Today it houses some of the most important organs of culture of the State, the Captaincy of the Arts.
  • 11. 16. Solar João Galvão (1908)Construído em 1908 e depois foi adquirido pelo Cel. Aureliano Clementino,próspero comerciante e dono da loja “Paris em Natal”, o que evidencia a influênciaestrangeira na cidade.Ali foi sua morada enquanto construía o Solar Bela Vista para residir.Seus fortes traços neoclássicos diferem do traçado do monumento à frente.16. João Galvão Solar (1908)Built in 1908 and then was purchased by Colonel Aureliano Clementino, prosperousmerchant and store owner "Paris in Natal", which shows foreign influence in the city.There was his home while building the Solar Bela Vista to reside.His strong traits differ from the neoclassical design of the monument in front.17. Solar Bela Vista (1908)Construída na primeira década do século XX, esta edificação imponente possui belos jardins e recebeu o trabalho dos melhoresmestres-de-obras da região, fazendo uso dos melhores materiais de construção existentes na época, a maioria importado da Europa.O prédio já abrigou o Tribunal de Justiça, o Hotel Bela Vista e desde 1968 é propriedade do Serviço Social da Indústria, SESI.Ao seu lado permanece, mesmo com pequenas reformas atuais, a única rua em pedras e óleo de baleias de Natal. 17. Solar Bela Vista (1908) Built in the first decade of the twentieth century, this imposing building has beautiful gardens and received the best work of the master-works of the region, making use of better construction materials existing at the time, mostly imported from Europe. The building once housed the Court, Hotel Bela Vista since 1968 and is owned by the Social Service of Industry, SESI. By his side stands, even with small current reforms, the only street in rocks and whale oil of Natal. “Referências ao neogótico são verificadas no Solar Bela Vista, mas a edificação não faz referência apenas ao estilo gótico, o frontão, por exemplo, demonstra a preferência por formas e proporções clássicas.” (MELO; SILVA FILHO, p. 50) “References are checked on the neo-Gothic Solar Bela Vista, but the building does not refer only to the Gothic style, the gable, for example, shows a preference for shapes and classic proportions.” (MELO; SILVA FILHO, p. 50)
  • 12. 18. Casa de Câmara Cascudo (1898-1986)Uma das personalidades históricas mais (re)conhecidas do Brasil, Câmara Cascudose consagrou como folclorista e grande escritor nacional, seus livros são referênciapara trabalhos no mundo todo e suas obras citadas nos mais variados trabalhosacadêmicos, Cascudo, como carinhosamente é chamado, é uma referênciamundial.A casa foi construída pelo industrial Afonso Saraiva de Albuquerque Maranhão, e,posteriormente, vendida a Dr. José de Teotônio Freire, que ali morou até 1944.Tempos depois veio a morar seu genro, Câmara Cascudo, que ali residiu porquarenta anos. A residência pertence à família Cascudo até hoje.18. Câmara Cascudo’s House (1898-1986)One of Brazils most acclaimed historical personalities, Cascudo established itself as afolklorist and great national writer, his books are reference works worldwide and his workscited in various scholarly works, Krab, as it is affectionately called, is a world reference. The house was built by industrialist Saraiva Afonso de Albuquerque,and later sold to Dr. José de Teotônio Freire, who lived there until 1944. Later his son in law came to live, Cascudo who resided there for forty years. Theresidence belongs to the family Krab today. 19. Antigo jornal A Republica Propriedade de João Carlos Wanderley, este jornal iniciou seu funcionamento em primeiro de julho de 1889. Inicialmente era impresso nas oficinas do Correio de Natal, na Ribeira. Posteriormente, foi vendido a Pedro Velho de Albuquerque Maranhão. Hoje funciona o Departamento de Imprensa do RN. 19. A Republica Newspaper Property of João Carlos Wanderley, this newspaper began its operation on July 1, 1889. Initially it was printed in the workshops of Natal mail, in Ribeira. It was later sold to Pedro Velho de Albuquerque Maranhão. Today it is the Press Department of the RN.
  • 13. 20. Colégio Salesiano São José - antiga moradia de Juvino BarretoEra um sítio enorme com pomar, cocheiras e a famosa cacimba de São Tomé.A construção da residência data o início do século XX, e além dela, Juvino Barretoconstruiu a primeira fábrica de fiação de tecidos de Natal (1888, onde hojefunciona a Caixa Econômica Federal).Seu espírito empreendedor ficou conhecido pela aquisição dos equipamentos maismodernos da sua época.Suas idéias também estavam a frente do seu tempo, se destacou como defensor daabolição da escravidão e ficou conhecido como “pai dos pobres”.Ainda em vida, o prédio foi doado à congregação Salesiana e até hoje abriga oColégio São José, santo o qual Juvino Barreto era devoto. 20. Salesiano São José College - former home of Juvino Barreto It was a huge site with orchard, stables and the famous water hole of São Tomé. The construction of the residence dating from the early twentieth century and beyond, Juvino Barreto built the first spinning mill fabric of Natal (1888, today houses the Caixa Econômica Federal). His entrepreneurial spirit became known for acquiring the most modern equipment of the time. His ideas were well ahead of its time, stood out as an advocate of the abolition of slavery and became known as the "father of the poor." During his lifetime, the building was donated to the Salesian congregation and today houses the College of São José, which the saint was a devotee Juvino Barreto.
  • 14. 21. Praça Augusto Severo (1902)Até o final do século XIX esta era uma região pantanosa, alagada por um braço do Rio Potengi, ali havia uma ponte, construída em 1732 queatravessava para a Ribeira. Até cinco de outubro de 1703, foi chamada de Praça da República e só a quatorze de maio de 1902 recebeu seuatual nome.É considerada um dos mais belos recantos da Ribeira, concentrando uma grande vida em seu entorno, como o Colégio Salesiano São José eo Museu de Cultura Popular. Seu projeto de embelezamento, chefiado por Herculano Ramos foi agraciado com doações de mudas de árvoresda população.A homenagem feita a Augusto Severo é expressa através de um busto de 1905. Descendente da família Albuquerque Maranhão, uma das maisimportantes do Estado, era irmão de Amaro Barreto e Pedro Velho. Ficou conhecido pelo seu espírito visionário e suas empreitadas na aviação.Chegou a desenvolver um Zepelim chamado “PAX”, com o qual veio a falecer em acidente na capital francesa em 1902.Ao seu redor estão prédios importantes historicamente como a antiga Escola Doméstica de Natal (atual prédio da Secretaria de Saúde), aantiga Escola de Direito e o Grupo Escolar Augusto Severo. Esse último que constitui mais um projeto de Herculano Ramos, foi inauguradoem 1908. Este foi o primeiro grupo escolar do RN e se tornou referência para este modelo educacional. Na primeira esquina da Av. Duque deCaxias se encontra ainda de pé o antigo prédio da Junta Comercial.21. Augusto Severo Square (1902)By the end of the nineteenth century this was a marshy, flooded by an arm of the River Potengi, there was a bridge, built in 1732 that crossed to Ribeira. Upto five October 1703, was called Republic Square and only 14 May 1902 received its current name.It is considered one of the most beautiful corners of Ribeira, concentrating a great life in their surroundings, as the Salesiano São José College and the Museum of Popular Culture. Her beautification project, headed by Ramos Herculaneum was awarded grants of tree seedlings of the population. The homage to Augusto Severo is expressed by a bust of 1905. Descendant of the family Albuquerque, one of the most important state, was the brother of Amaro Barreto and Pedro Velho. He was known for his visionary spirit and his ventures into aviation. Zeppelin has developed a so-called "PAX", with which he died in an accident in the French capital in 1902. Around it are historically important buildings like the old Escola Doméstica of Natal (now the Department of Health building), the former Law School and School Group Augusto Severo. The latter is a further project of Herculano Ramos, opened in 1908. This was the first group of RN school and became a reference for this educational model. On the first corner of Avenida Duque de Caxias is still standing the old Board of Trade building.
  • 15. 22. Teatro Alberto Maranhão (1957)Construído a partir de 1898 o “Theatro” é um símbolo essencialmente modernopara a cidade. Inaugurado em 1904, agregava em si toda a magnitude buscada pelaintelectualidade da época, além de representar um local fundamentalmentemoderno, inspirado nos modelos da Belle Époque européia, com suasornamentações, suas grades, seus vasos rebuscados, enfim, com elementosarquitetônicos que tornavam belo, grandioso e, ao mesmo tempo, mantinha seustraços clássicos. Foi inaugurado com o nome de Carlos Gomes, foi profundamentereformado pelo mesmo Herculano Ramos em 1910-2, durante o governo deAlberto Maranhão. A partir de então o espaço passou a ser utilizado para eventosdiversos como formaturas, bailes e até mesmo o carnaval, também como sede daCâmara Municipal e a Biblioteca Pública.22. Alberto Maranhão Theatre (1957)Built from 1898 the “Theatre" is an essentially modern symbol for the city. Opened in 1904, aggregated in full the magnitude sought by the intellectuals ofthe time, besides being a place fundamentally modern, inspired by European models of the Belle Epoque, with its ornamentation, its bars, its convolutedvessels, finally, with architectural elements that made beautiful, great and at the same time, maintained its classic features. It was inaugurated with the nameof Carlos Gomes, was radically changed by the same Herculano Ramos in 1910-2, during the government of Alberto Maranhão. Since then the space has beenused for various events such as graduations, dances and even the carnival, as well as City Hall and Public Library. 23. Antigo Grande Hotel (1939) Onde está o Hotel existia um casarão onde já residiu o Capitão José da Penha e, posteriormente, e em sua infância, o escritor natalense Luís da Câmara Cascudo. Durante a II Guerra Mundial este processo tomou proporções enormes este espaço de memória foi palco dos grandes acontecimentos político-sociais da cidade, banquetes, homenagens, recepções etc, sempre superlotado o hotel começou a seu declínio ao final dos conflitos na Europa. 23. Old Grand Hotel (1939) Where is Hotel there was a big house where we lived Captain Jose da Penha, and later, and in its infancy, the writer Luís da Câmara Cascudo. During World War II, this process took on enormous proportions this memory space has been the scene of the great political and social events of the city, banquets, ceremonies, receptions, etc., always crowded the hotel began its decline at the end of conflicts in Europe.
  • 16. 24. Praça José da Penha (1930)Existia desde o ultimo quartel do século XVIII, nela foi construída a Igreja do BomJesus das Dores (1776), que hoje está completamente descaracterizada. Suafachada barroca encontra-se grosseiramente coberta por um revestimento deazulejos.Nesta região, até o inicio do século XX, havia um grande descampado conhecidocomo Praça do Bom Jesus (1902). Em 1919, foi construída ali uma praçinha querecebeu o nome de Leão XIII, em homenagem ao papa daquele período. Elaostentava belos canteiros floridos e um singelo coreto de alvenaria. Por algumtempo este foi “o ponto chique da cidade, onde as moças e os rapazes circulavampelos passeios laterais.” (NESI, p. 112)A homenagem ao Capitão José da Penha aconteceu devido ao seu espírito dejustiça e defesa aos jovens, trabalhadores e pequenos negociantes. Ficou conhecidopor morrer no dia 22 de fevereiro de 1914, após derrotar trezentos jagunços emJuazeiro/CE com um contingente e armas em número reduzido. “Natal homenageou aquele notável potiguar, dando seu nome a um importante logradouro público da cidade, em plena efervescência da Revolução de 30.” (NESI, p. 113)24. José da Penha Square (1930)Existed since the last quarter of the eighteenth century, it was built the Church of Bom Jesusdas Dores (1776), which today is completely uncharacteristic. Its Baroque façade is roughlycovered by a coating of tiles.In this region until the early twentieth century, there was a large open field known as PraçaBom Jesus (1902). In 1919, there was built a square named Leão XIII, in honor of the Popeof that time. She wore beautiful flowerbeds and a gazebo simple masonry. For some timethis was "the citys chic spot where the girls and boys circled the sidewalks." (NESI, p. 112)A tribute to Captain Jose da Penha was due to his spirit of justice and protection for youngpeople, workers and small businesses. It has been known to die on February 22, 1914, afterdefeating three hundred gunmen in Juazeiro/CE quotas and weapons in small numbers. "Natal honored this remarkable RN, giving its name to an important public area of the city in full swing of the Revolution of 30." (NESI, p. 113)
  • 17. 25. Rua Chile - antiga Rua do ComércioO primeiro registro de concessão nesta região data de 1731, e, no decorrer doséculo XVIII este foi um espaço muito solicitado, pois margeava o Rio Potengi, e erao caminho natural para o Forte dos Reis Magos. Nessa época era denominada deRua da Praia (1769).“No inicio do século XIX, já existiam alguns sobrados de pedra-e-cal. Em 27 denovembro de 1816, Joaquim José da silva alegava ser possuidor de uma morada decasas de pedra-e-cal, sitas na mesma Ribeira, na Rua da Praia, da parte poente... edela para o sul terá 30 palmos de terras devoluta... pretende o suplicante levantar casacom andar para cima...para desembarque de gêneros que hajam de vir a esse ponto.” (NESI, p. 92)Quando houve a instalação a Alfândega após 1863, a rua passa a ter esse nome,que mudou seu toponômio mais uma vez para Rua do Comércio. Recebeu o nomede Rua Tarquínio de Souza, importante personalidade potiguar da época.Hoje se chama Rua Chile e é palco dos mais variados eventos culturais. Nela, alémdas pessoas e mercadorias, transitava o bonde até 1919, inicialmente puxado porburros e posteriormente movido a energia elétrica.25. Chile Street - Old Rua do ComércioThe first record of granting this region dates from 1731, and during the eighteenth centurythis was a much requested because the river bordered Potengi, and was the natural path tothe Reis Magos. At that time it was called Beach Street (1769)."In the early nineteenth century, there were few houses of stone-and-lime. On November 27,1816, Joaquim José da Silva claimed to be the possessor of a villa of stone-and-lime, perched onthe same Ribeira, Beach Street, from west ... to the south and it will have 30 feet of vacant land... the petitioner intends to raise up walking home with ... for landing of genres that have cometo this point. " (NESI, p. 92)When there was a Customs facility after 1863, the street is replaced by that name, whichchanged its toponômio again to Main Street. Street was named Tarquin de Souza, RNimportant personality of the time.Today is called Rua Chile and hosts a variety of cultural events. In it, besides people andgoods transiting the tram until 1919, initially pulled by donkeys and later electricallypowered.
  • 18. Realização:TRADUÇÃO DE TEXTOS DESIGN & PROGRAMAÇÃO VISUAL CONSULTORIA HISTÓRICA CNA Cursos e Idiomas Gunner Henrique Carneiro Alexandre Rocha
  • 19. Realização: Patrocínio:Lei de Incentivo à CulturaDjalma Maranhão D E S I G N D I G I TA L