MCN 2010, October 28, 2010
Jeff Sedlik, President of PLUS
Alan Newman, Board Member, PLUS Coalition
• Images must be more easily:
• Source should be identified
• Licensing terms unambiguous
Who is PLUS?
• Creators: photographers, illustrators.
• Distributors: stock agencies
• Users: book publishers, newspaper
publishers, magazine publishers, web
publishers, motion picture/TV, ad
agencies, designers, the public.
• Cultural Heritage: Museums, libraries,
researchers, educational institutions
• Other: software developers, attorneys,
picture researchers, artist reps,
manufacturers, standards bodies, etc.
• A collaboration between all
communities engaged in
creating, distributing, using and
• Mission: “Simplify the
management of image rights”
• Non-profit, neutral, apolitical,
PLUS Coalition – Our Work
• Global standards for expressing
• A Registry identifying artists, rights
holders, archives, and image
• PLUS-IDs: Unique identifiers for every
artist, rights holder, archive, license,
• Define and categorize image rights
• Glossary, License Schema, Media
Matrix, Unique Identifiers, Rights
• Multilingual codes support global use.
• Facilitate access and understanding.
• Support increased automation.
• A free resource.
The PLUS Registry
• Non-profit, industry-neutral “hub”
connecting all registries, worldwide.
• Repository for metadata identifying:
• Rights holders, archives, images,
• Persistent unique identifiers.
• Multilingual user interface
• API access lets other applications
connect for submission and search.
PLUS Registry - Images
• Access to rights and descriptive metadata
for any image.
• Common metadata schemas supported.
• Determine rights holder, archive name and
other critical info for any image.
• Search by PLUS Image-ID.
• Search by image recognition.
• Allows metadata to be added to images
• Mitigates orphan works issues.
The PLUS Registry
PLUS Registry – License Info
• Access to rights metadata for:
• Any image
• Any license
• Manual or Automated Registration.
• Update/Revise at any time.
Populating the Registry in “Phases”
1. Beta release now
2. Soon open for public
3. Invite image registration
4. Invite license registration
5. Provide API for DAM systems,
licensing platforms and other
Cultural Heritage Working Group
• Mission: Maximize benefit to museums,
libraries, research institutions and the
• Participants: All are welcome.
• Founding participants are:
Metropolitan Museum of Art, Getty
Museum, Israel Museum,
National Gallery of Art, Boston MFA
• Email email@example.com
Mission of Cultural Heritage Group
• Preservation: Robust, persistent,
easily accessible rights metadata.
• Access: Works are more easily
accessible and usable.
• Rights & attribution metadata
communicated in universal format.
• Reduced liability when sharing/
offering/distributing images to
public & other institutions
Institutions Can More Easily
• Identify public domain & openly
• Manage image rights.
• Provide info to the public.
• Obtain licensed images.
• Collaborate internationally.
• Resolve orphan works
The Work of the Working Group
• Suggest rights metadata use
• Suggest revisions to PLUS
standards to maximize benefit
• Establish cultural heritage
metadata profiles for the
• Please participate in the PLUS
Cultural Heritage Working
Group. Listserve to launch in
• For more on PLUS, visit:
• Questions or Suggestions: