1. WHAT LIBRARIES CAN OFFER YOU AGNIESZKA KANCZAK Daventry, 19 th June 2009
2. The library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life /Henry Ward Beecher/
3. 21 st Century with the progressive globalization has created the new model of society called the information society in which the most important thing is access to the information. New channels of informations, Internet and electronic facilities cause lots of difficulties for adults users. Libraries play a vital role in creating modern information society and help people to find themselves in this new world.
4. Types of libraries <ul><li>Public libraries </li></ul><ul><li>School libraries </li></ul><ul><li>Academic libraries </li></ul><ul><li>Special libraries (i.e. law library, medical library, science library) </li></ul>
5. Public library The public library is the local centre of information, making all kins of knowledge and information readily available to its users. The services of the public library are provided on the basic of equality of access for all, regardless of age, race, sex, religion, nationality, language and social status. /IFLA/UNESCO, Public Library Manifesto, 1994/
6. What libraries can offer their users? <ul><li>Books </li></ul><ul><li>Magazines </li></ul><ul><li>Information (reference) services </li></ul><ul><li>Life long learning </li></ul><ul><li>Cultural and social activities </li></ul><ul><li>Special services </li></ul><ul><li>MOST OF THESE SERVICES ARE FREE !!! </li></ul>
7. Books and magazines Libraries offer huge range of fiction and non-fiction books in different types: paper books, audio books, books in large print. You can also find newspapers, magazines and journals. You can read them on site or you can take them home. All resources are easily searchable in catalogues. Books not available in your local library can be borrowed from other libraries (inter-loan) In your library you can also find lots of DVDs and CDs with movies.
8. Information services Libraries cover all information needs for their users. You can find local, business and scientific information. Library staff is also happy to help you with enquires in other subjects, for fun, health, culture and everyday problems. In library you can find different sources of information - dictionaries, reference books, yearbooks, maps, on-line data bases and resources on CDs or DVDs.
9. Life long learning experience Libraries follow all users' educational needs. In library you can find books and resources to cover your needs. Qualified library staff is always happy to help with searching and choosing the best materials for you to develop your skills and hobbies. Libraries offer also computer trainings for adults, Internet usage trainings in groups or in one-to-one sessions. Your local library can also arrange other workshops.
10. Cultural and social activities Libraries provide focus for cultural and artistic development in your community. You can find informations about all local events. Libraries offer displays, organize cultural events and meetings. In library you can also join the reading group and have opportunity to meet people. Local library offer services for all community members and try also to fit to the needs of foreign languages speakers by providing books and materials in common spoken community languages.
11. Libraries in your community Local library is a key agency in local community for collection, preservation and promotion of local culture and its diversity. In library you can find materials such books, data bases, newspapers, leaflets, posters, information about all local events. You can also find collection of materials on the history of your region – old newspapers, photographs, family historians and local interest books. Local library offer services for all community members and try also to fit to the needs of foreign languages speakers by providing books and materials in common spoken community languages.
12. Special services <ul><li>Libraries offer services for all users, even if they are disabled or live further away from the library. </li></ul><ul><li>SPECIAL SERVICES INCLUDE: </li></ul><ul><li>Mobile library services </li></ul><ul><li>Home library services </li></ul><ul><li>Sound read services </li></ul><ul><li>Libraries also offer 24 hours, on-line service, directly from your home, i.e. : on-line catalogue, books renewals, access to on-line reference resources. </li></ul><ul><li> </li></ul>
13. ENJOY YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY ! Thank you for your attention.