Asthma

6,713 views
6,578 views

Published on

What is known about asthma ,asthma steps ,
presentation , features,diagnosis ,management

Published in: Health & Medicine
0 Comments
8 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
6,713
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
20
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
295
Comments
0
Likes
8
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • V1.0  1997 Merck & .
  • Asthma

    1. 1. Prof. Saad S Al-Ani Senior Pediatric Consultant Head of Pediatric Department Khorfakkan Hospital What is Known about Asthma ?
    2. 2. True or False Asthma Is" all in the mind". 1
    3. 4. True or False You will "grow out " of Asthma . 2
    4. 6. True or False 3 Asthma can be cured, so it is not serious, and no body died from it .
    5. 8. True or False 4 You are likely to devlop asthma if someone in your family has it .
    6. 10. True or False 5 You can "Catch " asthma from someone else who has it .
    7. 12. True or False 6 Moving to a different location, such as desert , can cure asthma .
    8. 14. True or False 7 People with asthma should not excercise .
    9. 16. True or False 8 Asthma does not require medical treatment .
    10. 18. True or False 9 Medications used to treat asthma are habit-forming .
    11. 20. True or False 10 Someone with asthma can provoke episodes anytime they want in order to get attention .
    12. 22. Asthma What is Asthma ?
    13. 23. Unfortunately <ul><li>Asthma </li></ul><ul><li>◙ Is one of the most common chronic </li></ul><ul><li>diseases with estimated 300 million </li></ul><ul><li>individuals affected worldwide </li></ul><ul><li>◙ Its prevalence is increasing </li></ul><ul><li>especially among children </li></ul>
    14. 24. Fortunately <ul><li>Asthma can be effectively treated and most patients can achieve good control of their disease </li></ul>
    15. 25. Fortunately <ul><li>When asthma is under control , patients can : </li></ul><ul><li>- Avoid troublesome symptoms night and day </li></ul><ul><li>- Use little or no reliever medication </li></ul><ul><li>- Have productive , physically active lives </li></ul><ul><li>- Have { near} normal lung function </li></ul><ul><li>- Avoid serious attacks </li></ul>
    16. 26. Asthma <ul><li>Causes recurrent episodes of: </li></ul><ul><li>Wheezing </li></ul><ul><li>Breathlessness </li></ul><ul><li>Chest tightness </li></ul><ul><li>Coughing </li></ul><ul><li>particularly at night or in the early morning </li></ul>
    17. 27. Asthma <ul><li>Is a chronic inflammatory disorder of the airways. </li></ul>
    18. 28. Asthma Attacks <ul><li>Are episodic ,but airway inflammation is chronically present </li></ul>
    19. 29. Chronically inflamed airways <ul><li>Are hyperresponsive ; they become obstructed and airflow is limited </li></ul><ul><li>(by 1. Bronchoconstriction </li></ul><ul><li>2. Mucus plugs </li></ul><ul><li>3. Increased inflammation ) </li></ul><ul><li>When airways bare exposed to various risk factors </li></ul>
    20. 30. Common Risk factors <ul><li>Include: </li></ul><ul><li>1. Exposure to allergens : </li></ul><ul><li>* House dust mites </li></ul><ul><li>* Animals with fur </li></ul><ul><li>* Cockroaches </li></ul><ul><li>* Pollens </li></ul><ul><li>* Molds </li></ul>
    21. 31. Common Risk factors (cont.) <ul><li>2. Occupational irritants </li></ul><ul><li>3. Tobacco smokes </li></ul><ul><li>4. Respiratory viral infections </li></ul>
    22. 32. Common Risk factors (cont.) <ul><li>5. Exercise </li></ul><ul><li>6. Strong emotional expressions </li></ul><ul><li>7. Chemical irritants </li></ul>
    23. 33. Common Risk factors (cont.) <ul><li>8. Drugs </li></ul><ul><li>such as: </li></ul><ul><li>* Aspirin </li></ul><ul><li>* Beta blockers </li></ul>
    24. 34. Stepwise approach <ul><li>To pharmacologic treatment to achieve and maintain </li></ul><ul><li>control of asthma should take account the : </li></ul><ul><li>- Safety of treatment </li></ul><ul><li>- Potential for adverse effects </li></ul><ul><li>- Cost of treatment required to achieve control: </li></ul>
    25. 35. Controller medications <ul><li>For many patients controller medication must be taken daily to : </li></ul><ul><li>1. Prevent symptoms </li></ul><ul><li>2. Improve lung function </li></ul><ul><li>3. Prevent attacks </li></ul>
    26. 36. Reliever medications <ul><li>May occasionally be required to treat acute </li></ul><ul><li>symptoms such as: </li></ul><ul><li>1. Wheezing </li></ul><ul><li>2. Chest tightness </li></ul><ul><li>3 . Cough </li></ul>
    27. 37. <ul><li>1.Assess symptoms </li></ul><ul><ul><li>&quot;In the last month </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>-Have you had difficulty sleeping because of your asthma symptoms (including cough)? </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>-Have you had your usual asthma symptoms during the day (cough, wheeze, chest tightness or breathlessness)? </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>-Has your asthma interfered with your usual activities e.g. housework, work/school etc?&quot; </li></ul></ul></ul>Summary of Asthma Review
    28. 38. <ul><li>Cont. </li></ul><ul><li>2.Measure peak flow </li></ul><ul><li>3.Assess inhaler technique </li></ul><ul><li>4.Consider personalised asthma plan </li></ul>Summary of Asthma Review
    29. 39. True or False Asthma Is&quot; all in the mind&quot;. 1
    30. 40. <ul><li>Asthma is not a psychological condition . However, emotional triggers can cause flare-ups. </li></ul>False:
    31. 41. True or False You will &quot;grow out &quot; of Asthma . 2
    32. 42. <ul><li>You cannot outgrow asthma . In about 50% of children with asthma, the condition may become inactive in the teenage years. The symptoms , however, may recur at anytime </li></ul>False:
    33. 43. True or False 3 Asthma can be cured, so it is not serious, and no body died from it .
    34. 44. <ul><li>There is no cure for asthma, but the disease can be controlled in most patients with good medical care . The condition should be taken seriously since uncontrolled asthma may result in emergency hospitalization and possible death. </li></ul>False:
    35. 45. True or False 4 You are likely to devlop asthma if someone in your family has it .
    36. 46. <ul><li>You have a : </li></ul><ul><li>6% chance of having asthma </li></ul><ul><li>if neither parent has the condition ; </li></ul><ul><li>30% chance </li></ul><ul><li>if one parent has it ; </li></ul><ul><li>70% chance </li></ul><ul><li>if both parents have it . </li></ul>True
    37. 47. True or False 5 You can &quot;Catch &quot; asthma from someone else who has it .
    38. 48. <ul><li>Asthma is not contagious </li></ul>False:
    39. 49. True or False 6 Moving to a different location, such as desert , can cure asthma .
    40. 50. <ul><li>A new environment may temporarily improve asthma symptoms , but it will not cure asthma . After a few years in the new location, many persons become sensitized to the new environment , and the asthma symptoms return with the same or even greater intensity than before. </li></ul>False:
    41. 51. True or False 7 People with asthma should not excercise .
    42. 52. <ul><li>Swimming is an optimal exercise for those with asthma. On the other hand, exercising in dry, cold air may be a trigger for asthma in some people </li></ul>False:
    43. 53. True or False 8 Asthma does not require medical treatment .
    44. 54. <ul><li>Asthma is best controlled by having an asthma management plan designed by your doctor that including the medications used for quick relief and those used as controllers. </li></ul>False:
    45. 55. True or False 9 Medications used to treat asthma are habit-forming .
    46. 56. <ul><li>Asthma medications are not addictive . </li></ul>False:
    47. 57. True or False 10 Someone with asthma can provoke episodes anytime they want in order to get attention .
    48. 58. <ul><li>Asthma attacks cannot be faked . </li></ul>False:
    49. 59. Partnership <ul><li>To reach and maintain asthma control requires the development of a partnership between the person with asthma and his or her health care team </li></ul>
    50. 60. Successful lives with asthma <ul><li>Is not a cause for shame </li></ul><ul><li>Olympic athletes </li></ul><ul><li>Famous leaders </li></ul><ul><li>Other celebrities and ordinary people </li></ul><ul><li>live successful lives with asthma </li></ul>ASTHMA

    ×