1. JABATAN PEMBANGUNAN KEMAHIRAN KEMENTERIAN SUMBER MANUSIA ARAS 7 & 8 BLOK D4, KOMPLEKS D PUSAT PENTADBIRAN KERAJAAN PERSEKUTUAN 62502 PUTRAJAYA KERTAS PENERANGANKOD DAN NAMAPROGRAM / PROGRAM H-176-2 AUTOMATION TECHNICIANCODE AND NAMENO DAN TAJUK MODUL/ M09 ROBOT MAINTENANCEMODULE NO AND TITLENO DAN PERNYATAAN 09.01 CARRY OUT ROBOTS CONDITION CHECKTUGASAN / TASK(S) NO 09.02 CARRY OUT ROBOT SAFETY CHECKAND STATEMENTNO. DAN PENGALAMAN LE01 IDENTIFY TYPES OF ROBOTPEMBELAJARAN / LE02 PREPARE CHECKING TOOL &LANGKAH / EQUIPMENT LE03 CHECK ROBOT CONDITIONS AND SAFETYNO. AND LEARNINGEXPERIENCE/ STEPS LE04 RECORD ROBOT CONDITIONS PERFORM MAINTENANCE OF ROBOT USING MANUFACTURER’S SPECIFICATION,ROBOT PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE,PROGRAMMING MANUALS AND DATA BOOK,LOGBOOK,CHECKLIST,HANDOBJEKTIF MODUL / TOOLS,SPECIAL TOOLS,REPORT FORMS ETC.SO THATMODULE OBJECTIVE TYPES OF ROBOT IDENTIFIED,CONDITION AND SAFETY CONDITION CHECKED AND RECORDED IN ACCORDANCE WITH JOB SPECIFICATION REQUIREMENT AND STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES.NO. KOD / CODE NO H-176-2/M09/KP(1/4) Muka : 01 Drp :TITLE : TYPES OF ROBOTAIM : This explanatory paper is intended to describe the preparations needed to identify the types ofrobots, symbols, terminology, specifications Robot, schematic / block diagram, Programming Language,and Function Robot. By the trainees will acquire the information, skills and knowledge base robot.
2. CLASIFICATION OF INDUSTRIAL ROBOTSThere are 6 different types of robots classification found in usage today .There are:1. Cartesian / Gantry robot2. Cylindrical robot3. Spherical / Polar robot4. SCARA robot5. Articulated robot (joint-arm, revolute) and6. Parallel robotRobotic Joints• A robot joint is a mechanism that permits relative motion between parts of arobot arm.• Relative Motion: Rotational, Radial, Vertical• These basic movements, independently or in combination with others, define thecomplete motion of the end effector…Joints• Prismatic (sliding, linear) “L”: The cross section of the joint is considered as a generalized prism.• Revolute “R”, “T”, ”V”: Angular motion between links Figure 1 ”Joints”1.Cartesian / Gantry robotIt is used for pick and place work, application of sealant, assembly operations,handling machine toolsand arc welding.It’s a robot whose arm has three prismatic / linear joints whose axes are coincidentwith a cartesian coordinator.
3. Figure 2 ”Cartesian / Gantry robot” • A cartesian moves in three liner axes • The box-shaped work envelope within which a Cartesian-coordinates • An overhead crane,its movement are similar to the cartesian-coordinatesAdvantages:• 3 Linear axes• Easy to visualise• Rigid structure• High load capacity• Big workspaceDisadvantage:• Requires large floor space• Low speedApplication area:• Palletizing• Packaging• Commissioning
4. Chip Handling Palletizing / Handling Figure 3 ”Cartesian / Gantry robot”2. Cylindrical robotIt is used for assembly operations, handling at machine tools, spot welding, and handling at die-casting machines.Its a robot whose axes form a cylindrical coordinate system. Figure 4 “Cylindrical robot”Advantages: • 2 Linear axes, one rotating axis • Can reach all around itself • Reach and height axes rigid • Rotational axis easy to seal
5. Disadvantage: • Cannot reach above itself • Base rotation axis is less rigid than a linear axis • Horizontal motion is circular3. Spherical / Polar robotIt is used for handling tools, spot welding, die-casting, fettling machines,gas weldingand arc welding. Its a robot whose axes form a polar coordinate system. This type ofrobot is rarely used today. Figure 5 “Spherical / Polar robot”4. SCARA robot (Selective Compliance Assembly Robot Arms)SCARA is an acronym for Selective Compliance Assembly Robot Arm. It is usedfor pick and place work, application of sealant, assembly operations and handlingmachine tools. It’s a robot which has two parallel rotary joints to provide compliance ina plane. Figure 6 “SCARA robot (Selective Compliance Assembly Robot Arms)”
6. Figure 7 “Configuration: 2-3 rotational joints, 1 linear joint”Advantages:• very fast horizontal movements• One linear axis,two rotating axes• High stiffnes in the vertical direction/Height axis is rigid• Very high repeatability• Large work area for floor spaceDisadvantages:• Working area only in a plane• Low load capacity• Difficult to program off-line• Highly complex armApplication area:• Palletizing• Commissioning Figure 8 “SCARA ROBOT”
7. 5. Articulated robot / Revolute robotThis is the robot which we will study further in this class. It is used for assemblyoperations, die-casting, gas welding, arc welding, and spray painting. Its a robot whose arm has atleast three rotary axes. Figure 9 “Articulated robot / Revolute robot”
8. Configuration: 5-6 rotational jointsAdvantages:• 3-dimensional workspace• high accuracy• fast movements• high load capacity• arbitrary ( 6 joints) orientation of gripperApplications:• palletizing• assembly• welding• painting• surface processing• workpiece and tool handling• quality control6. Parallel robotOne use of this robot is a mobile platform handling cockpit flight simulators. It’s arobot arms have concurrent prismatic/linear or rotary joints. Figure 10 “Parallel robot”
9. EXERCISE: 1. List down Industrial Robot classification 2. Explain the configuration of SCARA and GANTRY robot 3. In your opinion, which robot configuration will give a big impact for the long term investment of robot usage in any production line? If you say that so, please explain why it can beREFERENCES : 1 Yaakup Bin Saad, Mohammad Afiq dan Sahidan Tahir (2001), “Pengenalan Sistem Robot”, Venton Publishing, Kuala Lumpur, ISBN: 983-2031-32-X. 2 M. Manimaran (2003), “Jenis-jenis Robot”, Kings Information Co. Ltd Taiwan, ISBN: 957-466- 981-5. 3 www.notakom.tripod.com, Spesifikasi Robot, 15 Feb 2010, 3.15 pm