1. Advantages of weedingPeriodic management of weeds hasbeen one of the major factorscontributing towards the higherproductivity of paddy under SRI –1. Promotes healthy growth of rootsand consequently the plant2. Enhances the utilisation of biomass3. Facilitates proper aeration in thesoil4. Increased yields as a result of moreproductive tillers, large panicle size,more number of grains per panicle &increased grain weight
2. KB WEEDERHandle bent in the form of cycle A U-shaped bent has beenhandle to provide better grip to added to provide strength to thethe user. handle Length of the pipe decreased from 1050 mm to 850mm to ensure operational convenience An extra support has been provided at the point of bent Angle increased to 160° for better adaptability to persons 2 L-shaped support has been of different heights provided at two sides Length of the spikes increased from 90 mm to 100 mm for better mulching of soil
3. Manufacturing Units To provide the SRI adopters witheasy to use, low cost weeder, IDEI hasidentified and developed manufacturersin West Bengal. Contai Engineering Works in Contai,East Midnapore has the capacity toproduce 100 weeders. Jaber Engineering Works in Raiganj,North Dinajpur has the capacity toproduce 100 weeders. Modern Engineering works inCoochbehar also has the capacity toproduce 100 weeders.
4. Supply Chain The Weeders fabricated by the potentialmanufacturers are then passed on to dealers for sale in remote rural areas. At present there are 22 dealers located at Contai, Raiganj and Cooch Behar districts of West Bengal.
5. Quality and ProductionQuality control during Production:Strict quality control measures are taken at manufacturing unitthrough Quality Assurance ManagerPlan:Warranty of one yearEach weeder will have unique punch plate numbersWeeders will be sold under the Brand name KBProduction:Production just enough to meet IDEIs requirement of weederInterested organization can make a visit to the manufacturing units tounderstand the process
6. Quality and Production
7. And in Closing...Farmer Speak… “The KB Weeder cum Mulcher is an efficient device in its function and easy to use so as to reduce the drudgery on labour. Adding organic matter to the soil by mixing weeds with the soil has helped in increasing the yield of rice. It is really wonderful and stirring to see such a robust growth in rice”, says Asgar Ali, North Dinajpur, West Bengal. “I found that the stirring effect of the weeder has positive impact on the grain yield. I also found that the weeder use has a sort of earthing up effect and the plants produce new roots which probably help in additional nutrient uptake. Today I am a happy man as there is regular supply of rice for my family”, says a cheerful Ramhari Panda, Contai, West Bengal.