View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
The Role of Narrative and StoryTelling inYour Startup
& How it Can Lead toYour Getting Media Coverage
June 1, 2014
• Need 3 volunteers / 2 minutes each
• What’s your story?
• What makes you interesting?
• Who’s had media coverage?
• Where do you think you need to be covered?
• Live on www.alanweinkrantz.com blog & Slideshare
• Ask questions….I’m not here to “lecture…”
• Based on belief sets, principles, and experimentation
• Real world examples
• Premise based on your doing much of this yourself - and as a
• Tech PR / Branded Journalism
• 30+ years…. been through major shifts & cycles
• 20 years back and forth to Israel
• U.S. and Israel
• Learn about the role of narrative and story telling for your startup
• Take-away ﬁve steps you can apply through the end of 2014
• Build a body of work that will contribute to your being discovered
• How it can help lead to media coverage
• Add a layer of value to your brand
A huge, global volume of startups….
all vying for attention in the media
Do you have the right contacts in the
media to get us a huge story in….. ?
We have a huge (and
next week and we need to
be covered everywhere….
_____ is on our Advisory
Board….our team came from
the IDF….we have the most
disruptive technology in the
history of man-mind….we are
going to be the Google of
I heard that if you _________
with journalists, it’s a sure way
to get__________. At least
that’s what a friend of mine at
another start-up did….and got
covered in ______…
Our space is very unique, and
unless you have relationships
with media in the ____ sector,
how can you help us?
There’s always a story behind the
story, and what it took to get there….
ALAN’S PRINCIPLES OF
• Build a sustainable body of work
• Pitch - with expectations
• Keep listening and contribute to your ecosystem
• Identify the writers, bloggers, analysts who you think matter
• Come up with 15 - 20 as your target and assign the founders the
responsibility to tune in, read, and just listen…
• Share your insights with the team on what they write about, say,
issues they cover, what they could be missing, and most of all,
where you can help them.
A BODY OF WORK
• Depends on what you are doing… use common sense
• Social, of course,
• Blog is best.
• Helpful content. Not self-promotional.
• Write to help the media discover you and be an authoritative
PITCH - EXPECTATIONS
• Introductory email
• Various ways to “pitch”
• Meeting and following up at conference is a good way
• Commenting on articles can help you be discovered
• Not every pitch sticks
As story tellers you have the
opportunity to add a massive
layer of value to your startup
What’s Branded Journalism?
The art of applying story telling and
building narratives to support and
reﬂect a brand’s values…
Having a body of work separates your
startup… all vying for attention
• Agree to some basic milestones
• Don’t be afraid to write
• Don’t publish until you feel comfortable doing so
• Build out an editorial calendar
• Share the responsibility with your co-founders
• Decide on the outposts (channels)
• Allow 90 days to get the process going
• Use stock tools
• Your SmartPhone is a very powerful story telling platform