LIS 651 Syllabus
- An introduction to the fields of librarianship and information professions. Covering
- the evolving role of libraries in society;
- the legal and ethical aspects of the profession;
- the impact of rapidly changing information environments.
- Overviews of types of libraries and information centers and their organizational and staffing structures.
- Three hours of field observation are required.
- Identify the historical forces that have shaped libraries
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of libraries in society
- Identify the different types of libraries/information centers and the nature of the professional work in them
- Identify ethical and professional values
- Identify legal issues that affect the profession
- Identify trends in the publishing industry
- Understand the various funding options available to libraries
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral communication (class presentations and participation)