2. European Migration
For your books…….
• Between 2004-2006, 265,000 Polish migrants
came into the UK. There are many positives and
negatives of having more diverse communities.
• Poland joined the EU in 2004, making it easier for
Poles to come into the EU. Since then the
economy in Poland has improved and many Poles
are now considering returning home to be back
with their families.
5. What is the impact of migration on
the UK?youtube clip on impacts
6. What is the impact of migration on
• Sort out the statements into the costs and
benefits of migration for the three groups–
be careful as some of these are tricky!
FOR THE UNITED KINGDOM
FOR THE MIGRANTS
(THE PEOPLE WHO MOVE)
AND THEIR FAMILIES
Polish migrants are willing to
work for a low wage
Polish migrants often live
together in one house and this
can cause parking problems in
Some things are more
expensive to buy in the UK
• Draw a cartoon to illustrate some of
8. WHO ARE EMILY AND PETER?
• Emily and her husband Peter lived
in the city of Torun, Poland
• Emily migrated to the UK in 2005
and her husband Peter soon joined
• They had a baby girl in January
2007 and by March 2007 they had
settled in rented accommodation in
High Wycombe, UK.
• But WHY did they move?
Push Factors – things that encourage or
force people to leave an area
Pull Factors – things that attract people to
In pairs sort out the factors that influenced Emily and Peter’s
migration into two groups:
‘Push Factors’ ‘Pull Factors’
Decide which 2 push factors and which two pull factors you think
were the most important out of this list.
9. Role Play
• In groups of three/four you will be given cards
representing a number of opinions on
whether Emily and Peter should stay or go.
• You have 15 minutes to create a short role-
play to perform in front of the class to explain
this point of view.
10. You Decide
• Using all the information from the last two lessons, you must
decide whether Emily and Peter should stay in the UK or return to
• Write down what your decision is and explain it by looking at the
main advantages and disadvantages. (3/4 to 1 side of writing).
• Paragraph 1 advantages for staying in UK
• Paragraph 2 disadvantages of UK
• Paragraph 3 Advantages of returning to Poland
• Paragraph 4 disadvantages of returning to Poland
• Final Decision…should Emily stay or should she go?
11. What do the words mean?