Alexandra M. Pickett
Associate Director . SUNY Learning Network . State University Plaza . Albany, NY 12246 . T: 1.518.443.5622 F: 1.518.443.5167
email@example.com . http://sln.suny.edu
I am really looking forward to meeting you at the NMC summer 2009 pre conference workshop that you
have signed up for!
To make the most of our half day together I would like you to do a little preparation in anticipation of our
workshop. Please download or sign up for the cool tools listed below. The signup and downloads are
easy and self explanatory, all are free, and most require a confirmation email to set up your account. By
setting this up before you arrive, and prior to our workshop, it will help us all make the best use of our
Please also be sure to create and bring a list of your new usernames and passwords for each tool to refer
to during the workshop!
Here is a partial list of tools you can setup before our workshop. Sign up/download the apps listed
1. Microblog - http://www.twitter.com/
2. Video sharing - http://www.youtube.com/
3. Social bookmarking - http://www.diigo.com/
4. Blog - http://edublogs.org – education blogs.
5. Voicethread - http://voicethread.com
6. Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ - record and edit sound.
7. Jing - http://www.jingproject.com/ - screen capture.
8. Seesmic - http://seesmic.com/ - online video blog/video threaded asynchronous discussion.
9. Flickr groups - http://www.flickr.com/groups/ - group foto sharing.
10. Virtual world - https://join.secondlife.com/
11. Skype - http://about.skype.com/
If you have any problems with any of these tools, don’t worry or stress it. I can help you at the workshop
and you also may not be interested in all the tools. Just ignore any that don’t appeal to you. If you have
anything in particular you would like me to be sure to cover that may not be on this list, please let me
know. You might want to skype me: alexandrapickett : ) !
Alexandra M. Pickett . NMC Summer 2009 . 1
Once you have set up these tools, here are some things to play with before the workshop:
1. Find and follow me http://www.twitter.com/alexpickett
2. Add the following youtube contacts:
3. Look at my bookmarks and send me a friend request http://www.diigo.com/profile/alexandrapickett
4. I will send you an invitation to participate in a voicethread discussion via email
(http://voicethread.com/share/524903). Please participate in it so you can see how it works, so we
can get to know each other before the workshop, and so that I can know if there is anything in
particular or specific that you are expecting, or that you would like to learn in this workshop. I’d really
like know so that I can do it if I can!
5. Friend me in seesmic and join one of my conversations or pick one from the public timeline to interact
6. Friend me in SecondLife! My avatar’s name is Alejandra Subagja. Visit my island:
I also just want to let you know that if you don’t have a video camera or mic built in to your laptop, and/or
you don’t bring a camera or mic with you to use, you won’t be able to do some of the activities at the
workshop, which is still ok because I can demonstrate them, show examples, and we will also spend time
Just want to be sure you know what to expect.
Please be sure to bring your laptop! I really look forward to meeting you!
Alex : )
Alexandra M. Pickett . NMC Summer 2009 . 2