• Share
  • Email
  • Embed
  • Like
  • Save
  • Private Content
Promotion and Monetization of Windows Phone Apps
 

Promotion and Monetization of Windows Phone Apps

on

  • 4,887 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
4,887
Views on SlideShare
3,190
Embed Views
1,697

Actions

Likes
2
Downloads
46
Comments
2

12 Embeds 1,697

http://devblog.ailon.org 833
http://blog.adduplex.com 758
http://feeds.feedburner.com 34
http://libreyextremo.blogspot.com 31
http://libreyextremo.blogspot.com.es 11
http://libreyextremo.blogspot.mx 11
http://localhost 8
http://libreyextremo.blogspot.com.ar 4
http://windowsphonesites.com 2
http://us-w1.rockmelt.com 2
http://www.linkedin.com 2
http://old.ailon.org 1
More...

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel

12 of 2 previous next

  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
  • I would recommend http://xappio.com for marketing and promotion of Windows Phone apps. I have used their services for a number of releases. I outsource development and have no time at all for marketing. Using xappio has been a real time saver and provided good results,
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
  • Why 'don't submit on friday' recommendation? Are you talking about submitting to AppHub or publishing?
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    Promotion and Monetization of Windows Phone Apps Promotion and Monetization of Windows Phone Apps Presentation Transcript

    • Marketing and Monetization of Windows Phone Apps
      Alan Mendelevich
      AdDuplex
      ailon@ailon.org
      @ailon
    • Richard Foster, once a DOS programmer and now working for the family dry cleaning business and developing mobile applications part-time for his company Edgeway Software, is ecstatic about the results he is seeing developing for Windows Phone 7.

      Richard has made $28,882 in four months with his suite of apps.
      Fast forward to February, and now I am making around $380 a day from ads from my 7 games.

      I’d like to start chronicling my experiences as I start doing my Full Time Indie Gig. I started going full time April 1st, 2011 …
      -- Elbert Perez , occasionalgamer.com
    • Did you know …
      Research shows that 20% of product’s success is determined by the product itself and the remaining 80% is marketing*
      * I totally made this up
    • Publish an App
    • 38 countries can submit directly, 102 - indirectly
    • Submitting an app
      App Hubhttp://create.msdn.comAvailable in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States.
      Global Publishing Partners
      APPA Market http://www.appamarket.com/
      Yalla Appshttp://www.yallaapps.com/
      App Hub – Free Apps Only*
    • Make Money
    • Front-end for your main service
    • “Kik Messenger Effect”
      22% higher than anticipated Android and iOS growth after launch on Windows Phone
    • Paid Apps
      Set a competitive price
      Consider psychology
      Consider who and where your customer is
      Set a price that makes business sense
      WP7 Developer ROI Calculatorhttp://www.wpdownunder.com/?p=2055
    • Trial
      Can’t try == won’t buy
      70% more purchases than without trials
      Counter example: Cocktail Flow
    • In-app purchases
      No built-in centralized mechanism
      Roll out your own
      Use 3rd party services (MoVend)
    • Free apps with ads
      Generally perform better than paid apps*
      Best suited for long/frequently running apps (games)
    • Ad networks
      Microsoft pubCenter
      Google AdMob
      Smaato
      Millennial Media
      Mobclix
      MobFox
      AdDuplex*
    • Fill rate
      Smaato: “Worldwide, the average ad network fill rate was 18% in Q2 2011”
      Maximize ad space value by multiple network fallbacks. Fallback to AdDuplex or in-house ads.
      Silverlight: Windows Phone 7 Ad Rotatorhttp://wp7adrotator.codeplex.com/
      XNA: ImproviSoft Ad Network Managerhttp://www.improvisoft.com
    • Promote your app, promote your app, promote your app, promote your app…
    • Don’t monetize your app on day one
      Photo by Ginny Washburne
    • Don’t monetize on day one
      Giving your app away is the cheapest and most effective marketing instrument you have
      RenéSchulte: “Helium Voice was released in November 2010 and has 18,773 downloads as of today. Helium Voice Free was released in March 2011 and has 143,002 downloads as of today.”
    • Case Study: Chicks'n'Vixens
      Released as absolutely free (while in beta)
      Went on to be #1 paid game for some time after switching to paid
      New version released as free with ads
    • Case Study: gMaps
      Started as absolutely free
      Added ads and a “Pro” version later
    • Release date is a feature
      Be the first to solve a problem
      René Schulte: “… this was quite important since it got a lot of attention for being the first real picture effects / photo filter app in the market. The big blogs like Gizmodo, Engadget and MSNBC covered a few of the must have WP7 apps and Pictures Lab got featured in all. I guess that helped to jump start the app.”
      With every SDK/OS release there’s a chance to be the first to utilize some previously unavailable capability
    • Before you launch…
    • Look native
      VS
    • Marketplace “SEO”
      Name
      Keywords
      Tile
    • Release Betas
      Beta-testers are your first evangelists
      Recruit beta-testers:
      WindowsPhoneBeta.com
      Twitter #wp7 #wpdev
    • Feedback loop
      Facilitate user feedback and ratings
      “Bad” feedback should go directly to you, good feedback – to the Marketplace
      Consider encouraging rating/review after a number of launches
      Good feedback
      Bad feedback
    • Publication
      Have everything to get featured
      background image is not required, but you won’t be featured without it
      Don’t submit on Friday
      Don’t auto-publish
    • Online presence
    • Demo video
      Easier to watch than try your app
      Great asset for marketing activities
    • Online presence
      Web site or section
      Facebook Page
      Twitter account
      Blog
    • Free promotion
    • Tip specialized blogs
      WPCentral.com, WMPowerUser.com, 1800PocketPC.com, BestWP7Games.com, WPCentras.lt (Lithuanian), WindowsPhone.lv (Latvian), WP7Rocks.com (Russian), etc.
      Make it personal
      Include short description
      maybe even something that looks like a review
      Link to your demo video. You made it, right?
    • Tweet and post to Facebook
      Decorate tweets with #wp7hashtag
      Tweet, retweet, post to Facebook from your personal accounts
      Help fellow developers (retweet, like, etc.)
      Temporarily change your avatar to app’s tile
      Mention app in your personal profiles
    • Monitor and react to feedback
      Monitor mentions of your app on Twitter, blogs, etc.
      Encourage transformation of positive mentions into 5* ratings
      React and address negative feedback
    • Social media integration
    • Show off your app everywhere!
      Show your app to your friends
      Show your app to Windows Phone enthusiasts
      Show your app to influential community and Microsoft people
    • Case Study: Wordament
    • Promote your app for free
      Utilize full potential of your ad space
    • Paid advertising
    • Paid advertising
      On the web
      Specialized blogs
      App catalog sites
      WP7AppList.com, appsfuze.com, windowsphoneapplist.com, etc.
      BuySellAds.com (search wp7)
      Directly on Windows Phone
      AdDuplex, AdMob, etc.
    • Summary
    • Did you know …
      Research shows that 20% of products success is determined by the product itself and the remaining 80% is marketing*
      * I totally made this up
    • Summary
      Marketing is at least as important as the app itself
      Starting with free is the cheapest and most effective marketing instrument
      Be creative, be active, utilize all channels.
    • Thank you!@ailonblog.adduplex.comailon@ailon.org