A process in which something changes completely into something else
Write as many adjectives as you can
Describe the cockroach
Describe your feelings about it
What kinds of insects are you afraid of?
What kinds of insects do you like?
Have you ever had a bad dream about an insect?
Do you know of any insects that people like to eat? Which ones?
Born in Prague
July 3, 1883
Small and thin but he was a thinker
Died of tuberculosis at the age of 40
Vocabulary for Comprehension
Paid for what I needed
Succeeded in finishing
Reading for Main Ideas, p 60
Gregor has become an insect
His family is frightened when they see Gregor.
Only his sister takes care of him, but she eventually stops.
He dies in his room as thinks of his family.
His family feels relieved when he dies.
Reading for Details, p. 60
Gregor panicked and said, “no, no, I will come out immediately.’
The manager began to back out of the room to leave, and Gregor realized he couldn’t let him go.
He slid under the couch and slept there until the morning.
5. The next morning, Gregor’s sister looked in and was surprised to see that he hadn’t eaten a thing.
6. The first few didn’t hurt him, but then one pierced his body, and he felt terrible pain.
7. His sister also began to care less and less about feeding him and cleaning his room.
8. We must find a way to get rid of this thing.
Reacting to the Reading, p 61
T: “Gregor, are you alright? Do you need anything?”
T: Gregor panicked and said, “No, no, I will come out immediately. I was sick, but now I feel much better.”
T: At the sight of him, the manager screamed, his mother fainted, and his father wept.
5. T: The family now left his door to the dining room open for two hours every night after dinner, and he could listen to their conversation. He really loved this.
6. T: His sister also began to care less and less about feeding him and cleaning his room.
Reading Two, p 64
The critics think this story is funny because of how Gregor learns to move his insect legs and body. It is sad because his family stops loving him when he becomes disgusting.
He wanted to use something that would represent Gregor as weak, cowardly, rough, and disgusting.
3. Gregor is weak and disgusting because he hates his job and doesn’t want to work to pay off the family debt. His family is like a parasite to him. By becoming a cockroach, Gregor becomes the parasite to his family, helpless and having no responsibility
4. Gregor becomes the disgusting son that nobody cares about. His family rejects him, while he loves them to the end.
Focus on Vocabulary, pp 64-65
4. Managed to
Style, p. 68
Put (it) in his mouth/ awful
I’m getting out of bed now.
Because his father didn’t work any longer
They did not comprehend anything he said
This must stop
Again his mother yelled, while the manager quickly left
Grammar, page 70
His family locked Gregor in his room to keep him there.
His father grabbed a walking stick and newspaper to beat Gregor.
Grete went into Gregor’s room every day to feed him
Gregor followed Grete into the dining room to help her
Gregor came out of his room to listen to the music.
His family took a train ride to celebrate his death