, Tech PR / Startup Communications Strategies - Engaged by @Rackspace to help Israeli Startups & Devs Succeed
at Rackspace, the #1 managed cloud company - Startups Program - (contractor)
1. ABOVE THE CODE™ Mexico City October 26, 2012
2. Hacking Your Startup’s PR and Communications Initiatives To Get You Above The Code™
3. Coming “Home...” My parents & grandparents in 1946 @ Xochimilco
4. You are not justbuilding a startup.
5. You’re creating what’s next in Mexico
6. You have 102 days to get ready forDemo Day
7. 90 DAY PLAN TO GET READY• November / December / January• To beneﬁt... • your startup • the community • your country
8. ABOUT• 30 years - yup, I am an old school PR guy :) -• San Antonio & Tel Aviv• Works with Jeff Pulver on State of NOW -#140Conf• Involved with Israel’s traditional tech sector for the last 18 years
9. Life in three labs.... Tel Aviv San AntonioNYC / London / Tel Aviv, etc.
10. GETTING LUCKY...• Belief set about getting lucky with.... • PR • Social • Content
11. 2 PARTS TO PRESENTATION• Principles and belief sets for the long run• Practical and actionable steps to help you be ready for DEMO Day on February 5, 2013, and beyond...
12. THE MEDIA IS YOUR FIRST MARKETto share and tell your story
13. The Media is Your Customer.... bloggersyou analysts & the the consumer enterprise media
14. GOOD NEWS :)• Very low cost / no cost to create a start-up• Big Idea• Core team• Strong will• Servers / hosting• Coding
15. BAD NEWS :(• Someone in New York, Madrid, San Francisco, Singapore, Tel Aviv, Mumbai is thinking the same thing as you are :(• Hard to have a defensible position• Hard to protect your IP
17. QUALITIES NOW• No Intellectual property• Nothing really defensible• Strategic investors & partners - Friends, Family, Angels, MexicanVC, 500 Startups, Google, Microsoft, etc.• Up until recently....No funding, or angel, micro, friends & family funding• Easy to run a virtual company... no real address, presence from a co- working space and an IP phone number
18. THE WORLD AS WE KNEW IT• Hardware• Software Go to School• Telecom Go to College / University• Security Summer Job Go to Work• Bio Sciences• Medical Devices
19. THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT High School• Hardware Start-Up Gap Year• Software Start-Up College / University• Telecom Start-Up Work• Security Startup• Bio Sciences Quit Day Job Startup• Medical Devices
20. Outbound / Inbound StrategyOutreach to media pick me Being found by the media ﬁnd me
21. PR in the past..... bloggerscompany agency media startup analysts
22. 3 KEY ELEMENTS• Design• Data• Distribution
23. WHAT I BELIEVE• 12 Fundamental Belief Sets • Not everything I do always works •I do this for me... I do this for clients. • There’s always exceptions to the rules • Discussion is based on a combination of experience and principles
24. From > Code
25. To > Above The Code
26. Alan’s12 Fundamental Belief Sets
27. #1 - STOP PITCHING• Start story telling• Yourpitch helps clarify / deﬁne what you do, but really sucks as a way to get coverage
28. #2 - YOU’RE REALLY A MEDIA COMPANY THAT....•Creates and makes media • Pinterestso you’ll be discovered, • Instagramfound and shared • SoundCloud • YouTube • Google Plus • Twitter • LinkedIn • Facebook • UStream • Blog
29. #3 UNDERSTAND THEDIFFERENCES BETWEEN BEING...• Discovered - random being discovered and being found increases your chances• Found - search of sharing
30. #4 IT’S NOT ABOUT YOU• How do you help others do something in a compelling way you could not do before
31. #5 BE HUMAN• Get off your perch and write like you would speak• Conversewith your potential market wherever they are
32. #6 LIKE MINDED PEOPLE TEND TO FIND EACH OTHER• Givethem a place to connect and share their story• Consider aligning with other startups like yours to create a multinational startup
33. #7 HAVE A MISSION• We’re out to make __________ better• We want to help _____ do _______• We want to help others the opportunity to ________• We’re connecting _______ with ______ so they can ________• We make it easier to ____________• Have your voice be heard about _________
34. #8 THINK LIKE A SOCIAL DEMOGRAPHER• The potential to collect “Big Data” means you have something of incredible value to a potential partner, investor, or brand• Gives you a better chance of a lift when an exit may present itself• Bigdata lends itself to infographics, which contributes to your thought leadership and a great way to get media coverage
35. spark - what if? “some funding.”.. technology platform story... narrative toreal value engagement BIG DATA Lift towards an exit... (c) Alan Weinkrantz
36. #9 PUT IT OUT THERE• You never know who is going to ﬁnd your content and engage• You don’t have to have high quality production values to do this• Hardware is cheap. Tools are free. Tons of creatives to help you
37. #10 DRAW, PAINT, PHOTOGRAPH, ROCK OUT• Do something or learn to do something creative other than working on your startup• Itwill re-wire your brain in an unexpected way my drums circa 1968
38. #11 IT’S NOT ALWAYS REPLICABLE• Justbecause one strategy or tactic worked for one company does not mean it will work for another
39. #12 GET LUCKY• Go wide• Get lucky• Runwith it when you strike a chord
40. THE MIND OF A DEVELOPER• Focus on... • functionality • application • utilitarian value
41. HACK YOUR OWN PR!• Youhave to “know” the journalist• Much of this you can do yourself• “Paper trails” on the Internet exist if you search correctly
42. PLAN....• Postand write relevant content • Read and comment on relevant so you can be a source to media articles without being self on your ﬁeld of expertise promotional.• Develop & publish infographics • Askend user / beta customers if you can share you can refer to them to media• Follow a wish list of 20 • Follow editorial calendars journalists you think should cover you
43. On October 25, 2012, Paul Singh says.....
44. NOW....• Reach out to media in Mexico • track competitors or DF companies in your periphery on news.google.com to see• Makea wish list of where you who covers and writes about belong them • business / tech / bloggers who are your fans back home • media appropriate to your space
45. November 2012 Identify tech media / consumer media /blogs / analysts speciﬁc to your expertise.Read. Listen. Read.
46. December 2012 Follow the writer Leave a comment Provide an insight on your expertise Share a great story from the publication
47. January 2013Propose coverage... with a simple email pitch. What? Why? How you can help...
48. what to read?
49. Web / Startups / Funding www.gigaom.com www.pandodaily.com www.thenextweb.com www.techcrunch.com
50. Shows To Watch Online www.thisweekinstartups.com www.techcrunch.com/search/gillmore+gang
51. Follow the money... www.angel.co www.businessinsider.com www.launchticker.com www.venturebeat.com
52. Follow The Angel / VC Money Brad Feld: www.feld.com Paul Graham: www.paulgraham.com Mark Suster: www.bothsidesofthetable.com Fred Wilson: www.avc.com
55. Alan’s View...U.S. media looking for interesting stories from around the worldMore tech events in the U.S. are attracting foreign startupsYou are the best Brand Ambassadors for Mexico Angels & VCs are looking for deal ﬂow outside of the U.S.
56. One-Half Billion Strong If you are building a Spanish-centric site,initially focus on Mexico, but think aboutserving the 500 million Spanish speakers around the world.
60. PLAN FOR PR & STORY TELLING• Ifyou follow some of these basic • Get everyone on your team to principles, you’ll be further make this part of their regimen ahead. as it will make them aware of the opportunities that await you• This process takes at least six when you are ready. months to one year to really get on a journalist’s radar and be • Bring up PR in your team sticky - sometimes you can get meetings in a “what if...” scenario. lucky Be Ready For PR So You Can Succeed
62. Free tools to get you into the groove.... http://www.alanweinkrantz.com/startup-pr- Who did I pitch today? strategies-who-did-i-pitch-today http://www.gartner.com/technology/about/Gartner Brieﬁngs request form vendor_brieﬁngs.jsp Editorial calendars http://www.alanweinkrantz.com/ technology-public-relations-2011- editorial-ca
63. Methodically. Reach. Out.
64. ABOVE THE CODE™ please share:)
65. muchisimos graciasTwitter. Facebook. LinkedIn. Instagram. all photos by me © Alan Weinkrantz And Company 2012 Above The Code ™