The case for TNCs The case against TNC
4. Where in the world?
5. How do TNC’s effect global wealth?
• Criticism of TNC is that they often exploit
workers in poorer countries. Should they pay
middle income nations a fairer price?
• TNC’s bring FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) to
nations and this encourages the multiplier
• Dyson in Malaysia, now paid £3 hr – a lot
more than average wage there.
6. How do TNC’s effect global wealth?
• Also bring wealth to impoverished regions, e.g. Nissan
in Sunderland. Within a trade bloc to generate more
money for local economy.
• Impacts could be social (e.g. Different pay for men and
women), economic (e.g. Products may alter local tastes
and traditions) or environmental (e.g. Contributing to
climate change through carbon dioxide emissions).
• Could be more effective if governments made them
invest in more countries or install a decent minimum
wage in certain countries aboard – not just at home.