1. The Statue of Zeus at Olympia Written by Lin Donn Illustrated by Phillip Martin
2. The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
3. The Seven Wonders Selected by the Ancient Greeks When the ancient Greeks decided to select seven wonders from the many impressive structures that had been constructed throughout history, there was a lot of argument about which structures to select. Over the years, many different lists were created. Finally, a list was presented that most Greeks agreed included the seven most wondrous wonders, each a unique achievement.
4. The Statue of Zeus at Olympia There was absolutely no argument about the Statue of Zeus. It was a world wonder – everyone knew that! Zeus was the king of the ancient Greek gods. Olympia was the city that hosted the Ancient Greek Olympic Games. The statue could have been the size of a peanut, and still the Ancient Greeks would have selected it. But it truly was a magnificent structure.
5. The Statue of Zeus at Olympia The Temple of Zeus was completed in 456 BCE. Like the Parthenon and the Temple of Artemis, Doric columns were used to support the structure. It was built in Olympia to honor Zeus and the Greek Olympic Games.
6. The Statue of Zeus at Olympia Today, little remains of the temple or the once magnificent Statue of Zeus within it. But the spirit of the Olympic Games lives on!
7. The Statue of Zeus at Olympia To learn more, explore: Ancient Greek Olympics Games & Activities
8. Visit the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World Great Pyramid at Giza Hanging Gardens of Babylon Statue of Zeus at Olympia Temple of Artemis at Ephesus Mausoleum at Halicarnassus Colossus of Rhodes Lighthouse at Alexandria
9. Help yourself to FREE Clip Art & Templates Free Seven Wonders Clip Art Free Templates