L.O. To be able to dance your way through explanations of how
waves work and how they change the shape of our coastline.
The work of waves
The work of waves
1. Waves Erode
•Hydraulic action – as waves
hit rocks, air is trapped and
compressed in the cracks and
when waves retreat, air
expands violently. This breaks
off bits of rocks (mini
•Abrasion – waves throw rocks
•Attrition – rock fragments
are smashed against each
other and further break down
•Solution – some minerals in
rocks slowly dissolve in water
Turn your knowledge into Action…
The secret art
of Coastal kung fu!
Hydraulic Action: make punching movements with hand- demonstrates
force of water hitting cliff.
Abrasion: make a throwing gesture with hands like you are throwing
dealing cards very rapidly
Attrition: make 2 fists, and then bring them towards each other, hitting
each other, then open hand to resemble a stone breaking.
Solution: have arms out stretched in front of you, waving fingers, and
moving arms downwards. Sound effect of something dissolving is
Dance your Kung Fu moves!
2. Waves Transport – Longshore Drift
In your exercise books draw an annotated
diagram to explain the process of longshore
Drift! Watch from 2
mins up to 4mins
3. Waves Deposit
• Material is dropped by waves once they lose energy
as they roll up a beach,
• Or where there is an obstacle.
• Or where there is shelter from the wind.
• In small groups create your own dance routine that
shows the processes of;
– transportation and
• The best group will get a merit and will be filmed for
the Geography blog.
• Write a love letter, breaking up with your long
• Imagine you are either the cliff face or the sea
and explain how erosion is breaking you up.
• Here are some examples!!!
• Write a love
letter, breaking up with
your long term partner.
• Imagine you are either
Cliff or the Sea and
explain that erosion is
breaking you up.