1. +eSAC projectANDEAN REGIONFelipe Mejía MedinaChemEng, MSc. December 6th, 2011 Washington, DC
2. + 2 Statistics ICT/e-health It is getting better and better TOPIC COLOMBIA VENEZUELA ECUADOR PERU BOLIVIAICT Development Index rank, 2010 76 65 88 83 102ICT Development Index, 2010 3,75 4,11 3,37 3,52 2,83Mobile cellular subscriptions (per 100 population), 2010 93,76 96,20 102,18 100,13 72,30Internet users (per 100 population), 2010 36,50 35,63 24,00 34,30 20,00 Source: International Telecommunication Union ICT Statistics Comparison: Switzerland, ICT Development index 2010 8,23 Rank 2. Mobile users 2010, 113. Internet users, 90. This means at the end: Reorientation of LAC health systems Introduction of changes into the health sector and in the relationships among stakeholders A view to increase equity in benefits, efficiency in management, and effectiveness A search of satisfying the health needs and expectations of the population
3. + 3 Which are our challenges? TOPIC Colombia Venezuela Ecuador Peru BoliviaSocial determinants of health (Equity and access, x x x x xlanguage, cultural barriers and illiteracy)Foster institutionality x x x x xLack of medical specialists x xLack of structural resources x xGeographical barriers (communication) x x x x xExpand sms-mHealth initiatives xScale pilot projects to national and regional scope xFoster interoperability x x x x xDiscontinuation of ICT/ehealth policies x x x Shifting of epidemiological profiles, changing demographics: age structures and lifestyles High urbanization and industrialization Growing demand for better access to patient- oriented quality care Inefficient allocation of scarce resources and lack of coordination among stakeholders
4. + 4 Statistics ICT/e-healthThe response to such challenges TOPIC COLOMBIA VENEZUELA ECUADOR PERU BOLIVIANational eGovernment policy Yes Yes Yes Yes YesNational eHealth policy No No No Yes Not foundNational telemedicine policy Yes Yes Yes Yes Not foundmHealth initiatives Yes Yes Yes Yes YeseLearning in health sciences Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Sources: Atlas eHealth Country Profiles Global Observatory for eHealth series - Volume 1 2010, Salud electrónica en América Latina y el Caribe: avances y desafíos CEPAL - Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe eSAC may help in: For standards, new definitions, eHealth training Support communication and networking activities For market eHealth development and foster interoperability Create capacity development opportunities For cooperation, collaboration and health systems integration The evaluation of solutions based on (ICTs) that address priority challenges For eHealth policies, regulations, monitoring-evaluation development Activities aimed at informing and sensitizing policy makers
5. + 5 Thank you for your attention ¡Gracias!
6. + 6 Questions?
7. + 7 Contact Information Felipe Mejía Medina eSAC YP (Colombia) email@example.com Twitter: @FelipeMejiaMedi