1. Are you ready!!Mind-Blowing Lessonsfrom the Cannes Lions 2012
2. 2012 was aCOLOSSAL year for the Cannes Lions!
3. The question used to be "Whos at Cannes and Why?" The question this year was"Whos not at Cannes and Why?"
4. Agencies paid€14.8 million to submit their work
5. 386 jury members were tasked with going through 34,000 entries!
6. More #CannesLions Tweets per hourthis year than during the entire event last year Peaked @1000 tweets per hour!
7. Cannes Lions Seminars were all about... ....big ideas ...big thinking!
8. Thinking about...The Changing Consumer Fast-Evolving Technology Transforming Ad Biz
9. Thinking that most likely you have notheard before...
10. ...unless you were attending!
11. So here goes...
12. Earned Media has become bigger than Paid Media!
13. rulesYes...social media will rule all media already!
15. Social media usage is deeply rooted into people’s life
16. "Consumers today are smart,inventive & move faster than ever"as marketers we need to embrace that!
17. 2.4 billion millennials!The biggest generational cohort the world has ever seen & theyre demanding awesomeness
18. Millennials arent addicted tosocial media, they just use it to make their lives better
19. When the show Glee starts, Twitter usage increases 1000%
20. During the ENG vs. FRA match,there were 2.5 million tweets from 160 countries; 80% of the world!
21. London Olympic games will be the mostSocial games ever! 30% of US will watch the games on 3 screens
22. 48% of people 18-34 check their Facebook the minute they wake up.What device do you think they are using?
23. It’s not just PEOPLE’S behavior that is evolving!Technology is fast-evolving TOO!
24. 80% of todays technologydidnt exist ﬁve years ago!
25. "Innovation is happening faster than a lot of people think."
26. There will be 650 million smart phonesshipped this year.118% growth year on year
27. PwC estimates 2.9 billion smartphones in 2016, 1 billion in China
28. 1993 there were only 130 websites and 5 million internet users worldwide
29. The internet is expected to double in size every 3-5 years !
30. YouTube now has more content than ever broadcast on TV
31. All these changes are hitting the world of advertising...HARD!
32. The importance of Cyber Cannes Lions isntso much about the medium but the possibility and the threat it presents to the industry
33. The word social will eventually go away,social ads will just be ads, social experience just an experience!
34. Twitter is a front row seat to the worlds emotions!
35. The old age of advertising was about selling
36. The new age is about sharing
37. Were moving from planningcampaigns for the future toadapting campaigns to the moment
38. Planners should get away fromseeing the changes to come and move to creating the change themselves!
39. Think outside the world of advertising,make it a part of the social fabric of life!
40. Kraft Food is putting social at the center oftheir communication strategy. TV is now a TEASER for social media
41. Therefore data is no longer a nice tohave but a need to have!
42. Data enables us to create art & science,and gives us amazing ways to tell stories
43. Choice of visualization has a huge role in success or failure of your project.
44. In an era of information overload,right time is more important thanreal time, makes it relevant
45. Dont look for the commonalities indata. Look for abnormality. Thats where the interesting nuggets lie.
46. Data provides insights andopportunities for creatives targeting consumers
47. Individual check-ins are not thatinteresting - aggregation of check-ins tells you the story of my life
48. What is interesting about social is theaggregation. Aggregation tells you the story of your life
49. The greatest thing about these socialplatforms is that we have focus groups every second of the day
50. The digital world is perfect for us, because its always on!
51. All the data and technology means nothing in isolation!
52. Technology is no longer the marvel, its what we do with it
53. Treat digital as an infrastructure & youwill come up with solutions you havenever seen before!
54. The new creative process:creative directors work with technology directors
55. Have a tech expert in room from day one!
56. Move from “art & copy” to “art & code”
57. Engagement >Consumption
58. Creativity based on social engagement isnt additional,nor functional. Its fundamental
59. Paul Adams principles for success#1: make social interaction part ofevery single project brief
60. We are now living in a world where theconversation can become the campaign
61. Close the loop with TV commercials byleveraging the power of second screen possibilities
62. Think less about campaigns and more about platforms
63. When the content is embedded in aconversation, it getsa lot more engaging!
64. Experiences that are shared by a few canengage millions by creating talk value.
65. There is no better way to engage with a consumer than relentlessly
66. at the centre of the social graph is great content
67. message to creatives: come talk to artists managers, theyre the content creators!
68. big brands are looking fornew ways to make music and movies
69. "The content has tobe authentic and havepass-through value...ithas to be rooted in the brand strategy"
70. ‘content is king, distribution is queen’
71. post and pray does not work with video content
72. To sum up... Social media usage is deeply embedded in people’s life Technology is evolving faster than ever! Advertising business is being hit hard by these changes! Data is no longer a nice to have but a need to have! Move from “art & copy” to “art & code” Engagement > Consumption At the centre of the social graph is “great content”
73. Forget about the 4 Ps and adopt the 3 Cs, Curiosity, Culture, Courage
74. Cannes Lions Speakers quoted inthis presentation are: Lee Maicon - VP Insights & Planning - 360i René Rechtman - CEO - Goviral Joe Chen - Founder, Chairman, CEO - Renren Steve King - Chief Executive - Zenith Optimedia Amir Kassaei - Chief Creative Ofﬁcer - DDB Worldwide Jim Stengel - CEO - Jim Stengel Co. - Former P&G Global Marketing Ofﬁcer Linus Karlsson - Chairman and Chief Creative Ofﬁcer - McCann NY and London Arianna Hufﬁngton - President, Editor-in-Chief - The Hufﬁngton Post Media Group Antonio Lucio - Global Chief Marketing, Strategy and CDC - Visa Dana Anderson - SVP, Marketing Strategy and Communications - Kraft Foods Joseph Tripod - EVP, Chief Marketing and Commercial Ofﬁcer - The Coca-Cola Company
75. Cannes Lions Speakers quoted inthis presentation are: Paul Adams - Global Head of Brand Design - Facebook Maria Luisa Francoli Plaza - Global CEO - MPG Dan Greenberg - CEO - Sharethrough Mark Tutssel - Cheif Creative Ofﬁcer - Leo Burnett Marcel Fenez - Global Leader, Entertainment & Media Practice - PwC Dick Costolo - Chief Executive Ofﬁcer - Twitter Selena Gomez - Actress and Singer Marc Pritchard - Global Marketing & Brand Building Ofﬁcer - P&G Ross Levinsohn - Interim CEO, Executive Vice-President, Head of Global Media - Yahoo! Maurice Levy - Chairman, CEO, Chairman of the Management Board - Publicis Groupe Rei Inamoto - Chief Creative Ofﬁcer - AKQA
76. Cannes Lions attendees who’s tweets made this presentation possible! Brendan Burns - https://twitter.com/skin_macka WGSN - https://twitter.com/wgsn Louie Chow - https://twitter.com/louiechow Izzy De Leon - https://twitter.com/h_totheizzo AdPeople Worldwide - https://twitter.com/adpeopleww Sacha Declomesnil - https://twitter.com/sdeclomesnil Venables Bell - https://twitter.com/venablesbell Deborah Hall - https://twitter.com/web2mobile Social@Ogilvy - https://twitter.com/socialogilvy
77. Cannes Lions attendees who’s tweets made this presentation possible! Jason Xenopoulos - https://twitter.com/jasonxenopoulos Lynessa Williams - https://twitter.com/lynessamarie Ebuzzing - https://twitter.com/ebuzzinguk Salim Majzoub - https://twitter.com/salimmajzoub Alison Phalen - https://twitter.com/aliphalen Brad - https://twitter.com/agencebrad Cannes Lions (Ofﬁcial Twitter Feed) - https://twitter.com/cannes_lions Barry Cunningham - https://twitter.com/barrycunningham Trendrr - https://twitter.com/trendrr
78. Cannes Lions attendees who’s tweets made this presentation possible! Tim Collison - https://twitter.com/timcollison Warc Editors - https://twitter.com/warceditors Havas Media - https://twitter.com/havasmedia Marla Natoli - https://twitter.com/marlanatoli Thomas Jamet - https://twitter.com/tomnever Twitter Advertising - https://twitter.com/twitterads Robin Hassan - https://twitter.com/robinkayh R/GA - https://twitter.com/rga Joono Simon - https://twitter.com/joonosimon
79. Cannes Lions attendees who’s tweets made this presentation possible! MPG Global Team - https://twitter.com/mpg_global Kirowski Isobar - https://twitter.com/kirowskiisobar Miron Mironiuk - https://twitter.com/mironmironiuk Dan Dutesco - https://twitter.com/dandutesco Digitas - https://twitter.com/digitas DDB Paris - https://twitter.com/ddbparis Gowthaman - https://twitter.com/gowthamanr H+K Strategies - https://twitter.com/hkstrategies Thomas Crampton - https://twitter.com/thomascrampton Debbie Passaris - https://twitter.com/dpassaris
80. Cannes Lions attendees who’s tweets made this presentation possible! Johannes Kleske - https://twitter.com/jkleske Stefan Erschwendner - https://twitter.com/eranium ! / Mavs - https://twitter.com/jaymavs Craig Corica - https://twitter.com/ccorica Rei Inamoto - https://twitter.com/reiinamoto Daria - https://twitter.com/daria Rene Rechtman - https://twitter.com/rechtmanlondon Christina Fieni - https://twitter.com/christinaﬁeni Burcu - https://twitter.com/bkolancali Alemsah Ozturk - https://twitter.com/alemsah
81. This presentation was made by: Syed Abdul Karim Let’s connect: Twitter: @abdulkarim LinkedIn: www.linked.com/abdulkarim Blog: incito.syedabdulkarim.com Web: www.syedabdulkarim.com SlideShare: www.slideshare.net/akarim76