9 TECHNOLOGIES FOR
WAYNE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
A’KENA LONGBENTON, EDS, PMC
WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY
Are you still archaically communicating with your
students via email or requiring them to meet face-toface for group projects? Join me to learn more
efficient and contemporary ways to communicate
and collaborate via the following technologies:
Google Drive, Google Hangout, Kikutext, Remind101,
Skype, Twitter, VoiceThread, Voki, & Wikispaces.
The technologies can be used in several ways: 1)
audio announcements/homework reminders; 2);
voice/video-based discussion forums; 3) student
As time permits, the aforementioned technologies will be
introduced in a workshop format where instructors will actively
participate in technology-based instructional activities. For
example, using the Kikutext and Remind 101 tools, instructors will
electronically receive messages using their mobile
devices, i.e., cell phone or laptops.
Furthermore, in this workshop, instructors will have an
opportunity to witness what the aforementioned technologies
look like in practice. (There's nothing worst than hearing about a
concept, but never seeing it in action! :-)) Most importantly, they
will be able to walk away from this workshop with applicable
knowledge that will assist them in their classrooms. This session will
not be a "sit and get" rather a "make and take" professional
development. The facilitator is not interested in simply feeding
the instructors information that they may never use, but rather
offer them an authentic learning experience.
SONG & QUESTIONS
Technology Tool for Workshop Questions (available until November
• Electronic revisions and group collaborations
• Real-time changes
• No longer a string of emails from multiple people
• FREE visual communication tool
• Google+ Hangouts is an instant messaging and video chat
• Up to 10 users for web conferencing or discussion forum
Use Google Chrome to log onto the Internet
• FREE two-way text messaging and email system.
• All personal information remains completely confidential. Teachers will
never see your phone number, nor will you ever see theirs.
• Sample text message: “type” @fall13 to 202-559.0236.
• Can receive email notifications immediately or delayed (5 minutes to 2
• Your Free subscription automatically renews each month.
• The Free plan includes:
• 60 messages per period
• 15 parents (users) per class
• 2 classes
• The regular period price of the Free plan is $0
• Unlimited messages
• Up to 7 classes and 170 parents (users)
• Remind101 is a FREE one-way text messaging and email
• With Remind101, all personal information remains
completely confidential. Teachers will never see your
phone number, nor will you ever see theirs.
• Sample text message: “type” @wc3dfod to 586-4802735.
• Or to receive messages via email, send an email to
• Invite your colleagues to use Remind101 via an email link
within your account.
• Embed your messages onto your blog or website.
• FREE visual communication tool for 1-on-1 collaboration
• Can share documents on screen
• Must have paid package for 3 or more people for $2.99+/mo.
• Twitter is a real-time information network that allows you to
• At the heart of Twitter are small bursts of information called
• Each Tweet is 140 characters long.
Voice/video-based discussion boards
Voki_MSU College of Education
Audio learning objectives and
Mobile Learning and Assessment
Mobiles & Open Content
• The technologies can be used in several ways: 1) student
collaboration; 2) content development, etc.
Please see Technology Integration Pages.
• The technologies explored promote: active and
independent learning; application; creativity;
critical thinking; problem solving; student
engagement; and reflection—not mere
• Word of Caution: Soft skills need to be addressed
when technologies are used, e.g., time
management skills. There are countless
technologies and distractions on the internet. If
students are not instructor-guided and/or
focused, then tons of unproductive hours can be
spent on the web with no intellectual gains.
Technology Tool for Workshop Questions: