1. INTERNET PROTOCOL VERSION 6 (IPV6) BY J.MEENASRAVANTHI O8Q61AO526
2. INTRODUCTION:• The present version of the Protocol we are using is the Internet Protocol version 4, which is successful for many of the applications on the Internet. But with the latest trends in the technology we are about to get yet another version of the World Favorite Protocol which is the version 6. Yes, with the help of science and technology we have got a new solution to Ipv4 and probably its successor in the near future called INTERNET PROTOCOL Version 6 which is the topic of discussion below. It will change the entire meaning of Internet connecting itself with the upcoming technologies such are Internet2 and Quality Of Service (QoS). Let’s see about this version in detail now.
3. WHAT’S IPV6?• IPv6 is short for "Internet Protocol Version 6". IPv6 is the "next generation" protocol designed by the IETF to replace the current version Internet Protocol, IP Version 4 ("IPv4").
4. HISTORY• The current version of the Internet Protocol IPv4 was first developed in the 1970s, and the main protocol standard RFC 791 that governs IPv4 functionality was published in 1981.• With admirable foresight, the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) initiated as early as in 1994, the design and development of a suite of protocols and standards now known as Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6), as a worthy tool to phase out and supplant IPv4 over the coming years.
5. • IPv6 uses a128-bit address size compared with the 32-bit system used in IPv4 and will allow for as many as 3.4x1038 possible addresses, enough to cover every inhabitant on planet earth several times over. The 128-bit system also provides for multiple levels of hierarchy and flexibility in hierarchical addressing and routing, a feature that is found wanting on the IPv4-based Internet.
6. IPV6 FEATURES• Large address space• Efficient and hierarchical addressing and routing infrastructure• Built-in security• Extensibility
7. How IPv6 Work• Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is a networking protocol that allows Windows users to communicate with other users over the Internet. It interacts with Windows naming services such as Domain Name System (DNS) and uses security technologies such as Internet Protocol security (IPSec), because they help facilitate the successful and secure transfer of IP packets between computers.
8. INTERNET PROTOCOL VERSION 6
9. IPV6 ADDRESSING :• The most dramatic change from IPv4 to IPv6 is the length of network addresses. IPv6 addresses, as defined by RFC 2373 and RFC 2374, are 128 bits long; this corresponds to 32 hexadecimal digits, which are normally used when writing IPv6 addresses, as described in the following section. The number of possible addresses in IPv6 is 2128 ≈ 3.4 x 1038
10. IPV6 HEADER:• The most important and the only working part of any protocol is its HEADER. Without a Header any Protocol is useless. And thus its description and explanation is mandatory. The figure shown below is the IPV6 Header, which is much more simplified than its previous one.
11. IPV6 HEADER:
12. : TECHNOLOGIES• AUTO CONFIGURATION:• SECURITY:• FRIENDLY TO TRAFFIC ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIES:• MULTICAST:
13. IPv6 applications• The Windows Server 2003 family includes the following IPv6-enabled applications and components:• FTP client The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) client, Ftp.exe, can be used to establish FTP sessions with IPv4 and IPv6 FTP servers.• Telnet client The Telnet client, Telnet.exe, can be used to establish Telnet sessions with IPv4 and IPv6 Telnet servers.
14. ADVANTAGES• As compared to IVP4 it has Larger Address Space• It has better header format as compared to IPv4.• IPv6 has been designed in a way that a protocol can be extended simply to meet up the requirements of new upcoming technologies.• IPv6 provides better resource allocation support than IPv4.• It is more secure when compared to IPv6.
15. DIFFICULTIES AND ERRORS IN IPV6• Incompatability• Incoherence• Distractions
16. CONCLUSION:• IPV6 the latest version of IP series is going to set trends and make waves in the industry as its predecessors. IPV6 is having easy configuration, larger address bits, larger data transmission capacities and also supports a large number of users with its addressing scheme. It is having a simpler header than IPV4• It will be the biggest boon to the heavily populated countries like the one of ourselves.