You can talk about PRI collaboration here as well. In the picture down most that can be linked as PRI collaboration.
First production in Kharif 2010 happened in both Gosaba and Bansanti block covering all 6 GPs.Gosaba – Bali –I, Shambhunagar, Radhanagar, Pathankhali, and Bipradaspur.Basanti – Kathalberia.
Actually the number of registered farmers are 1123 and 513=1636 in (Mal, Nagrakatta) and Maynaguri block.
Micing -> Postering -> General Meeting with the villagers, local leaders and panchayetmemebers etc ->
Irrigation – if we would want to work on SRI in summers as well then we also need to work on water conservation as well.
Its not that we didn’t have the information about B 9, it’s working quite good in Sundervan area and just working fine in Jalpaiduri as well. This doesn’t mean that we were there to promote B 9 but we were confident that if farmers are using B 9; there should be no harm. Unfortunately it just didn’t work well in many places and showed average results in other places. You can better say that it also resulted in the drop out in certain areas as well. We would see that in next slides.
Agro Industries (A govt agency to supply agriculture tools in Jalpaiguri) – they denied to deliver the weeder stating that they can’t change the design right now and we have to wait for 4 months at least. That time, we had the reference of Mal ADO. Then we talked with the supplier in Alipurduar, he then sent us sample weeder which farmers rejected saying it won’t work in Wheat. We didn’t want to invest double on weeders so we (here we means farmers) then designed weeder that can especially work both in Wheat and Mustard. By that time, we were late by 20 -30 days. Farmers were already troubled with poor situation in mustard and presence of weeds only lowered their patience. So there was a drop out in the crops.
A farmer – what is his future? His source of information is a local shop – you have seen the seed failure and all the disease and pests – what kind of information they get from there? If somehow he gets good rain and therefore a good produce where is the market – if somehow he manages to send it to the market with the help of middlemen then what is the price he gets for the produce???? What is the future..please tell me and forget about all this….where is the sustain – ability -- do you think would they always be interested in agriculture. The area I have been working for the last four months is the place where there is a growing tendency for Tea gardens, migration as a wage earners…..where is the future?????
You keep growing all the vegetables and all the SRI things but it shall sustain …. I do doubt. We need to be a bit innovative. Think of something which help them to reshape. We are here to propose something …. This is an idea… there might be one hundred thousands of loopholes in this explanation but still I am going to talk about an idea. Think about that.
and put it into a proper structure – would save huge amount of money that we are investing on promoting SRI – and moreover it WOULD BE SUSTAINABLE in itself.
Now could you please think of a place where farmer gets all the information which he used to get from the local shop. These shop owners claim to be very informative and possessing relevant certificates but do they really have ‘information’ on various aspects of farming practices???? Well … personally I don’t think so.
FC-> Farmers’ Club
Excess produce would be purchased by the SRI Kendra and would be sent into the market.
But the question is … Why Commercialisation…???
1. C OMMENCEMENT OF ‘A S YSTEM ’ INTO THE C ONVENTIONAL A GRICULTURE SRI Dr Rajeev SharmaKendra February 22 ,2011 PRASARI www.prasari.org
2. 2 L OCATIONS …PRASRI COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
3. 3 A CTIVITIES …
4. 4 A REA B ACKGROUND …SU GosabaND BasantiER Two blocks.V Six Gram Panchayets ≈1900 registered farmersAN COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
5. 5 A N I NSIGHT INTO …1/2 Crops under SRI 2010-2011SU MustardND WheatER PaddyVA 0 200 400 Paddy 600 800 1000 Wheat 1200 1400 1600 Mustard 1800 2000N Area (Acre) No of farmers 747.9 1833 7 29 4.3 34
6. 6 A N I NSIGHT INTO …2/2 A detailed insight into Sundervan’s StatisticsS 1200U 1000 Gosaba and Basanti both blocksN 800 Gosaba blockD 600E 400R 200V 0 SDTT NABARD NABARD SDTT SDTT SDTTA 6 1 5 4 1 4 4 4 Kharif 2010 Kharif 2010 Kharif2010 Rabi 2010-11 Rabi 2010-11 Rabi 2010-11 Rabi 2010-11 Rabi 2010-11 Paddy Wheat MustardN No of farmers Area (Acre) 1010 334 98 31 140 158.3 231 107.3 209 69.3 145 48 29 7 34 4.3
7. 7 A REA B ACKGROUND …JA NagrakattaLPA Mal BazarIG Three blocks. MaynaguriU Ten Gram PanchayetsR >1600 registered farmersI COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
8. 8 P RASARI AND ITS L OCATIONS PRASARI CDHINAGRAKATTA MAL BAZAR MAYNAGURI
9. 9 L OCATIONS AND FARMERS …J MaynaguriA Mal, 1123 , 513L 26%PA 57%I 17%G NagrakattaU , 326RI COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
10. 10 C ROPS V S . A REA …J Paddy WheatA Maynaguri Maynaguri, 160L , 288 Mal, 315 Mal, 309P Nagrakatta, 180A Nagrakatta ,4 MustardI Maynaguri, 65GU Nagrakatta, 142 Mal, 154RI COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE (Areas are in Bigha)
11. 11 P ROCESS F OLLOWED …Announcements General meeting Technical tranining Regn Postering Farmers’ registration Demonstration in groups COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
12. 12 PARAMETERS F OLLOWED … Come along only if you want to learn something new with us. COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
13. 13 SRI IN M USTARDVar.Raijota
14. 14 SRI IN M USTARDVar.RP 09
15. 15 SRI IN W HEAT
16. 16 SRI IN W HEAT
17. 17 P ROBLEMS E NCOUNTERED … Lack of water for irrigation – no/very less water after March 1st week. Salinity is also a big issue. Failure of local seed. Mustard seed failure Unavailability of properly designed weeder. Birds picking up the seeds/small plants. Farmers shifting to other crops due to poor situation in Mustard. COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
18. 22 D ROP -O UT … 2000J 1800A 1600L 1400 Number of farmersP 1200A 1000I 800G 600 400U 200R 0I Series1 Registration 1636 Transplantation 1497 1st weeding 1214
19. 23 B UT W HAT I S T HE F UTURE ? No Local Shop? market Farmer Sustain- Less ability price COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
20. 24 Will ‘The System’ keep working this way….? CAN WE THINK OF A SOLUTION? COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
21. 25 We have a very strong and proven model – VRP (village resource person). Just think – what if we just reshape the model. COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
22. 26 SRI KENDRA COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
23. 27 H OW /W HAT W OULD I T W ORK ? Technical Training Registration SRI FARMERSRI KENDRA KendraFUTURE Services COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
24. 29 F UTURE …? Produce Village Produce Produce Village Village SRI Kendra COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
25. F UTURE … IS30 C OMMERCIALIZATION Platform • Village • Reliance • F Club • SRI • Tata Kendra Produce Market COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
26. 31 C OMMERCIALIZATION …W HY ? Optimization of production. Optimization of available resources. Promotion of organic agriculture – Certification such as Fair Trade etc. Fair price for the produce. Generation of Local Employment – no need to migrate 2000 km just to earn ` 4000 per month. COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE
27. 32 !!! COMMENCEMENT OF A SYSTEM INTO THE CONVENTIONAL AGRICULTURE