1. Being a Ruby developer in Oz Andrew Grimm Pre-Sapporo RubyKaigi Tokyo meetup
2. Outline● Ruby events in Australia ● Meetups ● Hack nights ● Railscamps ● Rubyconf au● Working in Australia● Living in Australia
3. Ruby events in Australia
5. Hack nights● Held every month in Sydney● Sometimes have theme● Sometimes people suggest topics on the night● Try to collaborate
6. Railscamps● Held twice a year● Hacking, talks, including showing off what you worked on during the weekend● Drinking, werewolf, card games, settlers of Catan, obstacle courses, and drinking● By far the most regular railscamps in the world ● Maybe we like drinking!
7. Rubyconf au● Held next year for first time● Call for proposals currently open● Please submit a proposal!
8. Working in Australia
9. Pay● Good news: Australian economy has not suffered like America, Europe and Japan. Were in the middle of a resources boom.● Bad news: Real estate (and cost of living) is very expensive
10. Foreigners working in Australia● Several RORO attendees are from foreign countries● Some people have encountered problems with bureaucracy● Others have found Australia much better than elsewhere● Country of origin shouldnt be a problem outside of academia● Academia may recognise some universities more than others
11. Work culture● Smaller programming scene (but less competition)● Smaller startup scene
12. Living in Australia
13. Egalitarian society● Australia sees itself as a very egalitarian society● Customers ride in the front of taxis● We dont tip (Japan doesnt tip, but we dont tip because were too rude, Japan doesnt tip because theyre too polite)● One of the oldest democracies in the world● America got the puritans, while we got the convicts ● We joke we got the better part of the deal
14. Attitudes towards Japanese people● As good as the attitudes of most western countries towards nihonjin● Australia has lots of migrants from lots of countries, so you wont stick out
15. Deadly wildlife● We do have a wide variety of interesting wildlife ● Even male platypuses are venomous!● But the risk for someone sipping a latte in Sydney is pretty low