Establishment of Milk Collection Center. NWICDP, Somaliland.
Establishment of Milk Collection
Mr Sulub Aman
• The livelihood of livestock herders particularly
women will be improved.
• Family income will be increased.
• Rural women will be empowered by being
economically self sufficient.
• Milk trade is predominately carried out by
women in Somaliland
• Women have an ample experience in milk
• Milk selling is purely income for rural women
• Milk selling covers day to day family expenses
• To empower women by increasing their
• To reduce burden of over load work for rural
• To save time and have time to other activities
• Women groups established.
• Women groups were empowered by providing
• Women groups were given business plan and
• Women groups were disbursed seed capital
for us$ 2,000.00.
• Yes!! Learnt from Rayale cooperative VDC in
particular family owned milk collection center
as service providers to the cooperative
members. Also it was creation jobs to youth.
• Instead family private business, we propose to
work as women group innovation.
• Farmers bring their milk to collection center
sell to the service provider.
• To improve Milk quality to sell better price.
• To reduce spoiling of milk on the road.
• To save time spending to sending milk to
• Establish community women group owned
Milk Collection Center.
• Sell milk collectively to have strong bargain.
• Reduce spoiling milk
• Attract milk consumers and other traders buy
at the community center.
• Reduce cost of transporting milk to market as
• Rural women groups
• Livestock owners
• Milk processing enterprises
• Milk traders
• Milk consumers
• Boarding Schools
• Rural women groups
• Dairy processing enterprises
• Setting criteria of selection (1 wk)
• Contacting of experience actors (1wk)
• Selection of partners (1wk)
• Selection of the rural community (1wk)
• Selection of the site (1wk)
• Training skills as needed (2-3wk)
• Sensitizing and mobilizing rural target community (1wk)
• Mobilizing resources (3-4 months)
• Provision all materials/equipments as needed (3-6 months)
• Construction of cooling room /stainless tanker (45 days)
• Setting electricity unit
• After skill trainings such as business
management, maintenance, sales, and women
empowered they will be able sustain their small
project. Community Participatory M&E system
will be development and trained. Indicators such
as numbers livestock owners bring/selling milk to
collection will be registered daily, amount milk
collected daily be recorded, amounts per day will
recorded, profits made daily will be recorded,
number of clients will be registered weekly.
• The community selection and pricing of
material will be consulted with our field
officers and procurement/logistics officer