1. Web and Social Media Strategies
Chris More – Associate Director
Max Spiegel – Web and Social Media Strategist
• Web Strategy
• Extension County Websites
• Social Media Strategies
• Team Collaboration
3. Extension County Website Template
4. Extension County News
5. Extension County News Edit
6. Extension County Events
7. Extension County Event Edit
8. Extension County Directory
9. Extension County Office Directions
10. Extension County 4-H Program
11. The big question…
When will it be available to all counties?
How do I get started?
• September-November: Currently finalizing the
template with two pilot counties: Clinton and
• December: Launch two pilot websites
• Early 2011: Other counties will be contacted for
training and to get started.
12. Next steps for counties
• Hold from creating any new county-based websites
or performing any major redesigns.
• Purge or trim off old content that is no longer
relevant (newsletters from 1999).
• Review the two pilot sites after they are launched
• The Web Services team will contact the counties
when they are ready to move into Plone.
• Focus on content and visitor needs
13. Social Media
The Why & How
(To Be Awesome)
14. Web 1.0 vs. Web 2.0
• Web 1.0
• Web as information
• Billboard or postcard
• Web 2.0
• Web as participation
• Information sharing
15. What’s the point?
16. They’re Talking Whether You Are or Not.
17. Web 2.0 Toolsets
18. Web 2.0 Toolsets Categories
19. Market Share
• Would you start a business at the end of an empty
• Go where the party is at!
20. How to Behave
• Old rules still apply!
• Know the room
• Look appropriate
• Sound smart
• Observe and adjust
• Make a connection
• Brag modestly
21. Twitter Good Practices
• Follow those who you want to follow you
• Cross link your efforts
• Tweet about a YouTube video you uploaded
• Be welcoming & friendly - say hello to your new followers or folks that
you would like to get to know.
• Engage people - ask questions and respond to queries that interest you.
• Be humorous - funny Tweets really help to break up the timeline.
• Inform - provide useful information and news items.
• Monitor self-promotion - it is fine to promote your projects and work,
but nobody likes to be spammed all day
• Promote others - “retweet” liberally and highlight good work.
• Listen - there’s no need to dominate the conversation all the time, so
spend some time just reading what others are saying/Tweeting.
• Be human - not always obvious but most important, being a “real”
person is probably the most important trait of any effective Twitter user.
22. If you build it, will they come?
• Do we place a yellow page ad, and then ask what
we can do to get people to look at it?
• People must be looking for it
• Search engine optimization techniques
• Pay per click/impression advertisements
(Google, Facebook, YouTube)
• Diligence & patience
• Be Interesting
• What’s already going on?
• Think about them, not us
• What can we add to their social network?
• Steal this content!
• Share on social networks
• “Like” or “Recommend” buttons
25. Share and Connect
26. Google Alerts
27. What’s RSS?
28. “Push” your content
29. “Distribute” your content
30. Impact on Facebook
• Geographic and
• Number of
quality” and more.
31. Impact on Twitter
32. Impact on YouTube
• How are people
• “Hot spots”
33. Feedburner Stats
34. Google Analytics and Campaigns
35. Social Media Recap
• Talk about others
• Go where the party is at
• Allow your content to be shared
• Be interesting!
36. Collaboration with Teambox
• Communication and collaboration tool for
teams and projects.
• Move the conversation from inbox to an online
• Available to anyone with a Penn State or friends
of Penn State account. Anyone can create a
• Similar design to Facebook groups and Twitter,
but on an internal and secure server.
37. Teambox Project
38. Teambox New Conversation
39. Teambox Email Notifications
40. Teambox Tasks
41. Teambox Pages
42. Teambox Get Started
• Create account at:
• Penn State Web Access ID: abc123
• Email: The primary email address you use
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Need help?
• Go to http://agsci.psu.edu and search college for
Chris More email@example.com (@chrismore)
Max Spiegel firstname.lastname@example.org (@maxspiegel)