1. Brent Elementary School Summer Reading Recommendations It is critical that children read year-round! Research has shown that only those children who make reading a habitduring summertime begin the following school year withouthaving lost ground. Please make time for reading every daythis summer – together with you, independently, or both - so that your child can continue to grow as a reader!
2. Guidelines forRecommended Summer Reading• Summer reading is incredibly important for reading level maintenance, so it is critical to make time for reading every day.• These books represent only a small sample of titles that your child/children may enjoy. You should not feel compelled to either stick to or complete the list.• Books on the PS/PK/K list, and many books on the first grade list, are intended to be read aloud with children.• Books are placed on grade level lists based on a combination of criteria including topic, level, and appropriateness for developmental age. That said, they may not be right for all readers in that grade, and it will be beneficial to look at more than one list to find good choices for your child.• These books are hand-selected by Brent staff! There are some classics, some currently popular titles, some fiction, and some non-fiction. It would be pages and pages long if we put down everything we would like for kids to read, so it is a representative sample. The idea is for families to go forth from here. – There is a separate list of poetry collections and anthologies, appropriate for a wide range of readers. – There is a separate list of fiction authors whose entire repertoire we love. These authors write at lots of levels, and it’s all good. – There is a separate list containing the names of non-fiction authors and series. We included non-fiction books in this way because sometimes we find authors that write great books on lots of subjects at lots of levels. Equally often, we find series that are assembled according to certain criteria, and the author is less important than a books’ membership in the collection.• Enjoy the reading! We hope that family reading time is a favorite activity in your home and that you are looking forward to devoting lots of time to it this summer!
3. Rising PS, PK, and KRecommended Summer ReadingTitle Author DescriptionGoodnight Moon M. W. Brown Poetry, Picture BookThe Runaway Bunny M. W. Brown Fiction, Picture BookLeo the Late Bloomer R. Kraus Fiction, Picture BookChicka Chicka Boom Boom B. Martin Rhyming Picture BookAbiyoyo P. Seeger Folk Tale, Picture BookKnuffle Bunny M. Willems Fiction, Picture BookElephant and Piggie M. Willems Fiction, Picture BookTo Market, To Market A. Miranda Fiction, Picture BookMake Way for Ducklings R. McCloskey Fiction, Picture BookGuess How Much I Love You S. McBratney Fiction, Picture BookI Know an Old Lady that Swallowed a Fly N. B. Westcott Poetry, Picture BookThe Grouchy Ladybug Eric Carle Fiction, Picture BookRed Leaf, Yellow Leaf L. Ehlert Non-FictionHop on Pop Dr. Seuss Rhyming Picture BookIs Your Mama a Llama? D. Guarino Rhyming Picture Book
4. Rising First GradeRecommended Summer ReadingTitle Author DescriptionThe Rainbow Fish M. Pfhister Fiction, Picture BookKitten’s First Full Moon K. Henkes Fiction, Picture BookTacky The Penguin H. Lester Fiction, Picture BookSwimmy L. Lionni Fiction, Picture BookDairy of a Worm D. Cronin Fiction, Picture BookIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie L. Numeroff Fiction, Picture BookHow Do Dinosaurs Go To School? J. Yolen & M. Teague Fiction, Picture BookClick, Clack, Moo: Cows that Type D. Cronin Fiction, Picture BookThe Little House V. L. Burton Fiction, Picture BookCurious George H. A. Rey Fiction, Picture BookPierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue M. Sendak Fiction, Picture Book
5. Rising Second GradeRecommended Summer ReadingTitle Author DescriptionA Bad Case of the Stripes D. Shannon Fiction, Picture BookStrega Nona T. dePaola Fiction, Picture BookIra Sleeps Over B. Weber Fiction, Chapter BookGooney Bird Greene L. Lowry Fiction, Chapter BookTikki Tikki Tembo A. Mosel Folk Tale, Picture BookThe Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig E. Trivizas Fairy Tale, Picture BookPeter’s Chair E. J. Keats Fiction, Picture BookThe Tale of Peter Rabbit B. Potter Fiction, Picture BookMiss Nelson is Missing! H. G. Allard Fiction, Picture BookMadeline L. Bemelmans Fiction, Picture BookCloudy with a Chance of Meatballs J. Barrett Fiction, Picture BookA Flag for Our Country E. Spencer Narrative Non-FictionThe Long Way to a New Land J. Sandin Narrative Non-FictionSharks G. Gibbons Non-FictionBravest Dog Ever: The True Story of Balto N. Standiford Narrative Non-Fiction
6. Rising Third GradeRecommended Summer ReadingTitle Author GenreEncyclopedia Brown D. Sobol Fiction, Chapter BookThe Girl Who Loved Wild Horses P. Goble Folk Tale, Picture BookWhy Mosquitos Buzz in People’s Ears V. Aardema Folk Tale, Picture BookNate the Great M. Sharmant Fiction, Chapter BookFantastic Mr. Fox R. Dahl Fiction, Chapter BookSummer Reading is Killing Me (Time Warp Trio) J. Scieszka Fiction, Chapter BookDr. De Soto W. Steig Fiction, Picture BookThe Stories Julian Tells A. Cameron Fiction, Chapter BookFreckle Juice J. Blume Fiction, Chapter BookA River Ran Wild L. Cherry Non-FictionFollow the Drinking Gourd J. Winters Historical FictionThe Big Dipper and You E. C. Krupp Non-FictionOwls (Animal Predators Series) S. Markles Non-FictionKoKo’s Kitten F. Patterson Non-FictionOur Solar System S. Simon Non-Fiction
7. Rising Fourth GradeRecommended Summer ReadingTitle Author DescriptionBunnicula D. Howe Fiction, Chapter BookMy Side of the Mountain J. C. George Fiction, Chapter BookThe Hundred Penny Box S. B. Mathis Fiction, Chapter BookThe Sign of the Beaver E. C. George Fiction, Chapter BookThe Penderwicks J. Birdsall Fiction, Chapter BookCharlie and the Chocolate Factory R. Dahl Fiction, Chapter BookThe Story of Dr. Doolittle H. Lofting Fiction, Chapter BookTales of a Fourth Grade Nothing J. Blume Fiction, Chapter BookNim’s Island W. Orr Fiction, Chapter BookShiloh P. R. Naylor Fiction, Chapter BookPhoebe the Spy J. B. Griffin Narrative Non-FictionEarthquakes S. Simon Non-FictionThe Secret Soldier: The Story of Deborah Sampson A. McGovern Non-Fiction, Chapter BookIf You Lived With the Cherokees P. Roop Non-FictionIf You Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620 A. McGovern Non-Fiction
8. Rising Fifth GradeRecommended Summer ReadingTitle Author DescriptionSwiss Family Robinson J. Wyss Fiction, Chapter BookThe Witch of Blackbird Pond E. G. Speare Historical FictionMrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh R. O’Brien Fiction, Chapter BookThe Borrowers M. Norton Fiction, Chapter BookThe Tiger Rising K. DiCamilio Fiction, Chapter BookFrom the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler E. L. Konigsburg Fiction, Chapter BookThe Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia) C. S. Lewis Fantasy, Chapter BookThe Westing Game E. Raskin Mystery, Chapter BookTuck Everlasting N. Babbitt Fiction, Chapter BookThe Secret Garden F. H. Burnett Fiction, Chapter BookThe Kid’s Guide to Money S. Otfinoski Non-FictionAbout Time: A First Look at Time and Clocks B. Koscielniak Non-FictionToys!: Amazing Stories Behind Some Great Inventions D. Wulffson Non-FictionNo Easy Way: The Story of Ted Williams and the Last .400 Season F. Bowen Non-FictionOlder Than the Stars K. Fox Non-Fiction
9. Poetry AnthologiesRecommended Summer ReadingTitle Author DescriptionWhere the Sidewalk Ends Shel Silverstein CollectionA Light in the Attic Shel Silverstein CollectionFalling Up Shel Silverstein CollectionSomething Big Has Been Here Jack Prelutsky CollectionPoetry for Young People (A Collection Organized by Poet) Various AnthologyIf You’re Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand Kalli Dakos CollectionKnock at a Star: A Child’s Introduction to Poetry X. L. Kennedy AnthologyThe Random House Book of Poetry for Children Jack Prelutsky AnthologyOne Hundred Years of Poetry for Children Michael Harrison AnthologyRead Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young Jack Prelutsky CollectionAnimal Poems Valerie Worth CollectionThis Same Sky: A Collection of Poems from Around the World Naoimi Shihab Nye AnthologyHere’s a Little Poem: A Very First Book of Poetry Jane Yolen Collection
10. Favorite Fiction Authors ListRecommended Summer ReadingAuthor Description Some Sample Titles/Series NameEric Carle Fiction, Picture Books The Very Hungry Caterpillar; A House for Hermit CrabLeo Lionni Variety An Extraordinary Egg; Swimmy; It’s Mine!Mem Fox Fiction, Picture Books Koala Lou; Possum MagicSyd Hoff Fiction, Easy Readers Danny and the Dinosaur; Grizzwold, Sammy the SealJuanita Havill Fiction, Picture Books Jamaica’s Find; I Heard it From Alice ZucchiniJames Howe Fiction, Variety Houndsley and Catina; The MisfitsPatricia Polacco Fiction, Picture Books Thank You, Mr. Falkner; Babushka’s DollEve Bunting Fiction, Variety Crow Call; A Train to SomewhereTomie dePaola Fiction, Variety 26 Fairmont Ave; The Art Lesson; Strega NonaDavid A. Adler Mystery/Non-fiction Cam Jansen; A Picture Book of George WashingtonCynthia Rylant Variety Poppleton; When I Was Young in the MountainsMarjorie Sharmat Mystery, Chapter Books Nate the Great; A Big Fat Enormous LieBeverly Cleary Fiction, Chapter Books Ramona Quimby, Age 8; Henry HugginsKate DiCamilio Fiction, Chapter Books Because of Winn Dixie; The Tale of DespereauxJulia Alvarez Fiction, Chapter Books How Tia Lola Came to Stay; In the Time of Butterflies
11. Favorite Nonfiction Authors/Series ListRecommended Summer ReadingAuthor/Series Description Some Sample TitlesASPCA Pet Care Guides Animal Care Hamster; Fish; TurtleInside Series Extreme Weather Inside Tornadoes; Inside HurricanesIf You Lived… Historical If You Lived at the Time of the American RevolutionMy America Narrative Historical Freedom’s Wings: Corey’s Underground Railroad DiaryNational Geographic Expository High-Interest National Geographic Readers: Penguins!Kids TopicsLet’s Read and Find Out High Interest Answers to How People Learned to Fly; What Makes a Magnet(Science) Kids’ QuestionKlutz Instructional Books Scoubidou: A Book of Lanyard and Lacing