1. This Presentation is About:
2. Igneous Rock
Igneous rock is formed from molten rock that
hardened into a solid state.
3. Forming Igneous Rocks
4. Types of Igneous Rock
• There are two types of igneous rock:
Extrusive, which forms from lava that hardens on
Intrusive, which forms from magma that hardens
beneath Earth’s surface.
5. Extrusive Rock
Lava Cools Quickly
and Hardens into
Molten Rock Above Surface (Lava)
6. Extrusive rock formation - cooling lava
7. Intrusive Rock
When the Volcano Stops Erupting, the Magma
Cools Slowly and Hardens into Intrusive Rock
8. Igneous Rock Types
9. Sedimentary Rock
Sedimentary rock is made of sediment that has
been deposited, compacted, and cemented.
10. Sedimentary Rock - layers
11. Types of Sedimentary Rock
• There are three types of sedimentary rock:
Clastic, which is formed when rock fragments are
Organic, which forms when the remains of plants
and animals are deposited in thick layers.
Chemical, which forms when minerals that are
dissolved in a solution crystallize.
12. Sedimentary Rock
13. Metamorphic Rock
Metamorphic rock is any rock that has gone
under immense heat and pressure to
transform into another rock.
14. How Metamorphic Rocks are Formed
HEAT AND PRESSURE
15. Metamorphic Rock Forming
16. Types of Metamorphic Rock
• There are two types of Metamorphic rock:
Foliated, which is when the rock grains are
arranged in parallel layers or bands.
Nonfoliated, which is when the rock grains are