Aiden Yeh, PhD
Wenzao Ursuline University of
Elements of Message Strategy
• The creative team develops the message
• This actually occur before, during, or after
the creative process of searching for the
Message Strategy is…
• A simple description and explanation of an
ad campaign’s overall creative approach
• Main idea
• Details about how the idea will be
• And a rationale
Three components of message
• Verbal-what the ad should say, choice of
words, relationship of the copy approach
to the medium
• Non-verbal- ad’s graphics, visuals used,
overall ad appearance
• Technical – production (how the ad will be
produced, and any mandatories
(addresses, logos, and slogans)
What’s the message?
What does this ad say?
What is creativity?
Stimulates consumers’ thinking
Role of Creativity
It creates the ‘boom’ factor- the punchline
Visual and Verbal Metaphor
• Metaphor- a figure of speech in which a
word or phrase literally denoting one kind
of object or idea is used in place of
another to suggest a likeness or analogy
between them (as in drowning in money)
• Put a tiger in your tank.
• Fly the friendly skies.
• Own a piece of the rock.