“QuizMaster’s word is gospel”
Thought of the day
• X is an Indian company, which started out as Dandekar and Co. Starting its
operations way back in 1931 it started manufacturing Hores brand lnk
powders & tables. It was incorporated as a private company in 1946, and
was converted into a public limited company in 1988.
• In May 2011, Japanese company Kokuyo S&T, acquired a 50.74 per cent
stake in X and the company has since been renamed to Kokuyo X Ltd.
Please give me X, which for many might have been an iconic childhood brand.
• This company (X) - found in 1937 by Edwin Land- operates in the field of
consumer electronics and eyewear. The company was started in order to
commercialize the invention made by Mr. Land. This invention and thus the
company name became so popular that X became a generic name for any such
• In 2011, X launched an instant mobile printer, designed by its creative director
Lady Gaga, which allows people to directly print from mobile phone or digital
• Raised on a small farm Elmtaryd, near Agunnaryd, this boy started a company
at the age of 17.
• According to media reports, the company X is the world’s largest consumer of
wood, and uses 1% of the Earth’s total wood supply.
• X, once used to have the tagline “Screw Yourself” to emphasize the ease of use
of its products.
• Which company?
• The term X is an agreement between a company and an employee that
guarantees the employee certain benefits, like monetary compensation
or stock options, if employment is terminated.
• The term Y is similar to a/an X in that it offers a severance package to an
executive when he or she becomes unemployed from a company. While both
terms describe severance packages given to executives upon termination of
duties, a Y goes further to include the severance packages granted executives
upon retirement, too.
• Z is a term used to describe a system of financial incentives designed to keep
an employee from leaving the company. These can include employee stock
options that will not vest for several years, but are more often contractual
obligations to give back lucrative bonuses or other compensation if the
employee leaves for another company.
• The Hindu and Jain mythology refer to X as the center of the universe, the
abode of Lord Brahma and a pantheon of gods and goddesses. According to the
ancient texts, X was the epicenter of the Earth and when the churning of the
oceans (Sagar Manthan) took place, X was able to withstand all the resulting
• Which company name originates from this place X?
• A bachelor in Computer Science from
MIT, Steve Jobs was impressed by him
when he reverse-engineered Apple’s file
system so that his startup’s, (the idea for
which came when he forgot his flash
drive while on a bus,) logo appeared
elegantly tucked inside.
• What is the company founded by this
• The name of this company literally translates to “The Halo” or “The Aura”
• Along with its primary interests, the company is active in the dermatological,
tissue engineering and pharmaceutical fields and is the
top nanotechnology patent-holder in the United States
• Liliane Bettencourt, the present owner of the company and the founder’s
daughter is the second most wealthiest woman in the world with a net worth
of around $32 billion.
• X was a consumer electronics company based in England.
The founder of the company left in 1937 to start another
company called FM Radio. It got amalgamated with
another company Y in 1962. In Sept 2012, UTV Motion
Pictures received a legal notice from X objecting that a
movie Z by UTV used X’s name without obtaining an NOC.
• X was also featured in the movie Life Of Pi by Ang Lee in
Give X & Z
Part Points Accepted
Every man has but one
5. Quizmaster’s favourite
• “After multiple attempts for 5 years, Charles Nelson X, by accident, invented
something. While the invention was successful, it did not make him rich, the
business collapsed in 1860, and X ended up in prison, leaving debts of more
than $200,000 to his family.
• Some 38 hours later, the company X was formed by Frank Augustus and
Charles Seiberling in honour of X and the invention.
• Firstly, the company produced horse hoof pads and then moved into bicycle
wheels until 1900.
• In 1900 the company decided to develop a logo to brand its operations, and as
a result they developed a wingfoot picture that would sit within the X name.
That logo is virtually the same as the logo that is used today.
• Interesting history. Give me X.
• The origins of what became Z go back to the 19th
century where, like many
long-established car manufacturers, a company started out manufacturing
bicycles. X, who was a bookseller, was unable to obtain spare parts to repair
his German bicycle.
• A disgusted X, despite not having technical experience, decided to start a
bicycle repair shop, which he and Y opened. In 1900, when the company had a
workforce of 32, Slavia exports began, with 150 machines shipped to London
for the Hewtson firm. Shortly afterwards, the press credited them as makers of
the first motorcycle.
• Z please.
• The economic depression which started in 2008 earns its origins to the real
estate bubble that preceded it.
• A lot of similarities exist between the long depression of 1873 and the 2008
• In 1873, the X industry was booming just as the housing industry boomed 10
years ago. And like housing, much of the X boom was due to excessive
government subsidies, which made the boom much larger than it should have
been. Investors, speculators, and bankers hurried to get in on the riches by
investing millions in X, and soon the X supply exceeded consumer demand.
• Which bubble burst led to the 1873 long depression?
X is a four letter term.
Jim O'Neill coined the term X in 2001 in "The World Needs Better Economic Xs", a
paper written for Goldman Sachs's "Global Economic Paper" series.
X has now changed to Y which is a 5 letter term.
Give me X and Y.
• The term X is said to have originated during the early 16th
Charles V used a particular method to distinguish between administrative
dossiers that had to be discussed by the Council of State, from those issues that
had to treated in an ordinary administrative way.
• Even today, most defense barristers’ briefs and those from private clients
make use of X, to keep it separate from the Government briefs, including those
of the prosecution counsel.
• The word traces its root to the Latin word meaning ‘head’ (as in chief).
• Use of this term in trade and finance originated in Medieval economies when a
common but expensive transaction involved trading heads of cattle.
• Which word are we talking about?
QM’s Favorites 1
• Usually, companies would pay artists to appear in commercials. In an
unlikely event, this music band (X) wanted to appear in a commercial,
and that too for no charge to the company. (Y)
• When the lead singer of the band was asked
about the association, he said about the product:
“These men have helped design the most beautiful
art object in music culture since electric guitar”
QM’s Favorites 2
• X, founded in 1948, is still one of Britain’s highest selling brands with approx
20 million units produced everyday and about a 150 units consumed every
• An interesting thing about X is that if you crush it in a darkened room, you can
see them sparkle blue!: this is because of triboluminescence (light produced by
• According to Y’s records, X is said to be world’s first registered brand.
• The X firm was founded in 1789 by Andrew X, who set up a trade shop for his
product in Soho, London and began producing cosmetic products.
• During those times, X’s clients included wealthy socialites, who took great
pride in their appearance.
• ““I was born on the 7th of July in 1981, my jersey number isI was born on the 7th of July in 1981, my jersey number is
seven, and thus number seven is very special for me. I loveseven, and thus number seven is very special for me. I love
the number 7”, said someone during the recent launchthe number 7”, said someone during the recent launch
(2013) of a certain brand.(2013) of a certain brand.
• Who? About what?Who? About what?
What precipitous and calamitous phrase was made popular by Ben Bernanke,
Chairman of the US Federal Reserve, when he warned the House Financial
Services Committee of something that would happen on January 1, 2013?
(obviously, he didn't think much of the Mayans and their theories).
Yoshida Kogyo Kabushikigaisha or simply, Yoshida Company Limited was
incepted in 1934. It is a conglomerate now with its biggest manufacturing unit
located in Megan, Georgia. It has presence in more than 50 countries.
What do they specialize in, something that each of us is using presently?
It was a brand of products and services developed by Microsoft which included
hardware, software and online subscription formats and was also linked to its
Xbox 360 platform.It released in Nov 2006 and was discontinued in Oct 2011 due
to the tremendous popularity of a similar product of one of Microsoft’s
It is a battery powered electric vehicle invented by Dean Kamen. Its name is
derived from the word segue meaning smooth transition. It consists of a number
of gyroscopic sensors, computers and motors for ease of use. It is on top of Time
magazine’s 50 Worst Inventions list.
What is it?
Rene X was a French tennis player and businessman. He was nicknamed "the Y" by
fans because of his tenacity on the court. In the world of business he is also known
as the creator of the X, which he introduced in 1929.
Y is the logo of X.
Which company has been named after the
winged horse of Greek mythology. Only the
last four letters of the name were used in
order to give the name a higher position in the
Initially, these papers were printed in Rashtrapati Bhavan. In 1950, these papers
were leaked. This changed the printing venue to Minto Road located security
Since 1980, these papers are printed in the North Block.
What am I talking about?
n= number of teams who have not answered.
• X’s logo represents the first vibrational mode of a thin L-shaped membrane,
clamped at the edges, and governed by the wave equation. In 2004, X had
around one million users across industry and academia. X’s users come from
various backgrounds of engineering, science, and economics.
• Identify X.
• Following is a picture of Prakash Chauhan with his three daughters and the
Chauhan family tree. The three branches denote the split of the company into
three independently managed companies.
• Which famous company was started by the Chauhans in 1929?
• Vijay, Anup and Sharad Chauhan: Parle Products (Parle- G, Monaco, KrackJack,
• Prakash Chauhan and Alisha, Nadia, Schauna: Parle Agro (Frooty, Appy, Hippo)
• Schauna Chauhan is the CEO of Parle Agro since 2006. Ramesh Chauhan: Parle
• It's said that the Mendip miners of the Mendip Mountains in England were
responsible for the origin of this term.
• Through strict mining laws , had any of the miners stolen lead or ore--their fate
would lie with the action of: "bring him to his house or work and where all his
tools and instruments are... and set fire all together and banish him!”
• Which term originates from this practice?
• This company is one of the world’s largest electronics company,
headquartered in Suwa, Japan.
• X came into being when it was selected as the official time keeper for the 1964
Summer Olympics in Tokyo, and started to develop an electronic printer to
print the timed events.
• Next generation of these electronic printers were introduced in 1975 which
were called the sons of the electronic printers, which led to the company name
name as we know it today.
• Which company?
• The name of the company X was the idea of Bob Bogle, who sold it to his boss
on the basis that as the word had only seven letters, it would be cheap to
maintain the neon signage above the storefront. That appealed to his boss's
frugal nature, which underpins the philosophy of the entire company.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.