• It is the production of a generalized
central nervous system seizure
produced by means of an electric
• It is to exceed the main seizure
threshold , which here is accomplished by
• If this threshold is not exceeded the
MODE OF ACTION;
• Not well understood.
• In animal studies , however , it has been
noticed to increase the sensitivity of norepinephrine and serotonin receptors.
INDICATIONS FOR ECT;
• 70-85% Effective in treatment of severe
depression , particularly when agitation and
delusion are present with it. In addition in
with suicidal tendency,
delay in treatment is a
risk to health,
to drink and eat,
OTHER INDICATIONS ARE;
Manic disorders and psychosis in pregnancy.
Acute schizophrenia , not generally only
drugs are un-effective, or
urgent need of treating the
• In elderly patients with risks of s/e of drugs.
METHOD OF ECT;
given by I/V short acting anesthetic
(THIOPENTAL 125-150mg)---for sleep,
and a muscle relaxant
• Application of electrodes to brain:
80V for 100-300ms 4-8times for 3-4wks.
METHOD OF ECT (contd.)
• Treatment after ECT:
antidepressant) for few months to
• Transient memory loss depending upon , No.
and frequency of ECT,
Oxygenation during ECT with anesthesia,
Use of LITHIUM with ECT (previously).
Headache for few hrs to a day or so.
Defects in new learning in few people.
(GENERALLY THESE SIDE EFFECTS ARE
SEEN IN THOSE WITH INEFFECTIVE ECT)
PREVIOUSLY SEEN SIDE
• Before anesthesia was used in ECT;
compression fractures were common.
• In 1/1000 cases cardiovascular or
respiratory complications develop.
• These complications are preventable if
contraindications are kept under
consideration , along with care during