• Can news find a home on YouTube?
• What can YouTube provide that CNN cannot?
• What are traditional media corporationsdoing
to keep up?
• Why is Civic Journalism a problem?
• Morris Jones – Nieman Reports
• Will News Find a Home on YouTube?
• “…online amateur video is likely to remain as
generally pointless as the home pages and
blogs that preceded it.”
•Popular media views are
three times that of “news”
•Britney Spears has been
viewed more times than
•What do audiences really
•YouTube is ranked 6th in number of
visits in the 3 years the site
been tracking web traffic.
•CNN is 27th
•The New York Times site doesn’t
even make the top 50
•Where has the news gone?
•What is filling its shoes?
•Does YouTube have the potential to fill the news hole left by
dying newspaper companies and struggling traditional media in a
time of digital transition?
•How has “on-demand” news and entertainment changed what
information has become important to us?
•Is the overwhelming popularity of entertainment media an
obstacle for us to remain engaged, democratically responsible