Three Practices that Weakened the
• Many village priests ____________.
• Bishops sold ___________. This called
• Kings were appointing ___________.
The Great Schism – Crisis #2
1. French pope elected and capital
moved from Italy to France (weakened
2. French pope dies; people want an
3. Italian pope is chosen; people later
4. Second (French) is elected now
there are two popes (Great Schism)
5. Resolution: a third pope
6. Real resolution: council forces all three
popes to resign and picked a new
pope greatly weakened papacy
The Hundred Years’ War –
But before we get into the
details…we have to examine the
players: England & France…
William the Conqueror invades
England in 1066. (non-Anglo ruler;
French is added to the English
Henry II (1154-1189) introduces the
use of jury in English courts.
John (1199-1216) agrees to the Magna
Carta in 1215.
•Magna Carta is the first
document to limit the king’s
power (very important to
remember!!!) and contains basic
Edward I (1272-1307) calls the Model
Parliament in 1295.
Hugh Capet increases the territory of
Phillip II (1180-1223) established
bailiffs to preside over courts and
Louis IX (1226-1270) creates a French
Philip IV (1285-1314) adds Third Estate
(commoners) to Estates General
Leading to the war…
• The last Capetian king left no heir.
• England’s Edward III, grandson of Philip IV,
claimed the right to the French throne and starts
• Lasted from 1337-1453 (116 years)
– Feelings of nationalism in both countries (fighting for
– French monarch gains power
– England – war of the Roses
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.