2. How can we draw a population structure graph
showing gender for a country?
3. Birth and death rate
• Birth rate = number of people born per
thousand of the population each year
• Death rate = number of people who die
per thousand of the population each year
Birth Rate (per 1000) 12.3 37.1
Death Rate (per 1000) 9.3 7.6
4. UK Population Pyramid
5. Population Pyramid
• Using the data on your handout to draw
the UK’s population pyramid.
6. How can you ‘read’ a population pyramid?
7. Population Pyramids
• A population _______ shows the population structure for
Table Pyramid Triangle Graph
• The height of the pyramid shows how _____ people live.
The base shows how many babies are _____ each year
The ill long born many killed
• Any indents may be from a war or ______ and any
bulges could be from baby booms or _________ coming
earthquakes tourists Famine migrants
education migrants disease animals
8. Population pyramid for Calcutta
• Complete the A5 Living Graph sheet on Calcutta