Why it’s not cool to insult
your favorite celebrities
By Tumblr user procrastveitor
• Calling people names is rude. The End.
• I really shouldn’t need to elaborate on
this, but I clearly do because I can
already hear your protests:
– “This is Tumblr, everyone does it!”
– “I don’t mean it to be offensive!”
– “They’d never think I was serious!”
– “It’s frustrating to love them so much!”
Let’s address these one by one, shall we?
“This is Tumblr, everyone does it!”
• “Everyone does it” is a bullshit reason to
• Like, THE most bullshit possible reason.
• Just because everyone does something
doesn’t mean it’s right.
“I don’t mean it to be offensive!”
• Guess what? Intent isn’t magical.
• Just because you don’t mean to be
offensive doesn’t mean someone won’t
• If they are offended, it’s not their fault
for misunderstanding you.
• Especially since it’s very easy to
misunderstand people on the internet.
“They’d never think I was serious!”
• And you know this how, exactly?
• You don’t know these celebrities
personally, so you can’t possibly know
how they’d react to you calling them
• “Well, neither can you!” This is true.
• However, someone who doesn’t use
Tumblr regularly most likely isn’t going
to be familiar with Tumblr “endearments”.
• Even if the celebrity in question IS familiar with
Tumblr “endearments,” that doesn’t mean they
won’t be offended.
• Why? Because, once again, intent isn’t magical.
• Even if you’re using it as a term of endearment,
an insult is still an insult. It’s still a word that’s
used to demean and hurt people.
• Therefore, celebrities are completely justified in
being offended by your “endearments,” and it’s
best not to use them unless you have the
“It’s frustrating to love them so
• I hear you.
• Believe me, I do. It IS frustrating to love
someone you know you’ll never have a
• But that’s still no excuse to call them names,
for all the reasons I’ve already mentioned.
• Try to focus on the happiness your favorite
celebrities bring you instead of the
Why not call them nice things
• Instead of calling your favorite celebrity an
asshole, fucker, little shit, etc., why not
– Cutie pie
Or any number of nice, non-offensive names.
“You can’t tell me what to say on
• You’re right. If you really want to call
people assholes and fuckers, I can’t stop
• I just hope you realize that what you’re
doing is rude and offensive, whether you
mean it to be or not.