Why do people make long and dangerous
journeys to the UK?
Hanoi to Haddon services –
life and death of a stowaway
It was 11:25am. The weather was fair
for an October morning. Stan Bowden
was driving a Volvo lorry with a cargo
of freshly dug Belgian potatoes to
Doncaster. He was headed north on
the A1 near Peterborough…………
• He heard a noise….
• He had driven over a body…..
• Whose body was it and why was it there?
What have you found out?
1. Who was Ky?
2. What was he trying to do?
3. Why did he need to make such a dangerous
Link to article
• How did he make his journey from Vietnam to
• He did not have enough money or documents
to allow him to fly.
• Label your world map to highlight his possible
• What are the solutions to prevent people
risking their lives to come into the UK?
• Does this change your view of immigrants in