o Issue Counter
o Reading Area
o Librarian’s Cabin
o Thinking Room
o Faculty Room
LIBRARIAN : Vidya Dhanwantari
MA (sociology), M. Lib & ISC, M. Phil
LIBRARY ASSISTANT : Urmila Ghatge
BA (Marathi), M. Lib & ISC
LIBRARY ATTENDANT : Shobha Koditkar
The given posts take care of the following:
Circulation & fine on late issues.
Requirements & queries
House keeping management
Pattern of Working
o Serial Control
1. ACQUISITION (Purchases)
Types of Books Acquired
• Approval Based - Brought from the vendor
• Faculty Recommended - Books that are purchased due to
recommendation of various faculty, and authorized by the
After Selection Of Books
Process of Purchase
(detailed entry of books)
a] After Billing; books are sent to the librarian for
cataloging the given entries:
Place of Publish
Year of Publish
b] Additional Entries
Name of Vendor
Cost after discount
c] Due date & Stamp Date Stamping
d] New Books are then put on display
3. CLASSIFICATION :
According to subject, classification number,
unique number, for subject.
4. CIRCULATION :
Shelving of Books is done by subject-wise classification of
Issue of Books
• Books are issued for 15 days.
• Re-issuing can be done.
• Full PRN no registered in software with book
• User cards will be issued to sign for issue & return of books
from now on
5. SERIAL CONTROL
Serially magazines & periodicals come in
Books come in on approval
Magazines come in by subscription (Yearly
Previous year magazines are bound together to make one
volume (Ex: According to the month)
Printing of user cards, due date stamping etc.
o More than 4674 books
o Around 400 CD ROMs
o Around 50 Periodicals
o 458 AV collections
o 19 International & 5 online journals. 26 Indian Journals
o Internet facility
o Software enabling one search machine for any book magazine
o ILL : issuing of different books from different Symbiosis
o Institutional Membership : Yearly membership with British
Council library with 20 cards made available for staff &
• Since bags are not allowed inside the library, they are kept unguarded outside the
• Some books are kept in a way that they are not displayed properly. Which makes
student unaware of their availability.
• There is not judicious utilization of space
• The shelves are placed too close to each other.
• It becomes suffocating to stand inside for too long.
• It becomes difficult for two people to stand and pick a book at
the same time from opposite shelves.
• Also if two doors of shelves are open, a person cannot move
in or out of the shelves.
• The books are placed till the lowest shelf. It gets difficult to sit down and look for a
book in a congested scenario such as this.
• For a library to have a a glass door or big glass window can be
• Parts of the library are not very well
lit up for a person to read.
Areas of Improvement
o Air Conditioner
o Extra Library Staff for the library reception.
o RFIED System : Radio frequency Identification.
o Better utilization of space
o Access to books for lending and study and the
o Shelves without doors so the space used for the door
o Comfortable chairs
o Better lighting
o Book Club